What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v India at Perth Jan 13-17, 2012

franklin2323

Immortal
How the hell is India ranked 2nd in cricket? When playing away from India they show no heart.

This is the most disappointing put of these 3 tests. They are number 2 in the world. Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid & Laxman all have decent records down here so you would of expected better.

11Straight

Juniors
It's really sad the way india have just given up.

Me personally was looking forward to see how we would go against quality opposition but alas it wasn't to be..

Meth

Staff member
I have been talking a bit of cricket on these forums for a couple of weeks, while I've been on holiday. Prior to that I hadn't (apart from a post here and there) for a couple of years. I'm not sure of Eddie's history and how long he has been trolling and I do know that there have been other kiwi's trolling in the past as well. However, I don't really have any sympathy for any Aussie on here who is annoyed by that because El Diablo has been wheeling out his old one-trick 'sheepf**ker' routine for so long. As soon as El Diablo posts, the tone of the forum takes a dive.

TheParraboy

Staff member
It's really sad the way india have just given up.

Me personally was looking forward to see how we would go against quality opposition but alas it wasn't to be..

Well we got WI next April, then not too sure who we play up until our next summer, where we host SL

I think SA, Eng and Pakistan are the top 3 test sides , and we drew 1-1 with SA in their own backyard. When the 2013 ashes roll around, its quite possible n01 will be playing no2, that would be an epic series over there

Meth

Staff member
Well we got WI next April, then not too sure who we play up until our next summer, where we host SL

I think SA, Eng and Pakistan are the top 3 test sides , and we drew 1-1 with SA in their own backyard. When the 2013 ashes roll around, its quite possible n01 will be playing no2, that would be an epic series over there

I think you are scheduled for a Test series v South Africa in Australia this year, prior to Sri Lanka

Meth

Staff member
Obviously it would have been preferable from an Australian point of view to prevail in a tough, contested series over India but I do think that this series will be refreshing and somewhat valuable for Australia. It wouldn't be beneficial for them if beating up a pea-hearted India caused them to become complacent or to think they are further along than they are- but I doubt they are under any illusions in that respect.

All in all, I think Australia are a team on the up. I would suggest that on the merits of this series they've definitively (though not officially) overtaken India, pulled up alongside South Africa and are in pursuit of England. If I were an Australian supporter, I would be satisfied that things are progressing nicely despite the odd blip on the radar.

yappy

Bench
Obviously it would have been preferable from an Australian point of view to prevail in a tough, contested series over India but I do think that this series will be refreshing and somewhat valuable for Australia. It wouldn't be beneficial for them if beating up a pea-hearted India caused them to become complacent or to think they are further along than they are- but I doubt they are under any illusions in that respect.

All in all, I think Australia are a team on the up. I would suggest that on the merits of this series they've definitively (though not officially) overtaken India, pulled up alongside South Africa and are in pursuit of England. If I were an Australian supporter, I would be satisfied that things are progressing nicely despite the odd blip on the radar.

Pretty much how I see it. We've been heading in the right direction since the end of the Ashes, but still a long way to go. India have been heartless so the wins have been easier than they should have been, but that's not to take anything away from how consistently well our bowlers have performed. On a real positive note in terms of pace I think three young guys in Cummins, Patterson and Hazelwood will overtake the 4 guys who played at the WACA in the fairly near future. Barring having 6 guys injured all at once we'll field very good pace attacks for the foreseeable future.

The other area where we have made great strides is just the general tactical and strategic ability especially on the field. Having a hugely improved pace attack obviously helps, but Clarke gets more out of his players than Ponting. A good attack and a smart Captain to lead them has made a huge difference.

I have though Warner would be a special for Test for a while, but I was always thinking that he should have had this Shield season first. In the end though he's just too good. You don't want to get too excited about a player too soon, but boy does he have something about him. Won't say we have his opening slot sorted yet, but he's not far away from being a lock for a long time. I also think Cowan has the look of someone who would make a fantastic partner for Warner. If they can see out the first 10 overs regularly they'll make a mountain of runs and do it quickly. Not a problem solved yet, but positive signs.

