What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Good to see Smith understand this.

On another note, how come Kiwis can't understand that bowling underarm was well within the rules when it happened in 1981?

What Kiwi has said it was not in the rules?

Howarth at the time was upset because it was not in the rules applying to English cricket at the time, but was informed of it's lawfulness under World Series Cricket rules which had not been updated. Post 'underarm 1981' many cricket rules around the world outlawed underarm bowling. I think they all do now.

Are you defending the underarm as being in the rules? Spirit of cricket is too vague to draw a line? Just if it's within the rules, then it's fine? If so, to at least be consistent you must have no issue with Douglas Jardine bowling bodyline to Don Bradman then. Totally within the rules at the time.

Last edited:
What Kiwi has said it was not in the rules?

Howarth at the time was upset because it was not in the rules applying to English cricket at the time, but was informed of its lawfulness under World Series Cricket rules which had not been updated. Post 'underarm 1981' many cricket rules around the world outlawed underarm bowling. I think they all do now.

Are you defending the underarm as being in the rules? Spirit of cricket is too vague to draw a line? Just if its within the rules, then its fine? If so, to at least be consistent you must have no issue with Douglas Jardine bowling bodyline to Don Bradman then. Totally within the rules at the time.

Nah, I'm just trolling ya really.

I have no problem with Jardine either.

Anyway, didn't Rod Marsh apologise for it in the tea break the other day? So we're all sweet now?

Last edited:

2 weeks

Coach
Yah Nevill is a good keeper but in this era keepers are also extra batsmen,nobody in this day and age gets selected purely for there keeping,if a keeper cannot bat they don't get selected,Nevill could be regarded as the greatest keeper of all time but if he averaged 15 with the bat in first class he wouldn't get picked in the first place.

Ya feel me playa

Feelin' ya like you're a peado

Neville is only a kid at this test batting stuff, so i'll cut him some slack while he is doing his main job of keeping so well

Wade might be a better batsman on figures, but he also nearly destroyed Nathan Lyon's career

Know what i'm saying

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
:lol: sorry, wouldn't catch me dead in an Eels jersey - I do have a Peter Sterling testimonial t-shirt though

I suspect it's you, Hiney or twizzle to be fair

too ugly to be me

Hiney, Undertaker or El Diablo

If its a ranga it Bazal

Iafeta

Referee
Gaps galore in the NZ test team, and finally a good team exposed them.

1. For such a good hitter of a cricket ball, Guptill is a nervous wreck in test cricket. The second innings dismissal was lol worthy. Completely played the wrong line altogether. Looked like he wasn't watching the ball.
2. Latham is a perennial walking wicket when set. He seems about ten times more talented than John Wright and Bruce Edgar, but a tenth of the concentration ability.
3. No spin bowler. At all. Real problem.
4. Seamers have gone so far backwards under Dimitri Mascarenhas it's not funny. I get the feeling he may have been pushed out or knew the writing was on the wall. Tim Southee under Shane Bond and Allan Donald was bowling like Josh Hazlewood. Now he bowls like Rodney Latham or Justin Vaughan.
5. Southee should really bat at 11. Very precious. Lol, remember the talk after his first test that he was the next Chris Cairns. Batting wise he's Andre Adams-esque at best. What a massive under achiever. It troubles me that he seems to be completely unaccountable for throwing his wicket away.
6. The seamers have lost their swing. In all formats Bond had them swinging it late.
7. They need Taylor going for a few years. You can't operate with just one top line batsman.

Strengths are still Williamson and Watling. Boults faded but I think his swing can be coached back in. Not convinced Shane Jurgenson is the answer. Bond needs to be in the set up one way or the other. Maybe he can be freed up at IPL time, although I think travel is a problem for him.

simmo1

First Grade
Was expecting this series to be much closer. Bowling looks to have improved remarkably since England, and the batting was good too - although I would have liked to see us have a go batting first and see if lessons have been learnt since Trent Bridge.

Sad to see McCullum go, always one of my favourite players to watch. I think NZ might have missed their window here to be ranked among the top teams. Need Boult and Southee to find form again, because that batting line up is very shaky.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
THERE are Australian players privately seething at being forced to cop despicable abuse from New Zealand crowds that has in certain instances vilified their partners and children.

Australia were blindsided on Wednesday by the dissent charge levelled against captain Steven Smith, given the ICC had previously indicated they were only reprimanding Josh Hazlewood over the ugly umpiring furore that occurred on day four.

Match referee Chris Broad was seen in animated discussion with a senior Australian team official before play on Wednesday, before the message was passed onto Smith after the match that he too was being hauled over the coals – a charge which he immediately pleaded guilty to.

While copping his punishment on the chin, Smith launched a passionate defence of his team and said a perception that the Australians were the bad guys of world cricket was untrue.

Although on-field demeanour and crowd abuse are two different matters, some Australian players are upset at the lack of attention paid by security to deeply offensive material that’s been directed their way.

Explicit taunts referencing players’ wives and girlfriends in a sexual manner started up in the first ODI match of the tour at Eden Park in Auckland, and has continued.

However, most distressing for some players has been the naming of their children in vile abuse that in some circumstances has spanned entire days’ play.

