What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 exercises not used enough

Shorty

Staff member
1.One arm bent over row
Middle back is probably the second most ignored area on the body after lower back.
I see guys walking out of gyms with their shoulders so rounded that they probably couldn't lift a kilo using their middle back.
It's great to do bench press and flyes to make your chest and back look good but if you overwork/use these muscles it causes problems everywhere else.
Overworked pecs bring your shoulders forward and your middle traps aren't strong enough to pull them back.
So strengthening the area helps to improve your posture and can avoid getting tense shoulders/neck which obviously leads to those miagraines people get.
These muscles can get ignored so much, that they are severely weakened when people are older.

2.Straight legged deadlift - Now I'm guessing a lot of the boys here will play some sort of footy, so the hamstrings are probably worked a lot.
Doing this exercise helps lengthen the hamstrings, which takes a load of your lower back.
But I do warn this one isn't for a beginner and I'm a nazi when training people with this, correct technique is a must.

3.Calf Raises/Stretching - This one I know I suffer from personally, but even stretching this area helps massively.
Anyone that has excessive pronation/supination in the feet will struggle with pain in the lower leg and also feet(especially running).
I was suffering plantar fascia issues (I supinate excessively, meaning I walk on the outside of my feet) and within a few days of stretching my calves the pain disappeared.

This is also something girls in general need to pay attention to because high heels will put a lot of pressure on the calves and this can lead to knee issues.

That's 3 from me, feel free to add yours in.

Thomas

First Grade
I do one arm bent over rows. Love them.

I've been neglecting my biceps and made an effort to smash them last week. Pain!!

Thomas

First Grade
all about the core.

Damn straight. I do a lot of core work, especially using fit balls to work out on. I do dumbell flys while balancing on a ball. Not only does my chest get a workout but my hammies are burning too.

18to87

First Grade
I prefer Good Mornings over SLDL. I find it easier to keep the shoulders back and chest from caving when doing Good Mornings.

Thomas

First Grade
If you are an athlete its a muscle you can get away with neglecting!

I'm no athlete... :sarcasm:

I am just so weak in that area, even though I use my biceps when doing a lot of other exercises. I feel like a weak kitten when doing curls and such.

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I was going to say good mornings as well, that's a good point.
lol Thomas I wouldn't worry about biceps...they're a pretty redundant exercise....makes you get guns but meh.
A ripped back looks much more impressive than big pecs and guns imo.

Talanexor

Juniors
Squats

Neglected you say? Hell yes! Have a look around your local gym and count how many guys have massive chests and arms and pencil-thin legs.

Squats work virtually every muscle in your lower body, especially when you add a calf raise to the end of each rep. Plus squats stimulate Human Growth Hormone production leading to accelarated overall muscle growth.

No workout is complete without squats.

adamkungl

Immortal
I have squats in my gym routine... I find excuses to dog it so often though. before League training started I was consistently squatting 1-2 times a week.

If I'm doig League training twice a week, giving my legs a solid workout, would squats be overkill?

Martli

Coach
+1 for posterior chain, but, do it properly! I've been squatting and dead-lifting for a couple of years now and have hit some back pain in the last 9 months or so. Just sort of ignored it for a bit but now I have decided to put the ego in check and start doing something about it.

I realised I have been doing these lifts all with quads and lower back. I barely feel anything in my glutes and hammies because my hip posture is all wrong, my flexibility is shocking and my glutes are basically dormant. I Think all this has sort of compressed my lower back a bit, which can hit a nerve and cause a bit of pain and discomfort. Apparently this is all fairly common for non-lifters who sit down a lot and even lifters who aren't in pain or anything, so i've probably been building up to this moment for years without even realising it.

Here's the article I started with, but i've read a whole bunch more http://stronglifts.com/how-to-optimize-posterior-chain-power-glute-activation/

I've pretty much stopped squats and deads until my back is right, working on hip and hamstring flexibility as well as glute activation and will start doing pull-throughs and glute-ham raises along with most of the exercises in the above article and some light upper body stuff (Bench, Bent over Rows). Once I feel my flexibility is good enough and my back is free of pain I will start rebuilding my deads and squats from scratch so I don't f**k myself up. Short term loss of ego for future prosperity.

So pretty much: Work on your flexibility, sort your posture out.

Martli

Coach
Also along the lines of posture: Work on shoulder posture. A lot of emphasis is placed on big chest, lats, shoulders, this all pulls your shoulders forward if you don't balance out the back. I see heaps of people (myself included) walking around the gym like this.

poor%20posture%2035%25.jpg

18to87

First Grade
Squats

Neglected you say? Hell yes! Have a look around your local gym and count how many guys have massive chests and arms and pencil-thin legs.

Squats work virtually every muscle in your lower body, especially when you add a calf raise to the end of each rep. Plus squats stimulate Human Growth Hormone production leading to accelarated overall muscle growth.

No workout is complete without squats.

Well I occasionally see people doing Smith Machine Squats, which in my opinion, doesn't count. May as well throw the thing out.