The unresolved problems: No.3. I always said Marsh was too inconsistent and injury prone to be a Test batsman. In tests he's been inconsistent and injury prone. Needs a score in Adelaide or Watson takes his spot. I'm hoping for a fail, because I don't think the rare beautiful ton (and they are both beautiful and rare) is worth the grief. A kind of stand-by role similar to Harris where they come in to fill a temporary injury hole is the best I see for him. Watson coming back will be a boon to the bowling stocks (from strong to frightening if he's bowling well), but I don't think 3 is his spot batting either. I'd be happier with him at 4 longer term, but even that might be too high. Uzi is the long term solution I think at 3, but it could take a while to get him back there.

Ponting and Hussey. The tons in Sydney haven't solved any problems, just delayed the day that they will be addressed. India are paying for hanging onto players for too long. Hopefully Punter will see a thrashing of India as a good time to get off the train. The depth of replacements isn't great, but the idea that we are just going to uncover some superstar to slip straight in and start banging hundreds is silly. A Caribbean tour is as good an opportunity as any to get a few tests under someone's belt. Again Khawaja is probably the guy, but I'd hate to see us facing England in 18 months with both Hussey and Ponting in the side and have them pull a Dravid and Laxman on us. At least one has to go before then.

Haddin. Said he should have been dropped after SA, and I doubt anyone would seriously argue we'd have gone worse with Wade in the spot. Adelaide should be his last test.

Lyon. Not so much a problem as a jury's out call. Has looked good at times, and innocuous at others. That is the finger spinner's lot though. Still think SOK offers more, but Lyon will get and deserves a few more chances. Fingers crossed that O'Keefe tours as the back up spinner though. If he gets a chance I suspect he'll take it.

So all in all. big improvements in the pace bowling and leadership, positive signs in the opening partnership and spin bowling, issues to resolve in the middle order and keeping. Not a bad result for one year from rock bottom. Hold the gains and solve a few more problems this coming year and the poms might not find 2013 as much fun as they were hoping.

aussies1st

Staff member
As long as Hussey and Ponting are scoring runs they are useful to get our new opening combo settled in. And hopefully by a couple of test series that would have happened and Watson settles into his new role and the new keeper does likewise. Then we can ease out Ponting and Hussey.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
not according to Metho

As you probably wouldn't know because you don't enter the threads because of your complete lack of knowledge of the international games, I actually post in pretty much all the Test game day threads such as South Africa vs whoever, India vs West Indies etc. Meanwhile you post in Australia vs whoever and spend half the time talking about New Zealand. Sad.

yappy

Bench
As long as Hussey and Ponting are scoring runs they are useful to get our new opening combo settled in. And hopefully by a couple of test series that would have happened and Watson settles into his new role and the new keeper does likewise. Then we can ease out Ponting and Hussey.

But how long do you wait? We have the Windies, then SA and SL at home, then the Ashes. I don't subscribe to the idea that we focus on the Ashes with everything else just a warm up, but neither do I think we want to be debuting guys against the poms. I would hope that barring a shocking loss of form or injuries the middle order we play against the Lankans is the side we're taking to England.

So do you give Punter/Muss one last dreadlock holiday and then bring new blood in against the yarpies? Again I'm not sure fiddling with the order is the smartest thing against Steyn and his mates on I'm assuming the Gabba, WACA and Bellerive.

That's why I reckon the Windies tour is the best chance we have to try and get our middle order sorted. Now maybe the plan is that Hussey and Ponting will both be in the side for all ten Ashes tests in 2013-14, but having seen first hand what hanging onto old men has done for India I'd be wary of that as a plan.

Meth

Staff member
I have a feeling that players in the class of Ponting and Hussey will be able to produce decent innings for far longer than it would be profitable to retain them. They may lapse into slumps, but there will always be talk of a 'big one just around the corner' and likely there will be. At some point, Australia is going to have to bite the bullet, nominate successors and back them while they go through their learning curves. This is especially true of Ponting's successor (either Marsh or Khawaja seemingly)