What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3, 2, 1 v Rooster

Iafeta

Referee
3 Russell Packer
2 Ben Matulino

... Those guys deserve a special mention, the first 20 minutes was reminiscent of Wiki/Price at times. They just kept turning up for hit ups.

1 Kevin Locke - some outstanding takes, one fairly ordinary error but I think his offensive positioning was also good and on a dry track he would have had a couple of breaks backing up Mateo like he was

Discipline was costly. Taylor's penalty near the end being third man in was just dumb. Berrigan giving away two shockers late in the penalty count, one which led directly to a try. He laid in so long in one tackle I thought he was going to start a foreplay session. Refereering was neville novice stuff, missing a blatant knock on off a bomb by their winger into an offside player, missing Nokiachiello knocking on off a bomb as well, the video ref was a bit of a WTF moment that was at least benefit of the doubt (and a massive moment in the game IMO)... but basically I just thought our attack sucked, our passing was very labourious in the wet conditions, and given the platform laid down early by Packer and Matulino it was almost scandalous to come out of that not with any points early, and from what I recall, 0 line breaks for the game.

I think we missed Seymour somewhat, but Johnson wasn't to blame, his D was quite good, and aside from one poor pass he was fairly good. I think like Locke, on a dry track with his step he could have caused a fair few problems. Maloney isn't as good as Seymour at the cross field bomb (generally Seymour puts it on the try line), and the other time I felt Seymour was missed was when SKD went down injured and for some reason Maloney kept calling the play to the right side and didn't even look to exploit the injury, whereas when Steve Rapira went down, they ran straight at him. I also thought we missed Hohaia, just a bit of extra speed at dummy half. We were ponderous out of there all night. Heremaia was ok, Berrigan hopeless. I'd rather Mara in if Hohaia is not available any day of the week.

Iafeta

Referee
3. Packer
2. Matulino
1. Rapira.

Only changes id make for next game would be:

Mara in for berrigan
Gavet in for Latimore
Not sure who in for rapira. Apparently ta'ai is out till round 16.

I think Gavet is out injured as well. I saw somewhere Craig Walker writing that it was Gavet who was going to debut ahead of Steve Rapira but he was obviously ruled out from selection.

Changes.. not many.

1 Locke
2 Fisiiahi
3 Inu
4 Brown
5 Vatuvei
6 Maloney
7 Johnson
8 Packer
9 Heremaia
10 Matulino
11 Mannering (c)
12 Mateo
13 Luck

Mara
Taylor
Lillyman
Latimore

devoid

Juniors
3-Matulino
2-Packer
1-Rapira - gutted he is injured. Great debut, and should be a walk-up selection when fit after his performance.

I would put Lewis back to the bench and use him in bursts again for impact. Tough conditions and tough calls against us - the Roosters went pretty good I thought, ball control aside. Not the end of the world - we were a bit rusty for sure.

hitman82

Bench
How nice was it to see a back rower run into a hole? Its not rocket science, but its very effective.

He was also our only back rower running with any energy. Absolutely gutted he got broken, as he looked a sure thing for re-selection.

hitman82

Bench
3. Packer
2. Matulino
1. Rapira.

Only changes id make for next game would be:

Mara in for berrigan
Gavet in for Latimore
Not sure who in for rapira. Apparently ta'ai is out till round 16.

Lousi I'd assume. He was pretty average when he played earlier in the season, but is a quality player. Pretty sure Gavet is injured too, could be wrong.

I much prefer Berrigan in the centres.

Maloney isn't as good as Seymour at the cross field bomb (generally Seymour puts it on the try line), and the other time I felt Seymour was missed was when SKD went down injured and for some reason Maloney kept calling the play to the right side and didn't even look to exploit the injury, whereas when Steve Rapira went down, they ran straight at him.

I thought it they had run at SKD with the trainer all over him they would of stopped the play. The needed to go right till they got past him so he wasnt in the play then go that way.

Maloneys kicks to Inu where WAY off. Needs to be on or just before the line, so he can fall over it, not have to volleyball it back to Brown.

kos

Juniors
3-Packer
2-Luck
3-Rapira
Thought Johnson went well for game 1. Rapira was darned impressive showed mongrel in defence and pace in attack. Lance Hohaia had he played as a sub was missed -his acceleration off a standing start and his jink would have got us a try near the line where we were for a lot of the game.

Izz

Bench
Johnson had a solid debut, i thought.

As did Rapira. Gutted that he's injured.

Micistm

Bench
Harsh.

He's a 20 year old debutante- only the media and you (apparently) expected him to come in straight away, dominating and controlling the team like a 30 year old veteran. He showed enough to suggest he very well may live up to his hype- but give him some time.

Damn right, I thought he did okay. Didn't set the world on fire but it's his debut game- And he didn't have a shocker and he didn't get injured.

Couldn't sleep after that game, was furious. But gotta give credit to the Roosters for great defence as well. But if we can't cross the line we don't deserve the win (despite one shocker call in particular).

Matulino, Packer, Mannering

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, the call against Inu was harsh, but we didn't deserve to win.

_addict

Juniors
Yeah, the call against Inu was harsh, but we didn't deserve to win.

I didn't tape it, but on first look I thought that in the 34min when we kicked the ball and Minicello ran it back, it looked like the hole he ran into was created by one of our chasers being jersey-pulled. If that was the case we should have had a penalty and been pressing their line rather than what happened in the last 5 of the first half.

worier

Juniors
3. Packer
2. Matulino
1. Luck

A bit hard this week so I just gave my vote to the three work horses, Packer was definitley the best forward out there.

