What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Storm

ozbash

Referee
Stop your whinging and hating and score the game..

3- Hurrell
2- Capt Mannering
1- Maloney

_addict

Juniors
3 - Maloney (I think Hurrell played best, but wasn't dealt such a dud hand as Jimmy, who did put in)
2 - Hurrell (needs more one-on-one), was a handful even when against three
1 - Mara ( his first stint was very good, needed more minutes out there)

Hon mention Lousi

Warmess

Juniors
3. Mannering
2. Maloney
1. Hurrell

I'd have likely given Mara some points, but he just didn't play enough minutes. Really liked what he provided, though.

blain

Juniors
Hurrell
Maloney
Mara

I thought Mara sparked us up well, Brown isn't a hooker, took a few bad decisions which hurt us on attack.

I agree on the bitching thing, sounds like we lost to the Eels here. We got Slaterized and had a few dumb decisions in attack. Hopefully we can learn from his and the Tigers game, they both had similar feels to them. I dont think we're far away from stepping it up.

Iafeta

Referee
3 Packer
2 Matulino
.... while those two were on early, the Storm were getting rolled and then some through the middle. I thought that was Russell's best first grade game, I give him the 3 over Matulino also because he was there putting in the big yards to try and get Slater before Smith got the try. It was a million to one play and he shouldn't have got close, but I was surprised that he wasn't getting blown away either.
1 Mara - crimiinally underutlised by Bluey for that matter. The Storm were on the backfoot with Mara rolling them through the ruck area.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's beyond me why Brown played 50-odd minutes at hooker. Honestly, his skill level is not good enough to play more than an impact role in that position.

Maloney was outstanding imo, his carries from fullback really embarrassed Fisi'iahi's work.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Bad use of the interchange bench? Who would have thought.

I'm surprised why they bother putting Maloney back to fullback, I would have thought pushing someone like Tupou back, Mannering or Taylor into the centres and Hurrell onto the wing would be the way to go. But in the two games Maloney has had to do it he hasn't really been tested by the high ball from memory apart from the Minichello try.

Meth

Staff member
3- Packer
2- Matulino
1- Manu

Aside from some hail mary plays when the game was slipping out of reach, Manu had a great game.

beefstew

Juniors
3- Packer
2- Matulino
1- Manu

Aside from some hail mary plays when the game was slipping out of reach, Manu had a great game.

He'll probably pick up a point over on the Storm boards too.

If he kept playing like a prop the whole game, just taking hit-ups and making the odd tackle, i probably would have given him a point
as well...but he had to try and be a winger, which he's obviously isn't anymore, and the usual screw ups followed, at a time
and place that cost us dearly...like usual.

Meth

Staff member
Anybody who thinks Manu cost us the game today knows nothing about Rugby League.

beefstew

Juniors
Anybody who thinks Manu Vatuvei deserves to be still playing winger in first grade, knows nothing about rugby league.

vvvrulz

Coach
3. Mannering
2. Maloney
1. Mara

-2. Vatuvei
-1. Fish

Those two at the back cost us the game, simple as that.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
3. Mannering
2. Maloney
1. Mara

-2. Vatuvei
-1. Fish

Those two at the back cost us the game, simple as that.

After 70 minutes we were losing 16-12. We hadn't scored any points for over 50 minutes. I would suggest that Manu had played strongly to that point. Please explain how Manu "cost us the game" and what makes you think we would have won.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Also:

Bill Tupou failed to score when presented with a very good opportunity
Konrad Hurrell badly missed a tackle leading to Gareth Widdop's try
Feleti Mateo completely failed to cover Billy Slater's inside run which eventually led to Jaiman Lowe's try
I don't recall Manu being culpable in any defensive errors or missed try-scoring opportunities in the entire game

Please explain how Manu turning over possession twice in the last 10 minutes when we were already behind and in the midst of an extended scoring drought had more influence on our eventual defeat than these errors

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I would just stop bothering to try defend him, people are always going to give him shit about his errors. Probably the same people who love Ben Henry.