What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 exercises not used enough

18to87

First Grade
ooohh yeah that would be an awesome achievement for me to need those items for a challenging workout,.with hard work anything's possible and dreaming is free :D
btw that "8" was a typo,.i follow the old school 5x5 system

I was just trying to make the point that the average gym goer does not need to concern himself with "gravity" as mentioned above by another poster. We would have a lot fitter, healthier and better looking people in gyms if they worked harder on compound movements - no matter what their goals are.

My girlfriend is 5'5, 56 kg's and can squat more than her brother who is a ranked squash player who receives hours of coaching. Many Aussies need to limit the isolation movements and make better use of their time in the gym.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Can someone please describe some exercises i can do to axe the lower stomach? IE below your belly button?

I do ab work, butt work and squats, but i feel that this stupid flabby part is getting away scott free! :fist:

JessEel

OK, forgive me if your article covered this, i scanned.
I have done the cardio only thing, and had a PT friend pull me into line. It is about mis-education, but i don't feel stupid, because all the lines the gym i was going to ever fed me was how the classes were all i'd ever need to get fit.

On a perfect night, my optimum workout is:

30 mins of Cycling on a difficult level.
Then arm weights and shoulder weights - until the muscles get a bit flinchy. Then squats without weights, then squats with weight added (either medicine ball or dumbell)

Then some more cardio, which i treat as a bit of a breather for my muscles, but im still moving.

Then if there's not a thousand people there, i hit the floor, crunches on a gym ball, obliques with a medicine ball, and maybe even a plank if im feeling ok. This is pretty much til i want to throw up.

Then more bike til i need to go home and sleepsies.

Thoughts?
Still after an exercise i can do with weights or on the floor for the lower stomachal area... as squats and crunches don't feel like they reach it?

Martli

Coach
If you want some lower ab exercises, try these:

1) Lying flat out on your back with your legs together, lift your heels off the ground while keeping your legs straight. Keep them suspended in the air for say, 30sec at a time. You should feel the burn in your lower abs. If you can't do 30sec then work up to it. Do 3 lots of 30sec.

2) Same starting position as before, lift one leg up as far as you can (keeping it straight), put it back down and lift the other one up. Do 10 each side for 3 sets.

18to87

First Grade
OK, forgive me if your article covered this, i scanned.
I have done the cardio only thing, and had a PT friend pull me into line. It is about mis-education, but i don't feel stupid, because all the lines the gym i was going to ever fed me was how the classes were all i'd ever need to get fit.

On a perfect night, my optimum workout is:

30 mins of Cycling on a difficult level.
Then arm weights and shoulder weights - until the muscles get a bit flinchy. Then squats without weights, then squats with weight added (either medicine ball or dumbell)

Then some more cardio, which i treat as a bit of a breather for my muscles, but im still moving.

Then if there's not a thousand people there, i hit the floor, crunches on a gym ball, obliques with a medicine ball, and maybe even a plank if im feeling ok. This is pretty much til i want to throw up.

Then more bike til i need to go home and sleepsies.

Thoughts?
Still after an exercise i can do with weights or on the floor for the lower stomachal area... as squats and crunches don't feel like they reach it?

I hate to be rude but print the article out and read it two or three times in its entirety.

The workout you described is well - disturbing. Especially the throwing up bit.

Work smarter not harder - and also in your case not longer! Unless your an elite athlete you should be able to do all the work your body needs in about 40-45 minutes.

I would be willing to bet you are burning mostly muscle in the gym. What is your diet like? If your not sure what I am getting at - read the article and soak it in. Sure it's long but if you really try and learn from it I think you will be ready to make some changes!

Shorty

Staff member
Can someone please describe some exercises i can do to axe the lower stomach? IE below your belly button?

I do ab work, butt work and squats, but i feel that this stupid flabby part is getting away scott free! :fist:
Reading the article has taken care of the diet part but the area you're talking about concerns the TA (Transverse abdominis) which rarely get used properly and even with some ignorant personal trainers, they don't have a clue what to do with it.

The actual role of this muscle is to keep the abs tight so it works sort of like a nose and if you work this muscle properly it does actually make your waist smaller (because it's pulling in).
This is why you'll see muscle guys looking really good for about 4 of the 6 packs but then there's nothing..almost a pot belly near the hips.

Because this muscle can pull the hips up when exercising, it's really hard to work.
But here's an example of how to work it;

http://www.ehow.com/how_5066869_strengthen-abdominis-lying-draw_in-maneuver.html

Edit and I just saw your program;
Ok those exercises for your abs aren't doing much for your lower core, the bridge shouldn't be a maybe it should be a definite.
Crunches are useless and I'd look at omitting them for another full core exercise, side bridges are good.
Also take on board what Martli said but place your hands under the small of your back while doing it and try to push down on them while lowering your legs (without doing this, this is what I meant about pulling the hips forward which won't work the TA).

Also, save all your cardio for after you do your weight training as you'll be more likely to burn fat that way and you won't be as likely to injury yourself.

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade
Thats some good advice on how to work those muscles but she also needs to know there is no such thing as spot reduction. You can't just magically lose fat in one area by working it out a lot.

Shorty

Staff member
Without looking at her diet, I think she's looking to strengthen that area...if she's seen a personal trainer she'd have been educated about spot reducing.
And regardless of diet, she still needs to work a lot more on lower abs anyway, you could diet until the cows come home but that area won't get reeled in unless you strengthen it.

JessEel

i know about the spot training myth dude, i asked for the lower muscle exercise so i could add it to all the other things i was doing!

So Shorty, ditch the bike to start with, and just weight/floor exercise like crazy, then finish with a bike/run?

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah so you can still warm up on it, but what it's about is that when you exercise for a long period of time you go through 3 energy systems and the one vital to using fat as an energy source takes over 20 minutes to come into equation.
The whole before and after is an ongoing debate, but in terms of weight loss and body fat reduction, cardio after weight training has shown to be the best in studies.
And weights before is just better because your core isn't going to be as fatigued.

You're on the right track doing spurts between sets, but they have to be short (1 min rowing etc) and they focus on endurance of power more than anything.

Your program isn't too bad, but add a few back and chest exercises in there and work your lower abs by doing stuff like bridges, side bridges and the exercises Martli recommended.

JessEel

Bridges suck the big fat one, just so you know :lol:

Thanks for the advice chickens! I've got a fair bit to lose, so this and my diet should start to show results (and in fact, already has! :D)

Joker's Wild

Coach
I use an ab wheel at home and find that when combinded with planks and side planks (is this the same as a "bridge"?) I can absolutly smash my abs from all angles.

Joker's Wild

Coach
power_wheel_100.jpg

Joker's Wild

Coach
Mind over matter, Jess:D

Wow I haven't actually tried that JW, how much are they?

The one in the pic is at the epensive end of the spectrum

I got mine from KMart for around $12 and it works a treat but it doesn't have the feet straps