Skram

Juniors
3 ~ Packer
2 ~ Rapira
1 ~ Matulino

-54 ~ Berrigan. Stupid.
Didn't deserve to win that but somewhat heartening to know we probably would have without some of the terrible calls that were made. Thought both Warriors debutantes went really well, it was the older heads that seemed to be our downfall.

ozbash

Referee
3- matulino
2- rapira
1- packer

how good was it to see 2 ball playing halves together ? One needs to dominate (Maloney to call the shots ?) and Johnson to weave the magic.

How dumb was it to switch Mannering and Sharkies side at centre ? Mannering had to keep an eye on Johnson ? ffs, if he's good enough for first grade...

Steve Rapira is exactly what we need at 2nd row/lock. Apparently its not a break, its a sprain.

Brett who ????

hitman82

Bench
Damn right, I thought he did okay. Didn't set the world on fire but it's his debut game- And he didn't have a shocker and he didn't get injured.

Couldn't sleep after that game, was furious. But gotta give credit to the Roosters for great defence as well. But if we can't cross the line we don't deserve the win (despite one shocker call in particular).

Matulino, Packer, Mannering

Same, I was in a DARK mood haha. That was an epically frustrating game.

Rich102

Staff member
3. Packer
2. Matulino
1. Mannering

Manu shouldn't be out there. Stupid decision.
If Johnson is the answer I don't understand the question.
I thought Locke was poor. Bad choices in attack & defence.
Berrigan is a liability - bring back Mara.
Gutsy display from Maloney.

Video ref deserves to be dropped.

Maybe this was a bit cryptic. I was not bagging Johnson. He had a solid game in conditions that didn't suit him.
I was more questioning where is fits into Ivan's picture.
Seymour's contract hasn't, at this time, been extended. Does this mean he won't be signed? I have been a critic of his, I think he is very slow for a half, but I can see why Ivan likes him. His defence is good, his kicking is solid, he doesn't make many mistakes and his combination with maloney is good.
So was Johnson coming in for an injured Seymour as a long-awaited trial or is this an indication of the future?
I have seen a fair bit of Shaun with the U20's over the last couple ofyears. Coming to League from touch rugby he has had a fairly steep learning curve. He played well in last year's U20 grand final, though Carlos took the player- of- the- day. But his form over the year was a bit hit and miss. He excels in broken field play, a legacy of his touch days, but fails to shine in the tight. His kicking game can be brilliant but can also be dreadful.
So how will he go in the NRL?
It is worth remembering that for most of his U20's career he was behind a dominant pack. Apparently he has gone well for the Vulcans, but again behind a dominant pack.
Now my question is has he leapfrogged over John and Godinet? I thought
john looked really solid before his injury and linked well with Maloney. The glimpse of Godinet I saw in the Greymouth trial I really liked the way he linked with Fish. Sadly there is no TV coverage of the Vulcans.
OK. So is Johnson going to be given a shot until Seymour comes back or will Ivan play it safe?
The Warrior's have brought Johnson along slowly; rightly so. I am not convinced, on Saturday's showing, he is ready for first grade. But I am prepared to see him given a chance.
However I would hate to lose John & Godinet just because they are held back.

Cheops

Juniors
Maybe this was a bit cryptic. I was not bagging Johnson. He had a solid game in conditions that didn't suit him.
I was more questioning where is fits into Ivan's picture.
Seymour's contract hasn't, at this time, been extended. Does this mean he won't be signed? I have been a critic of his, I think he is very slow for a half, but I can see why Ivan likes him. His defence is good, his kicking is solid, he doesn't make many mistakes and his combination with maloney is good.
So was Johnson coming in for an injured Seymour as a long-awaited trial or is this an indication of the future?
I have seen a fair bit of Shaun with the U20's over the last couple ofyears. Coming to League from touch rugby he has had a fairly steep learning curve. He played well in last year's U20 grand final, though Carlos took the player- of- the- day. But his form over the year was a bit hit and miss. He excels in broken field play, a legacy of his touch days, but fails to shine in the tight. His kicking game can be brilliant but can also be dreadful.
So how will he go in the NRL?
It is worth remembering that for most of his U20's career he was behind a dominant pack. Apparently he has gone well for the Vulcans, but again behind a dominant pack.
Now my question is has he leapfrogged over John and Godinet? I thought
john looked really solid before his injury and linked well with Maloney. The glimpse of Godinet I saw in the Greymouth trial I really liked the way he linked with Fish. Sadly there is no TV coverage of the Vulcans.
OK. So is Johnson going to be given a shot until Seymour comes back or will Ivan play it safe?
The Warrior's have brought Johnson along slowly; rightly so. I am not convinced, on Saturday's showing, he is ready for first grade. But I am prepared to see him given a chance.
However I would hate to lose John & Godinet just because they are held back.

Godinet is injured so he was never an option for the weekend. You point out that Johnson played behind a dominant pack at U20's and Vulcans level, but so did John and he still looked rubbish in the U20's at least. I haven't watched any Vulcans games, but from the highlights and match reports, it seems as though Johnson has been outplaying John.

So yes, Johnson has leapfrogged John at least. At best, John is on par with Johnson right now because of the extra NRL experience and his organisation, but Johnson has far more potential which is why this is such a great opportunity to debut him. He'll get a couple of games experience and learn from that for when he is our first choice next year. If he has a blinder or two before Seymour comes back, we may even find a way to fit him on the bench for the rest of this year.