A spectator was removed from Hagley Oval on day four for relentlessly abusing fast bowler Josh Hazlewood, but largely there is a frustration that New Zealand officials haven’t done enough to stamp out unacceptable behaviour in the stands.

Australian crowds have been embroiled in controversies of their own over the years and players are used to copping abuse – however privately they believe New Zealand crowds cross the line.

Retired stars like Glenn McGrath, Simon Katich, Michael Kasprowicz, Michael Bevan and Stuart Law were all subjected to abuse and projectiles thrown from Kiwi crowds for years, and on this tour Australian security officials have been extra vigilant in doing laps of the ground and liaising with ground security.

The Australians also privately feel as though New Zealand have pulled the wool over people’s eyes with their spirit of cricket routine.

It’s understood Black Caps fielders Henry Nicholls and Tom Latham were warned by umpires on day four for deliberately throwing the ball into the wicket trying to scuff it for reverse swing – just 24 hours after the Australians had been publicly outed for doing the same thing.

Smith was caught by a stump microphone using an expletive when questioning umpire Martinesz about the decision to give Kane Williamson not out lbw – but said he and Hazlewood overstepping the line did not reflect the image of the Australian team.

“I don’t think we’re not nice guys. I think we play a good, hard, aggressive brand of cricket,” said Smith.

“As I’ve said a number of times, I guess for us it’s about knowing where that line is and myself and Josh Hazlewood have crossed that line in this Test match. That’s not what we’re about and hopefully we can learn from that and continue to develop as a team and get better.”

Perhaps most embarrassingly for Hazlewood and Smith is how their reaction to a perceived bad call by the umpire compared to New Zealand’s placid reaction to copping two absolute howlers this summer from match officials.

Smith has butted heads with Brendon McCullum previously over the Black Caps skipper’s tendency to cast judgement on others for what he perceives to be a lack of spirit.

But Smith concedes he can learn from the retiring McCullum in his bid to handle similar situations more appropriately in the future.

“Brendon’s been a great ambassador and a great captain and leader for the game,” Smith said.

“I can learn a bit off the way he’s done things. We’ve talked quite a bit and he gave me a bit of criticism in England with the Ben Stokes dismissal.

“We’ve talked a little bit about that. I’m still young in my career as a leader and you try and learn from different things.

“Yesterday was a mistake on my behalf and I’ve been hit with a code of conduct (charge) because of it.

“To me it’s about trying to learn from my mistakes and trying to get this team moving forward in the right direction and playing the good, aggressive brand of cricket that we play so well.

“We know that there’s a line we can’t cross.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...n/news-story/9f4078f8e41c4b1fc3e2b27c7ae38b45

ANTiLAG

First Grade

1. For such a good hitter of a cricket ball, Guptill is a nervous wreck in test cricket. The second innings dismissal was lol worthy. Completely played the wrong line altogether. Looked like he wasn't watching the ball.
2. Latham is a perennial walking wicket when set. He seems about ten times more talented than John Wright and Bruce Edgar, but a tenth of the concentration ability.
4. Seamers have gone so far backwards under Dimitri Mascarenhas it's not funny. I get the feeling he may have been pushed out or knew the writing was on the wall. Tim Southee under Shane Bond and Allan Donald was bowling like Josh Hazlewood. Now he bowls like Rodney Latham or Justin Vaughan.
5. Southee should really bat at 11. Very precious. Lol, remember the talk after his first test that he was the next Chris Cairns. Batting wise he's Andre Adams-esque at best. What a massive under achiever. It troubles me that he seems to be completely unaccountable for throwing his wicket away.
6. The seamers have lost their swing. In all formats Bond had them swinging it late.
7. They need Taylor going for a few years. You can't operate with just one top line batsman.

Strengths are still Williamson and Watling. Boults faded but I think his swing can be coached back in. Not convinced Shane Jurgenson is the answer. Bond needs to be in the set up one way or the other. Maybe he can be freed up at IPL time, although I think travel is a problem for him.

Bond is BBL as well as IPL. He has a few kiwis in his IPL team but NZC cannot afford Vettori, Flem or Bond as coaches anytime soon. IPL and BBL money is too sweet for so little work. Just ask Bmac. BBL clashes with home summer so NZC is whistling dixie wanting or waiting for them in any real or meaningful near fulltime capacity anytime soon.

Hesson should be locked in before IPL want him. If WCT20 is a surprise success, he will be in high demand after his limited overs success.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, cause players touring Australia never cop abuse, do they? :lol:

I don't like it, but rich for Australians to be annoyed :lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah, cause players touring Australia never cop abuse, do they? :lol:

I don't like it, but rich for Australians to be annoyed :lol:

To be fair, even I thought that "David Warner likes Nickelback" sign was going too far. I can understand the whinging about that.

He was on twitter asking for an explanation of the sign that he could understand. I guess he finally got one.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Jurgo is the new bowling coach?? f**k that merkin used to bounce the shit out of me every time I played against him.
Merkin!!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yes that was an amusing sign. However we all know that the kiwis punch above their weight for abusive ferals in the crowds. No need to bring family into it.