What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

Bazal

Post Whore
:lol:

Outplayed yes... reality check for NZ, a few down on form and thoroughly outplayed at home, which is disappointing

We absolutely kept our cool in a match sense. Harp on about one naughty word all you like but we were reasonably clinical

No Clarke, no Starc, no Johnson and Australia have adjusted pretty well.

I'm happy to retain the Chappell-Hadley Trophy. I'm sure the Kiwis will be happy to have new grievances in the Lyon not out and the Voges no ball to harp on about too.

chigurh

Kept their cool, didn't let the slogging or gimmicks affect their performance and outclassed NZ the whole way really.

Australia looks to be a pretty good side. Having another gun batsmen in Khawaja to help out Smith and Warner is massive, and Burns and Voges can't really be faulted either.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
every single one of us wearing the baggy green at the presentation. Wonder what Warne would say? LOL

nice speech by paddles
f**k Warne :cool:

Hats of to Smiffy and Boof, after that Ashes series we were a decent mess especially after all the talent and experience that has left the team since then. But we seem a well knit unit, well captained and coached. Smiffy has exceeded all expectations and his batting hasn't dropped off at all.

Burns deserved it TBH.

Except for M Marsh's batting, pretty good efforts all round from everyone.

I hope NZ get stronger and we play more tests. Am loving the rivalry.

Need more Kiwis to have a bit more ticker like Wagner showed too. Bowling with a broken hand for the team when Southee and Boult provided window dressing.

JJ

Immortal
No Clarke, no Starc, no Johnson and Australia have adjusted pretty well.

I'm happy to retain the Chappell-Hadley Trophy. I'm sure the Kiwis will be happy to have new grievances in the Lyon not out and the Voges no ball to harp on about too.

We won the Chappell-Hadlee trophy - that's for the ODIs. Think the test one is the Trans-Tasman trophy. Yes, we have new grievances to bring up, happy days for us.

Losing Clarke has clearly improved the Australian team - we can all have hypotheses on why, but he was a attention hogging sideshow. Smith, IMO, is a better leader - and has plenty of improvement in him

Starc was a big loss, Johnson was destroyed by Williamson in Australia and no loss given his heart wasn't in it - Starc kind of balances out Taylor, except you have great depth in your bowlers, we don't have much depth anywhere.

undertaker

Coach
Great fighting win by us, the Kiwis made us earn this one but we came through in the end.

Well done to Joey Burns hopefully those two fine knocks keep the knockers off his back for a while.

and hopefully will keep Shaun "I have inherited Shane Watson's automatic selection card" Marsh away from the test team for some time yet

We won the Chappell-Hadlee trophy - that's for the ODIs. Think the test one is the Trans-Tasman trophy. Yes, we have new grievances to bring up, happy days for us.

Losing Clarke has clearly improved the Australian team - we can all have hypotheses on why, but he was a attention hogging sideshow. Smith, IMO, is a better leader - and has plenty of improvement in him

Starc was a big loss, Johnson was destroyed by Williamson in Australia and no loss given his heart wasn't in it - Starc kind of balances out Taylor, except you have great depth in your bowlers, we don't have much depth anywhere.

Apologies. We need to name that Test trophy then.

Taylor was a big hole. Southee has gone terrible on you guys too. Just didn't have anything. I think with Boult there was always the chance he'd rediscover his swing. Not to be sadly.

I hope the Kiwis go away and think about it a bit. They need to get right behind Williamson on and off the field. McCullum was one of those guys I disliked because he could take a game away from you - like a KP, Kohli, De Villiers - so seeing the back of him was always a pleasure. Now he's retired, the game as a whole is poorer for it because he was just so explosive. And he tried in vain today with his fielding. Didn't have much left to defend and the bowlers gave up the ghost a bit. I hope he finds somewhere to get in to coaching to give back. I remember watching that 300 he scored and it was something I will always remember like the Clarke triple I saw. And that we collected his scalp in the first over of the 2015 WC Final is a good one too ;-)

Anyway. I live in hope of a NZ summer in Sydney and Melbourne, advertised and promoted properly and heavily supported on both sides of the ditch. We need regular tests and series. It's good for all of us.

Time to Tui up.

Steve Smith
262 runs from 3 innings including 1 Not Out for an average of 131
Includes 1 century and 2 half-centuries

Kane Plod
142 runs from 4 innings with 0 Not Outs for an average of 35.5
Includes 1 half century.

Bazal

Post Whore
Williamson really needs to develop his front foot game in terms of rotating the strike. He has a beautiful cover drive but he's seemingly been struggling to just get off strike with a fuller length bowling plan.

He looked a lot better in the second innings here so I don't think he'll be too far off top form again

JJ

Immortal
Kane's fine, pretty obviously a huge amount of effort went into planning his containment, without Taylor there was no great need to plan for much else, Baz can just do that.

The plans were good and the bowling excellent, good thing for us was in the second test he worked it out to a degree. Longer term something new will be needed to limit him

JJ

Immortal
Steve Smith
262 runs from 3 innings including 1 Not Out for an average of 131
Includes 1 century and 2 half-centuries

Kane Plod
142 runs from 4 innings with 0 Not Outs for an average of 35.5
Includes 1 half century.

Very clever, Captain Obvious . Nice touch with the Plod bit too.

Unfortunately the Plodding one is going to have to for the most part carry his side, the only Australian I've seen do that was the great AB

The plans were good and the bowling excellent, good thing for us was in the second test he worked it out to a degree. Longer term something new will be needed to limit him

Long term perhaps, but short term he is going to have to go back to the drawing board and find a way to address the way Australia bowled to him this series. If he doesn't fix that he will falter.

Very clever, Captain Obvious . Nice touch with the Plod bit too.

Unfortunately the Plodding one is going to have to for the most part carry his side, the only Australian I've seen do that was the great AB

Just wanted to put it in writing so it's there the next time a Kiwi tries to claim Williamson is better than Smith.