What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1

NZ Warrior

First Grade
That's cool, I'm just mentioning what I read. I wouldn't have a clue where it was.

I also know about Tate's history. I'm talking about Tate how he is at the moment, that he's not 100%.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
If we replace Paddy with Crockett (which I wouldn't necessarily recommend) we'd have one of the fastest backlines in the comp I'd say. I assume Tate will eventually be back to full pace. Not so sure re: Crockett, I don't know any reason why he would have lost pace, but he's never seemed as fast as he was made out to be.

MarkW

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
3 points = Nathan Fien
A very solid game from Fien, he was every where. Organised well and put in some good kicks.

2 points = Manu Vatuvei
Yep, the guy dropped a few bombs. But his workrate was outstanding. He really troubled the Storm. I think it's a real sign that he's maturing into a great footballer.

1 point = Ruben Wiki
Wiki needed to step up after we lost Price and he did just that. Brutal defense and a big workload.

Personally I thought Wiki was sh*te. He looked old and tired.

MarkW

Juniors
3. Fien - All go all match.

2. Jro - He's a good centre - keep him there Ivan.

1. Vatuvei - Dodgy hands but worked hard.

JB

Juniors
Just on the pace issue. A lot of our players look slow off the mark in comparison to others. Even our body types (especially the poly boys) looks like we're carrying our weight around the arse and thighs. While other teams have just as heavy and big players as ours, they seem to be a lot more leaner and carry it better. Just an impression i get.

I have no doubt some of our boys (especially Manu) have comparable times with other speedsters over 40m in the testing. Thing is, in a game, how often do you get a clear run to the line 40m away. There's a lot of stopping and starting and changing direction. Manu in particular takes a while to wind up and his turn and chase was exposed numerous times by Turner. I think Manu's great value but you can guarentee he'll be tested big time this weekend by the Eels and all season.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
JB said:
Just on the pace issue. A lot of our players look slow off the mark in comparison to others. Even our body types (especially the poly boys) looks like we're carrying our weight around the arse and thighs. While other teams have just as heavy and big players as ours, they seem to be a lot more leaner and carry it better. Just an impression i get.

I have no doubt some of our boys (especially Manu) have comparable times with other speedsters over 40m in the testing. Thing is, in a game, how often do you get a clear run to the line 40m away. There's a lot of stopping and starting and changing direction. Manu in particular takes a while to wind up and his turn and chase was exposed numerous times by Turner. I think Manu's great value but you can guarentee he'll be tested big time this weekend by the Eels and all season.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this. I think we are just missing that explosive off-the-mark pace. Hopefully Tate will get his back, he's said himself that he's still not there yet.

Skram

Juniors
3~ Fien - Kicked really well and lead the way a fair bit once Pricey was off, was good to see, took the pressure off Rav's, was a pity he couldn't be backed up well.

2~ Lauaki - While I thought Mannering did very well on defence, he and Lauaki were polar oipposites on attack, the couple of times the ball was shifted left with urgency with Mannering he blew them, once dropping the ball cold in a pass attempt and another throwing it behind Vatuvei, when Lauaki was in the same situation twice it resulted in a try through good hands. Plus his 'tackle' on Slater was good to see (happy Slater was hurt though).

1~ Vatuvei - Woulda been in top spot if not for the big errors, looked devastating every time he had the ball held firmly in hand.

Swanley

Juniors
3: Fien - has seemed to improved his game from last year
2: Mannering - made some big hits in defence
1: Vatuvei - Involved all game for the right and wrong reasons - scored two good tries.

Rich102

Staff member
JB said:

Good points - straight line speed is not everything. Manu may be the fastest over the length of the field but line them up on the 20 meter line, facing the opposition goal line, and get them to turn back and cross their own goal line and the results are going to be vastly different. This is the situation opposition teams exploit by kicking behind him.

Was anyone else surprised by how easily JRo was run down after his great break? I really thought he was faster than that. Or was it a deceptive camera angle?

hitman82

Bench
J-Ro looks pretty quick off the mark but appears to have bulked up a fair bit, maybe losing some long-distance pace? The angle was a bit weird though.

Lego_Man

First Grade
3 - Fien
2 - Ropati
1 - Lauaki

Vatuvei doesnt deserve any points because of his blundering. Sure he may have had a good game on attack, but his errors were simply not good enough at this level and mostly negated his good work. I also agree with the comments regarding his "speed" (aka straight line long sprints) as not necessarily being that effective in a game situation. On the turn and chase he's like an oil tanker. Give Ah Van a couple more games, if he doesnt step up give his spot to Crockett.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Ropati has appeared to have bulked up. I must ask OB when he gets back, what Ropati's Mum is feeding him and how much he's benching now.

It's a shame that he appears to have lost some pace. If he keeps moving out of position on D, it's really going to hurt us. But it just might give us the edge on attack.

ozbash

Referee
I must ask OB when he gets back, what Ropati's Mum is feeding him and how much he's benching now.

Taro and 350 kg !!

That is the hottest day i have ever lived in 52 f**king years, 40 deg at 4pm, went to telstra and sat in the front with a huge flag but was forced back under the stands.
No wind, f**king big flame thrower things going off all night and at game time it had to be 37-39 deg....

well done warriors for getting through it and showing a bit of pride.

nearly bawled when pricey went off.

3 - manu
2- wiki
1- ravs !! if he could kick not to billy slater i'd give him the 2 spot.

AliN

Live Update Team
JRo,
Ravs, not for his kicking
Wiki

sh*t it was hot!! Glad the Storm tactics got thrown back at them when the boys walked to the sideline after the break.
Sure the Storm won, but both sides were suffering in the heat, and they hung in there for the full 80 mins.

Awesome night, and the Aussies can take as much as they give. A lot of fun had by all.
Great to meet up with Ian S and his family.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'll close this thing up on Friday night. I probably won't post a tally round by round because it might encourage some people to just vote for players they like to get them higher players they don't like etc....

NZ Warrior

First Grade
To OB & Ali (welcome back), Ravs didn't happen to buy you a few rounds, did he???

I was a little surprised to see him appear in your 3-2-1's. But he certainly was involved a bit more than he was last year. Hopefully it keeps up and he refines his kicking.

Rich102

Staff member
Another question to OB and Ali.
What did you see at the ground that led you both to vote for Wiki?
He did a bit of defensive work but added nothing on attack from what I saw.
The stadium looked huge, and not very full.

ozbash

Referee
they pack most people in to one side and then point the tv cameras at them, 20k was the crowd they reckoned and it would have been around that.

Havnt seen the game on telly yet but was very impressed with rubes directing the boys around after pricey went off.

Ravs went a hell of a lot better than ive seen him go for a long time, he,d take on the storms defensive line and had them guessing. They would run up to the guy they thought he was going to pass to and he would take off. good to see.

dissapointing; mannering, kirk, witty, tate, lauaki and manu's slippery hands.

Latest posts