What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Storm

JJ

Immortal
I am not comparing Jazz to Gallen now, I am comparing Jazz to Gallen at the same age when Gallen arrived on the scene in 2001. Over the years Jazz will bulk up, strengthen up and could play a similar style of role. In essence he is going about his work in that type of way now. He is highly industrious with a lot of upside.
https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2015/07/17/then-and-now--paul-gallen/

Gallen's always been a solid unit, certainly he's bulked up a bit, but not in a mythological way, and nothing like the transformation Tevaga would need

Benek

Juniors
Melbourne were simply stifling on defense but if what they do in the tackle aka wrestle is not against the rules it bloody well should be. Imagine how horrendous league will become if all teams were as ‘good’ as they are in slowing the play down...

Can’t they adjust the interpretation to call held earlier? As soon as momentum has stopped and before they then wrestle to the ground and on the back with late ‘tacklers’ coming in. It was ugly to watch. Two man tackles only perhaps except maybe in the 10m zone? Dunno but ewww
This was exactly Kearney's reaction in presso. Just last week NRL emailed all clubs saying they were going to tighten up crowding or laying on the ruck, and then the Storm come out the next game and lay all over us and we cannot get a penalty. Storm are absolute masters at getting away with it. I'm not sure how they manage it.

Meth

Staff member
I wasn't at the game, but it appeared from TV that the Storm were actually targeting Lino's side rather than SJ who has certainly made a lot of tackles this year.

Yeah they were- targeting Lino/Kata and why not?

I was disappointed that we moved away from targeting Scott. It looked likely every time we travelled down that side in the first half and then we virtually halted directing play down there in the second.

Reactions: JJ

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
One thing I noticed yesterday was that the Storm constantly twist the tackled man sideways or backwards, so he's facing the wrong way and can't play the ball quickly.

This is partly just good technique, but a lot of the time they are moving the man after the tackle is completed and so it should be a penalty.

TheDMC

Bench
One thing I noticed yesterday was that the Storm constantly twist the tackled man sideways or backwards, so he's facing the wrong way and can't play the ball quickly.

This is partly just good technique, but a lot of the time they are moving the man after the tackle is completed and so it should be a penalty.
Yeah the tackle just seems to go on forever and ever with them

Yeah the tackle just seems to go on forever and ever with them
Yep and it was something emailed to clubs that refs where going to watch this week.
6 tackles shown on Big League Wrap by Storm taking 6-7 sec to clear. Obviously penalties.
Ever since the relaxing of the penalty blitz Storm has charged up the table.

Meth

Staff member
Never a doubt- congratulations Roger Tuivasa Sheck

RTS 43
Maumalo 26
Paasi 11

Beale 7
Tevaga 5
Afoa 4
Gavet 3
Johnson 2
Mannering 1

17 voted

hitro

Juniors
NRL360 last night were talking about who can beat the Storm to win the comp. Reckon Warriors can, with Harris and Green back in and a more neutral ref. Pretty much had parity anyway.

JJ

Immortal
NRL360 last night were talking about who can beat the Storm to win the comp. Reckon Warriors can, with Harris and Green back in and a more neutral ref. Pretty much had parity anyway.

IMO the Storm will improve a lot, not sure we can

Agree on the refs - not that they weren't neutral, just that it seems from what Kearney said they suggested they were going to police laying in the ruck then didn't - we didn't adapt at all, and slow them - they dominated the middle

Also things like Tevaga's offload, Maumalo and Kata being geniused with respect to the rules - cost in big/close games

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Let's not forget that before that game, they were saying that the Storm team we faced was the best Storm side. We went close with their best team!

Can we say that was OUR best side? I don't think so.