What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: West Indies v Australia at Kingston on Jun 11-15, 2015

JJ

Immortal
Shane Warne will be pleased with (and taking credit for) Starc's improved body language

TheParraboy

Staff member
Good to see Starc amongst it, however a lot of the wickets he got was "Johnson like". ie wide deliveries that either should have been smacked or left alone

See how he goes in England, before announcing him as a premier test bowler

WI are just plain woefull. Chanderpaul would have shown some resistance

Harris is still the best bowler in Australia and will dominate the ashes then dominate our summer and retire. The bloke is a champion.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Johnson has to be picked. He won us the Ashes last time and has the intimidation factor.

you think like our selectors, the guy used to bowl well so lets just keep picking him, I've never understood that type of thinking

Haze is obviously our best on current form and dropping another form bowler like Starc or Notch for Harry would be a pretty stupid move imo, as he has not bowled for over 4months and has no current form to speak of

he would need to prove himself in a warm up game and he would need to bowl well to earn a spot, and on pace he would be the last picked, he bowls around 130-135ks, all our other bowlers including Patto and Cummins bowl at 150k or just under so they all have the intimidation factor, except for Harry

hineyrulz

Post Whore
notch has been the least impressive of the 3 quicks so far in this series. By quite a bit.

Last edited:

8Ball

First Grade
All this talk about Starc being in form is premature. Amazing bowler in short form cricket, but really, he hasn't done much in tests to be considered ahead of Harris, Johnson or Hazlewood. Yes he's taken a few top order wickets, but this really has been due to diabolical batting more than anything else. He still sprays it a bit too much for my liking, and would be found out by any team with a line up resembling a test cricket nation.

vvvrulz

Coach
Mitchell Johnson will never be one of the greats with his inconsistency, the trouble is when he gets it right he's absolutely brutal. A longer lasting version of Harmison imo.

Red Bear

Referee
Harris doesn't need to bowl at 150 km/h to be effective.

Patto and Cummins arent even worth considering at present. Waay off with their various injuries/go slow approach

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree re Patto and Cummins, they will be in the picture for next summer but not now.

Harry has never bowled at 150Ks but always been effective, I was just making the point that we don't need Notch to intimidate the batting, but Harry will need to prove he is up to it as I cant see him just walking back into the team without at least one practise match.

typicalfan

Coach
you think like our selectors, the guy used to bowl well so lets just keep picking him, I've never understood that type of thinking

Haze is obviously our best on current form and dropping another form bowler like Starc or Notch for Harry would be a pretty stupid move imo, as he has not bowled for over 4months and has no current form to speak of

he would need to prove himself in a warm up game and he would need to bowl well to earn a spot, and on pace he would be the last picked, he bowls around 130-135ks, all our other bowlers including Patto and Cummins bowl at 150k or just under so they all have the intimidation factor, except for Harry

Johnson didn't just beat them he scared the crap out of them. Johnson has not been great this series but the conditions in England will be different. Starc needs to prove he can be effective over multiple spells, multiple days. That is the big question mark.

Starc bowling to the Windies is a lot different to bowling to the Poms in England.

TheFrog

Coach
Aust declare with a lead of 391....Very interesting move...

A very sporting declaration you'd have to say, especially since the West Indies successfully chased 418 some years ago. Of course there is no Lara in this side.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Johnson didn't just beat them he scared the crap out of them. Johnson has not been great this series but the conditions in England will be different. Starc needs to prove he can be effective over multiple spells, multiple days. That is the big question mark.

Starc bowling to the Windies is a lot different to bowling to the Poms in England.

very true but he has outbowled Notch by a long way this series, you can only play the team that's in front of you

Starc's form in T/20 has been breath taking and I don't believe you can be a world beater in one form and shit in another and I think his form in general is improving in leaps and bounds

he still has a bit to go tho but his current form is better than Notch in this series

Mitchell Johnson will never be one of the greats with his inconsistency, the trouble is when he gets it right he's absolutely brutal. A longer lasting version of Harmison imo.

3 wickets tonight and Mitchell Johnson's in our Top 5 bowlers of all time.

At a better strike rate than Warne, McGrath, Lillee, Lee and McDermott (who he trails by 2 wickets).

Will have done it in 5 fewer tests too if he beats McDermott.

He's only 21 wkts behind B Lee on 310. Hell, by the end of the Ashes, if he had a good one, he could be past Lee and if he had a good summer 2015/16, he could be past Lillee.

Overall, he is 31st most wickets of all time. A few tonight sees him pass McDermott and Kallis too.

vvvrulz

Coach
3 wickets tonight and Mitchell Johnson's in our Top 5 bowlers of all time.

At a better strike rate than Warne, McGrath, Lillee, Lee and McDermott (who he trails by 2 wickets).

Will have done it in 5 fewer tests too if he beats McDermott.

He's only 21 wkts behind B Lee on 310. Hell, by the end of the Ashes, if he had a good one, he could be past Lee and if he had a good summer 2015/16, he could be past Lillee.

Overall, he is 31st most wickets of all time. A few tonight sees him pass McDermott and Kallis too.

Didn't realise he had clocked up numbers like that, impressive.

That makes me wonder what could have been if he found more consistency, with both bat and ball. One of the all time great all rounders. When he gets it wrong he's absolutely abysmal, that's always been his problem.

Didn't realise he had clocked up numbers like that, impressive.

That makes me wonder what could have been if he found more consistency, with both bat and ball. One of the all time great all rounders. When he gets it wrong he's absolutely abysmal, that's always been his problem.

I'll give you that. Imagine if he'd not been as abysmal at points. His record would be quite enviable I'd hazard to say.

But I still think there's been quite enough highlights to rank him up there.

Hell, we all mythologise Thommo for a great Ashes in 1972/73. I reckon Mitch's 2013/14 Ashes series in a 5-0 whitewash should be up there too.

Latest posts