What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v New Zealand at Adelaide on Nov 27-Dec 1, 2015

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
great read.

Imagine having a closer look at someone's record to determine if they have what it takes.

In my opinion if you're the son a former great you should be prejudiced in the opposite direction. Make you prove your worth, not receive favourable treatment because of a name.

I cant see any other explanation for his continued selection.

JJ

Immortal
Has he really been good for you? Besides those times that Australia were chasing quick runs at the end of an innings, I can't remember a single time he has either taken a wicket or tied one end up. 6 for 438 at an average of 73, a strike rate of 86 and an economy rate of 5.09

He'll probably win this match on his own now knowing my luck

EDIT: Had a look and all 6 of his wickets were at the end of an innings - 3 in the 2nd innings of the first test when Australia were looking to declare and 3 in the 1st innings of the second test which were the last 3 of that innings as Australia were looking to declare

I meant more broadly - he's been shit in these two tests, no question... but he's been a good 2nd innings bowler for NZ, and terrific at #8 and in the slips...

They wont drop him now, he's earned his place on prior performances - Hesson has said as much.

jargan83

Coach
Shaun Marsh's fifth stint in the Test side could not have been worse, and the much-maligned batsman knows he must deliver at home in his sixth crack to win over doubters.

Marsh has been called up to Australia's XI for a sixth time, having essentially served as a reserve batsman since touring South Africa in February, 2014.

The 32-year-old's Test record in that stretch is reasonable.

He's averaged 37.33 from eight matches, including 254 runs at 42.33 in last summer's home series against India.

But the perception of being gifted too many chances has been hard to shake for Marsh, especially after a woeful performance in the Ashes.

He totalled two runs in his most recent Test outing, when Australia surrendered the urn at Trent Bridge.

"It couldn't get any worse," Marsh said.

"I've tried to get it out of my mind. It wasn't a very good Test match - personally and for the team.

"I've sort of moved on.

"I guess you learn from lessons like that and, hopefully, I've learned some valuable lessons I can take into this next Test match."

Marsh was run out for 99 during last year's Boxing Day Test.

His career highlights both came overseas - a century on debut against Sri Lanka and a knock of 148 batting first on a Centurion pitch that looked unsafe when Mitchell Johnson bowled.
The left-hander knows there is only one way to silence those questioning why he was picked as Usman Khawaja's replacement: runs in Australia.

"Definitely - I really enjoyed playing last year against India and got a few good scores there without getting the hundred," Marsh said.

"It'd be nice to get to three figures in Adelaide, but I'm just really excited.
"I've been a little bit inconsistent with my Test career so far.

"I've felt really good over the past month in Shield cricket and feel like I've got a better game now to hopefully be successful at Test cricket."

Marsh has played 15 Tests - spread out over five years - and coach Darren Lehmann pointed to this experience when explaining the selection.

"He's made some runs and contributions ... he played really well for us last summer," Lehmann said. "He's been in and out as well which makes it tough for him. "He'll still want to prove himself again.

"He gets a couple of Test matches here and we'll see how he goes."

Lehmann also pointed to the fact Marsh was the leading run-scorer in the domestic one-day competition, save for Steve Smith, and downplayed his failures in England.

"That was a pretty poor Test match for us as a whole," he said, referencing the way Australia were skittled for 60 in little more than an hour-and-a-half.

Marsh revealed veteran opener Chris Rogers, who retired after the Ashes, helped him immensely on that tour.
"We just worked on a few little things on my game. He was fantastic to talk to; his record speaks for itself," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-...he-doubters-in-australian-test-return/6952606

Tommy Smith

Referee
Outstanding article. And time makes it ring even truer given that nothing has changed.

And yet, he's still being picked! Amazing.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would live to see SOK get a run. Drop Darsh. Bring in a quick and sok. Its going to be pretty f**king hot in Sadelaide.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
When asked about Darsh Boof said he will never forget his innings at Centurian about 3 years back.

Obviously current form is irrelevant as he did jackshit against the Vics the other day.

They still seem to use this pecking order system whereby if some one is next in line, he seems to be next in line for a few years regardless of current form.

Rather silly when you consider Darsh's batting average and current form and when he fails in Adelaide it will be just another test match for him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
32 years old and an average of 32 after 15 tests keeps you at the top of some sort of pecking order.

Oh well look how long it took for them to get rid of Watson???

JJ

Immortal
32 years old and an average of 32 after 15 tests keeps you at the top of some sort of pecking order.

Another example of you lot bagging someone for personal reasons - let's be very clear, it's insulting to Shaun Marsh to say he has a test average of 32. It's 33.11 :sarcasm: and his first class average is 38.5...

Another road, and I reckon he could be at 34 before you know it

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Another example of you lot bagging someone for personal reasons - let's be very clear, it's insulting to Shaun Marsh to say he has a test average of 32. It's 33.11 :sarcasm: and his first class average is 38.5...

My apologies to Shaun, 33.11 looks so much better.

JJ

Immortal
It is good though, it shows Martin Guptill that if he perseveres, he too can achieve similar levels of mediocrity

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its the sunk cost fallacy. The higher ups in australian cricket have put a lot of effort into marsh. If hes not a test player that means that all that time and effort was wasted. Worse still it means they are wrong.

Incorrect

Coach
Demonstrates the precarious position Aussie cricket seems to be in at the moment when SMarsh gets called in to the team and Pattinson who seems to have muscles made of worn rubber bands and bones made of breadsticks is considered ready for a recall also....

There seems to be a dearth of talent across a lot of the Test playing nations at the moment... I note Wood and Finn have been ruled out of England's tour of Sth Africa and the next cabs off the rank are some guys with fairly modest (at best) records like Plunkett and Jordan... Hard to get a gauge on on Sth Africa's form at the moment, will have to see how their homes series V England goes.... There will be a period of re-generation coming up there in 2-3 years perhaps with Amla, De Villiers and Steyne all around 32 years of age... those 3 all time greats won't be easily replaced...

Red Bear

Referee
Pattinson is really good, though.

Kiwi's have a good crop of quicks with Boult, Southee, Milne, Henry all mid 20's (Boult is much better than his performances here).

Pakistan continue to churn out quality players.

Even the Windies have Roach and Taylor, who are solid (Roach if he ever found consistency and fitness would be even better than that), Holder seems a good head although how his bowling develops will be interesting with a lot of pressure. England have some decent guys around the place although Anderson won't last forever.

Stocks aren't that bad, although I'd be worried that Sri Lanka may plumb the depths of mediocrity for a while. Batting will remain solid but I don't see many bowlers coming from there

Rabbits20

Immortal

His first class avg isn't good enough at 38.5 to be picked in Tests.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
His first class avg isn't good enough at 38.5 to be picked in Tests.

JvUoLUl.jpg