What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia V. Panikstan, 14 Jan Bellreive Oval

Meth

Staff member
They don't need Ahktar at all - with Asif, Aamer, Gul, and Kaneria - and Sami as a back up, their bowling attack is fine, easliy better than Australia's... be nice if a batsman could bowl as a change bowler...

Their problems are fielding (they are appalling) and batting - even with Younis they still only have 3 of a top 6 that you'd have much faith in

Yeah, their fielding does not do their bowling talent justice- nor in taking catches or in the fields Yousuf sets

Yousuf, to me, is a real issue. He just hasn't delivered to his potential in 2009 as much as he needed to with a young team around him, or more particularly batting below and with him. I think he should drop to 5 when Younis comes in

D

Deleted member 10972

One of Shahid Afridi or Abdul Razzaq need to make the transition to Test cricket, IMO.

Both are world-class allrounders, but Afridi doesn't have the patience of a top order batsmen or the bowling consistency of a Test class spinner, whilst Razzaq is unsuccessful as a block-or-blast batsman in Tests, and his seam bowling is on the wane and quickly becoming ineffective.

However, for the sake of side balance, and the fact that there are no other young and talented batting allrounders on the foreseeable horizon, one of these two needs to make the transition.

typicalfan

Coach
They don't need Ahktar at all - with Asif, Aamer, Gul, and Kaneria - and Sami as a back up, their bowling attack is fine, easliy better than Australia's... be nice if a batsman could bowl as a change bowler...

Their problems are fielding (they are appalling) and batting - even with Younis they still only have 3 of a top 6 that you'd have much faith in
they don't need him but having that extra bowler with that kind of pace gives them 4 bowlers and 4 very different bowlers, Sami has a poor test record also, the real problem with their batting isn't the talent.

Salman Butt for example averages under 30 in test cricket which is not test standard but his talent doesn't suggest that, it is too much 20/20 cricket, not enough test cricket and not enough matches on home soil. These players need to learn how to bat under long spells of pressure bowling not for 4 overs then slog. Umar is a great example of this, if he can nail the extra pressure in test matches he will be a star throughout his career, otherwise teams will just stifle him and he will get out slogging.

Yes an allrounder would help though, and make a few tailenders that can bat.

as for their attack being better than Australia's i agree on paper but i think the Australian bowlers contribute more in the field and with the bat and are more valuable, but pure bowling yes they are, they probably have the best pure bowling attack apart from S Africa if they lived up to their potential.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
BESIEGED Pakistan vice-captain Kamran Akmal has told his fellow selectors that if he does not wicketkeep this week in Hobart, he will not play as a batsman.

There has been some speculation that the struggling gloveman might stay in the side for his batting ability after a disastrous display behind the stumps in Sydney, but he has told the side it is all or nothing.

The wicketkeeper has six centuries and a dozen fifties from 48 Tests and is one of the more experienced players in the young team.

Akmal is insisting that he should be picked and as vice-captain he has one of the four votes on the touring selection committee which decides the final XI tomorrow, the player's 28th birthday.

There is some thought he may have the support of captain Mohammad Yousuf which could lead to a stand-off on match eve.

The Pakistan Cricket Board has sent over reserve keeper Sarfraz Ahmed and insisted he play in the Hobart Test.

The touring party is annoyed with the board, however, over its refusal to send out Younus Khan.

Yousuf and team manager Abdul Raquib asked for the former captain to join the team after the first Test, but the board did not respond and now Younus will not be here until the one-day series.

Akmal is their most immediate problem and he insists he is playing, but only if he is wicketkeeper and batsman.

"I am very happy with wicketkeeper-batsman, not only batsman. I will not play as a batsman," he said.

"I have pride playing for Pakistan as a wicketkeeper-batsman, so hopefully I am playing as wicketkeeper-batsman."

Akmal, who dropped four catches in the second innings in Sydney, said there was nothing wrong with his technique.

"It was a bad day for me, just forget it, it's finished," he said.

Akmal said he is receiving support from his brother Umar and family.

"They are supporting and encouraging and a lot of the family is praying for me and brother and team also," he said.

Family are not the only people supporting Akmal, with both Ricky Ponting and Brad Haddin giving him encouragement yesterday. The Australia wicketkeeper said he sympathised with his opposite number's plight.

"He's a proven performer at international cricket. I think he's played near 50 Tests and more importantly he's a good person so I would like to see him out there in this Test," Haddin said.

"We've all had those days and it feels just like quicksand.

"It feels like you can't fight your way out of it, but it's a new Test match and it gives you a couple of days to get away from the game and have a think about what happened.

"He's a quality international cricketer and I would be surprised if he didn't come out all guns blazing in this Test match."

Haddin, however, found it hard to understand how Akmal could turn down a place in the side if he was offered a batting position only.

"I think if you get a chance to play Test cricket whether it be a bowler, batter or keeper I think you jump at the chance," he said.

Ponting also endorsed Akmal.

"I saw some stuff on the news this morning about the captain not necessarily agreeing with the selectors as far as the wicketkeeping spot is concerned, but we will wait and see what happens," the Australia captain said.

"You've got to excuse Kamran Akmal a little bit. Yes, he's put down some easy catches, but his record for Pakistan over the past couple of years has been outstanding with the bat and with the gloves so I would be surprised if they left him out but we will wait and see."

Yousuf was non-committal yesterday about who would keep in the Test.

"He (Akmal) is here for playing, but we have not decided our 11 and the touring selection committee will decide on the 13th," the Pakistan captain said.

"It is a bit early (to decide on the wicketkeeper)."

The side also has to decide on who it leaves out now that young bowler Mohammad Aamer is fit.

"Bowling is not bad. We have a good bowling side. It is difficult to choose which bowler is playing," Yousuf said.

The captain again insisted that he must take the blame for playing a bad shot in the second innings in Sydney. "My team is all young. They don't take pressure. I am the captain," he said.

Yousuf blames his batsmen's rash shots on too much Twenty20 cricket and compared it to the popular Hollywood film Back To The Future.

"You've seen that film Back To The Future they are in Test cricket and suddenly they are back to the Twenty20," he said.

Umar Akmal did not train yesterday but Yousuf said he was suffering a sore back and was available for selection.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...loves-but-no-bat/story-e6frg7mf-1225818223476

Hallatia

Referee
Kamran's batting has not been great either, and you can't excuse him for those dropped catches because of his record over the past few years (get your head out of your arse Ponting, but I can see how a similar attitude could keep the likes of Hussey in the Aussie team), Kamran is having problems in the gloves at the moment...

Meth

Staff member
I am a fan of the Akmal boys, particularly Umar, but they both have come across like sooks in the aftermath of Kamran's dropped catches.

How bad was that bloke singing the anthem :crazy:

Wouldn't know
In Brisbane the pre-game prelims were not telecasted ... nor the first delivery.

Seems like Ch9 haven't learned from the first test this summer when they completley missed a dismissal.

Pakistan are pathetic
Absolutely pathetic
They should be stripped of international status.

How the f*ck do you drop simple catches?

yappy

Bench
FMD is Ponting taking batting lessons from Hilditch? How to Hook down Fine Leg's Throat 101.

He'd better make em pay for that.

Sir Biffo

Bench
How bad was that bloke singing the anthem :crazy:

Was he as bad as the bloke singing the Pakistani national anthem in Melbourne? He sounded like he was belting out "With or Without You" at the local tavern karaoke on a Thursday night.

Latest posts