What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ODI: New Zealand v Australia at Hamilton on Feb 5, 2017

Iafeta

Referee
I'd prefer both Broom and Brownlie ahead of Nicholls and CDG. Unfortunately the ineptitude of the Bangladesh attack will keep Nicholls in.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Expected series result

Weirdly enough we would have retained the trophy had we managed to get home in the first game on the back of the once in a lifetime innings of Stoinis

But the better side won the series. Once again we got what we deserved by resting our better players.

oh well bring on SL in the t20 against our 2nd string side :p

mozza91

Coach
Finch
Marsh
Handscomb
Head
Maxwell
Stoinis
I'd back a NSW top 6 sans all current Internationals ahead of that rabble.

JJ

Immortal
Expected series result

Weirdly enough we would have retained the trophy had we managed to get home in the first game on the back of the once in a lifetime innings of Stoinis

But the better side won the series. Once again we got what we deserved by resting our better players.

oh well bring on SL in the t20 against our 2nd string side :p
You rested one player? Smith was injured. I'd have backed us to do well at home against anyone if we are at full strength

Meth

Staff member
Obviously Australia have their eyes on India and fair enough. But Warner was the only one that I know of that was rested. It's just a shame that Smith was then injured. Probably, Warner should have got the call up as soon as Smith went down. Take away Warner and Smith (and maybe Khawaja- who hasn't ever really been guaranteed an ODI spot) from your side and you really are that vulnerable and dependent on your bowlers.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Looking st that Rabble of a top 6 I'm surprised we got close in both chases.
Stoinis was excellent and pretty much the only reason these games were close - and until this tour you'd all be lining up to give Handscomb and Head, well head

Resting Warner was an arrogant move, but fans are being pretty arrogant now

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Stoinis was excellent and pretty much the only reason these games were close - and until this tour you'd all be lining up to give Handscomb and Head, well head

Resting Warner was an arrogant move, but fans are being pretty arrogant now
On the selectors I wouldn't say arrogance more stupidity, we pick a better balanced team for both games and we win at least one of them.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
You rested one player? Smith was injured. I'd have backed us to do well at home against anyone if we are at full strength
So what you're saying is that your batsmen and bowlers play better at home? Yet if Australians do that they're dismissed as flat track bullies and you head off to watch the tennis. Interesting.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Do you mean squad selection, or side selection?
Both, but that line up we picked yesterday was laughable. Faulkner has barely scored a run in ODI cricket in 2 years and he was in at 7. And you can't rely on Maxwell any time there is pressure on, he's a luxury in the top 6 when you are on top but when you have to work hard for a win he's got nothing. And we picked him for India lol.

Meth

Staff member
Obviously, with Smith and Warner in the form that they are in, this series would have been very different if they were present. A year ago, Smith and Warner were horrible (one innings from Warner aside) against NZ and consequently, the whole top 6 capitulated. Goes to show how vital guys like Warner and Smith (and Hazelwood and Starc) are for the balance of a team.

Meth

Staff member
Both, but that line up we picked yesterday was laughable. Faulkner has barely scored a run in ODI cricket in 2 years and he was in at 7. And you can't rely on Maxwell any time there is pressure on, he's a luxury in the top 6 when you are on top but when you have to work hard for a win he's got nothing. And we picked him for India lol.

Out of interest, with the squad that you had, what side would you have picked yesterday?

Meth

Staff member
Would you have Faulkner is the ODI side as a bowling-allrounder? It seems to me that although he isn't really performing with the bat, he's going pretty well with the ball. With Warner and Smith in the side, he seems like a decent 7.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Out of interest, with the squad that you had, what side would you have picked yesterday?
Dont think he should of been over there but dropping a batsman and bringing on another bowler when it was our batting that let us down in game one. Heazlett had to stay over one of the bowlers. Or even Maxwell, now he's not bowling is a luxury, Him and Head should be vying for the one spot.

JJ

Immortal
Obviously, with Smith and Warner in the form that they are in, this series would have been very different if they were present. A year ago, Smith and Warner were horrible (one innings from Warner aside) against NZ and consequently, the whole top 6 capitulated. Goes to show how vital guys like Warner and Smith (and Hazelwood and Starc) are for the balance of a team.

Of course - but Smith was hurt as Taylor was in the pre-Xmas series. Not sending Warner was their call, obviously their focus is India - can't blame them for that

Meth

Staff member
hmmm, I agree that batting was your issue, not bowling, and that a batsmen would have been preferable...but from what I've seen of Heazlett (not much admittedly), I think that Maxwell, Head, Stonis, Starc, Faulkner and Cummins would have been a better bet with the bat yesterday, at this stage at least.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We also rested Oozie. Those top 3 make a pretty big difference.

We didn't deserve to win with the team we sent over there, should teach our selectors a lesson, picking Hazelett was unbelievable.