What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v South Africa @ Seddon Park Hamilton Feb 13-17, 2024

JJ

Immortal
is that related to NZ conditions - generally batting gets easier there?
could be a bit of that, but he's pretty good in every innings tbh

What's suprising is that being unable to play as many tests as the other three, he's got as many centuries as any of them, and has batted so many times in the 4th innings - partly because we're grafters rather than big dogs, I guess

Convincing 7 wicket win, O'Rourke given MoM, I still think Williamson should have got it, but he won't care... shame he doesn't have a Davey leap, he looks almost apologetic or embarrassed when he gets 100...

Wouldn't swap him for anyone atm, clearly the best atm imo, obviously Smith and Kohli have been down on form a bit, and Root engaging in self-harm by trying to play T20 in tests

Bazal

Post Whore

Definitely a bit of that at least...which is why the classic Indian argument that green tops are as bad as sandpits that spin from day one is hilariously f**ken stupid.

Interesting to see what day of the test match his fourth innings home tonnes have come. Not to take away from him at all because it's still a fourth innings chase, just because it'd be interesting to see whether the greentop thing is a big factor.

Fangs

Coach

Probably something to do with it.

All 5 centuries have been made on home turf. Kohli has made his two 4th innings centuries overseas actually (In AUS and NZ).

Williamson's 4th innings average is something like 20 when batting overseas. So always a way to spin the story.

TheParraboy

Staff member
could be a bit of that, but he's pretty good in every innings tbh

What's suprising is that being unable to play as many tests as the other three, he's got as many centuries as any of them, and has batted so many times in the 4th innings - partly because we're grafters rather than big dogs, I guess

Convincing 7 wicket win, O'Rourke given MoM, I still think Williamson should have got it, but he won't care... shame he doesn't have a Davey leap, he looks almost apologetic or embarrassed when he gets 100...

Wouldn't swap him for anyone atm, clearly the best atm imo, obviously Smith and Kohli have been down on form a bit, and Root engaging in self-harm by trying to play T20 in tests

A bit of David Warner in Kane, ie great home town boy average 70.00

Not that good in England nor India, miserable in South Africa and SL, Respectable in Australia

Still a great kiwi batsman, and top 4 of this era for sure, but Smith / Kholi have him covered...overall IMO

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
A bit of David Warner in Kane, ie great home town boy average 70.00

Not that good in England nor India, miserable in South Africa and SL, Respectable in Australia

Still a great kiwi batsman, and top 4 of this era for sure, but Smith / Kholi have him covered...overall IMO
Overall probably, but still things to happen and he doesn’t get as many opportunities as they do.. and his away record isn’t Warner level of plod to be fair

Rod

Bench
ODIs are a different story but in tests it's a top 2 not a fab four - Williamson and Smith are comfortably ahead of Root and Kohli.

100 test sample size now and Kane/Smith average 7+ more than the other two. That's a lot.

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
Saw a lot of comments from a post lauding Williamson from Indians retorting that Kohli is much better. Now, I don't really mind the view that Kohli is a great batsman or even the best- but so annoying.

I wonder if they forgot that period of time when he didn't score a Test century for a couple of years.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Indians worship Kholi on social media, much like Tendulker before him

apart from "cry harder" being thier main mantra, they really are very unoriginal and suck at trolling

JJ

Immortal
If NZ played the same amount of tests as what England do.

Kane would have given Sachin's test 100s record a shake.
It's amazing that Australia's hero Bairstow, who's been in and out of the English team, has played 1 fewer test that Williamson....

King-Gutho94

Coach
It's amazing that Australia's hero Bairstow, who's been in and out of the English team, has played 1 fewer test that Williamson....
Well I think read that NZC were the ones that decided it was going to be a 2 test series against Australia as financially it's better for them.

I get it I suppose test cricket isn't cheap for smaller nations but still I think 3 test series should be played instead of 2.

Especially against Australia like 2005 was the last time we played a 3 test series in NZ. For me that's a bit ridiculous. 2 tests is too light on.

How many home series do NZ have that are 3 tests anymore is there any???

Which doesn't help Kane's case to play more test cricket.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Probably get accused of being anti kiwi here. Kane's 32 centuries: 19 @ home, 13 away. Since 2020: 9 @ home, 2 away.

You can only play what is in front of you but interesting opponents during this period too.

Still the best atm. Can solidify that against the world champions. Interesting averages against the big 3 too.

JJ

Immortal
Well I think read that NZC were the ones that decided it was going to be a 2 test series against Australia as financially it's better for them.

I get it I suppose test cricket isn't cheap for smaller nations but still I think 3 test series should be played instead of 2.

Especially against Australia like 2005 was the last time we played a 3 test series in NZ. For me that's a bit ridiculous. 2 tests is too light on.

How many home series do NZ have that are 3 tests anymore is there any???

Which doesn't help Kane's case to play more test cricket.
I'm not sure who's decision it was, but yeah agree 100% - but at the end of the day, at least we're not prioritising our domestic T20 comp to pay the bills - and even the upcoming T20 series won't feature several of our best players for various reasons.

I don't recall a three test series in recent years, and there have been a few (England, RSA notably at home) unsatisfactory 1-1 results