What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ODI: England v Australia at Southhampton Sept 9, 2009

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
easy win for Australia

the commentators weren't too impressed with England

about time Cameron White lived up to expectations, he really is batting well

aussies1st

Staff member
English fans are pretty pissed too, they were calling it dreadful, didn't see the 1st innings to know if it was just them or both of us.

Will be interesting to see what they do now with Ponting coming back.

I think they will drop Hopes, open with Watson and White and bat Paine at 7.

IanG

Coach
I tried to sit up and watch but fell asleep and when I woke up it was still on. So I got to watch the last hour of it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I would think they'll need Hopes to bowl

Hussey has done nothing to retain his spot imo

Ridders

Coach
I didn't watch the game so i don't know what the pitch was like, but why did it take us so long to chase down a pretty modest total?

TheParraboy

Staff member
I didn't watch the game so i don't know what the pitch was like, but why did it take us so long to chase down a pretty modest total?

Clarke was pretty slow again, 92 balls (over 15 overs) for his 52

I guess he could afford to go slow with wickets and overs in hand

Its when we bat first his rate is a worry

African Monkey

First Grade
I agree, Kallis is solid quality. Best in the business. Anyway AM, got tired of the Heagarty thread did you?
No I've always admired both. Jacques is my favourite cricketer and Hegs is my favourite league player.

I take it you've never seen the Jacques Kallis appreciation thread ?

aussies1st

Staff member

Could be alright, only problem is our late hitting unless we move Johnson up to 4-6. Paine's strike rate wasn't bad today so I would persist with him.

Ridders

Coach
Once people read the JKAT in its entirety, they will jump on the Kallis wagon im sure

I can vouch for that. I never really fully appreciated the greatness of the man until i read through what is, in my opinion, one of the great threads ever created on LU. Well played to those who brought it to life so that us mere mortals can come together and appreciate a man that is simply not from this world.

jargan83

Coach
English fans are pretty pissed too, they were calling it dreadful, didn't see the 1st innings to know if it was just them or both of us.

The wickets I saw were English Batsmen getting out to very poor shots. Collingwood faced 52 balls for his 28 when quick runs were the order as well

Hussey has done nothing to retain his spot imo

Your not the only one with that opinion :)

aussies1st

Staff member
Hussey's ODI form isn't too bad compared to his Test form. But I won't complain if hes dropped but if we are dropping anyone Clarke should be first to go, hes no longer got the mindset for ODIs.

eddiesmith

Juniors
Hussey's ODI form isn't too bad compared to his Test form. But I won't complain if hes dropped but if we are dropping anyone Clarke should be first to go, hes no longer got the mindset for ODIs.
Which would also allow White to bat at no4, he is doing well at 3 so may as well keep him up there for now, still got the Hussey problem, other problem is the way Clarke is batting you cant even afford to drop him down the order

I do not agree at all with the idea of White opening, doesnt have the technique to face the new ball every game

May as well persist with Paine opening for the moment, facing this England side they wont be needed to chase 300 at all so the speed at the top isnt vital

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
That was just a stupid display from the English who never got set to the conditions, how many of them got out caught on the drive?... matt prior's pull shot, ffs roll your wrists or go over the man at mid-wicket, you learn that in club cricket. I'm just dissapointed that we weren't treated to a display, if was poor form from the English. Australia of old would have put the cleaner to them, with Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting... we would have been around 1/150 between 20-25 overs.

I can live with our chase last night, but not with our current openers... Watson just doesn't have the technique, he's been very lucky so far to have not been exposed. I wouldn't mind him coming in at 4 or 5. Its clear that Clarke is committed to 'establishing his innings' and its killing us in the middle order at times, and he's not going to be punted from the team... so let him open with someone like Hopes/Warner - who can be used as a DH per se ( to go the tonk.)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can vouch for that. I never really fully appreciated the greatness of the man until i read through what is, in my opinion, one of the great threads ever created on LU. Well played to those who brought it to life so that us mere mortals can come together and appreciate a man that is simply not from this world.
:thumb

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If anyone should go it should be Hussey, 34 and wont be around for the next WC.. None of the others have done anything wrong to get dropped.

beads6

First Grade
I think Ponting should just retire from ODI's as well. As for PUP and Watson they need a rocket up them they can score quicker but are just too scared to take risks.

TheParraboy

Staff member

:clap:

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think Ponting should just retire from ODI's as well. As for PUP and Watson they need a rocket up them they can score quicker but are just too scared to take risks.

I reckon Punter will retire from one dayers after the 2011 world cup, then all going well, probably just concentrate on test cricket

Will be interesting if he does play till 2013 ashes, With Sachin Tendulkar playing on, these two will wbe so far ahead of everyone else, and with possibly less test cricket being played in the future, no one will get close to the amount of runs they end up getting

Latest posts