What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v South Africa Cape Town - Mar 19-23, 2009

Bigfella

Coach
For a dead rubber, I think we should be seeing what Bollinger and McGain have to offer.

I am happy to see McDonald rested for that purpose as I see him as a short term measure. If the series was live I'd play him.

(JJ the answer to your question is that the real desperation to drop McDonald on the forum is that he is perceived to be keeping a NSW player out of the side).

I wouldn't rest Hussey. He needs time in the middle more than anyone.

Haddin's keeping is a massive concern. We won't win tight matche / series with catching like that. Obviously his batting is a massive plus; but he is dropping a huge number of catches.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think our overall catching is poor, or certainly gone backwards

Wicketkeeping included

I know Buchannan/Marsh/Simpson used to do a ton of fielding drills, Not sure Nielson has them doing anything near what was done in the past?

Bazal

Post Whore
I think our overall catching is poor, or certainly gone backwards

Wicketkeeping included

I agree...Haddin's not the only one. Even just in this match, North dropped a catch at slip, and Pup dropped an absolute sitter at point...our fielding has fallen through the floor

Syren

Juniors
Haddin has done more with the bat than with his gloves. If his batting drops or when he's out of form, he might be in danger of losing his place.

If McDonald was going to be a permanent fixture then I think he would have been at 1st slip, where he fields for Victoria in the absense of Cam White. Does North even field at slip for WA?

aussies1st

Staff member
3-0 but I don't get the desperation to drop McDonald, especially given McGain looks pretty terrible and you've won two tests already

The Effrikaaans are cooked

You are basing McGain being terrible on one tour match? He is the best of our spinners and deserves a shot before the Ashes. As for McDonald, a 120km/h bowler is never going to be a serious threat. How many other sides would he get into on his bowling alone?

caylo

Bench
I think Symonds showed today that he could quiet easily play the role of a medium pacer, and would add alot more with the bat. I would still prefer 4 bowler and 6 batsman. Johnson, Siddle, Hilffy, Bollinger are our best 4, and when Lee and Clark the would be joined with Siddle and Johnson in the bowling ranks. Spin left up to North, Katich and Clarke.

We shouldnt play a non-Test standerd spinner if we don't have one. Siddle avgs 25 with ball, Clark 22, Johnson 27 and Lee 30. They are the best 4 bowler in t he country and thus should play IMO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree on the spinner but Roy opening the bowling for the Queenslanders yesterday just highlighted how average the Queensland bowlers are.

His form before he got injured was pretty poor.

aussies1st

Staff member
Steve Magoffin on his way home from South Africa after missing selection

From correspondents in Cape Town, South Africa
March 14, 2009 Australia have sent Steve Magoffin home to Perth after the tall fast bowler wasn't included in the 16-man squad for next month's five one-day internationals in South Africa.
Magoffin was called up as a standby player a week ago when Australia were juggling several injuries among their pace-bowling ranks with Ben Hilfenhaus (back) and Peter Siddle (foot) in doubt for the second Test in Durban and Doug Bollinger (stomach-muscle strain) ruled out of the match.

However, Hilfenhaus and Siddle both played in Australia's series-clinching win in Durban and Magoffin and fellow standby bowler Brett Geeves were overlooked.

Bollinger is expected to challenge Hilfenhaus and Siddle for a place in the side for the third Test in Cape Town which starts on Thursday.

Geeves will stay on after he was included in the squad for both the two Twenty20 Internationals on March 27 and 29 in Johannesburg and Pretoria and the five one-dayers.

Geeves, who played one ODI game for Australia last year, is expected to figure prominently, with Hilfenhaus and Siddle to be rested from the ODI series.

Victoria's Shane Harwood and Queensland's Ben Laughlin, son of former Test all-rounder Trevor, have also been included in Australia's ODI squad.

“Both Peter and Ben had significant injuries during the 2008 off-season,'' chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said.

“Since returning to cricket they have had a demanding and heavy Australian season and will have completed three back-to-back Test matches in South Africa.

“The recommendation of the coaching and fitness staff was that they have time off now to allow them to recuperate and then commence a structured training program in ideal preparation potentially for the World Twenty20 and the Ashes.''

South Africa beat Australia 4-1 in January in the ODI series in Australia and have claimed the No.1 ranking ahead of Ricky Ponting's world champions.
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25185278-5018824,00.html

chileman

Coach
:sarcasm: Drop Haddin and put Brett Lee in as keeper :roll: Haddin may be average but he gets the job done and when he is batting in full flight, he's as exciting as any Gilchrist we have had!

caylo

Bench
:sarcasm: Drop Haddin and put Brett Lee in as keeper :roll: Haddin may be average but he gets the job done and when he is batting in full flight, he's as exciting as any Gilchrist we have had!

I think people are quiet critical of Haddin, in india be outperformed Dhoni with the gloves (while having a broken finger). IN SA he has not been that bad, his biggest problem from what i can see is flying infront of first slip for the catch. This is something I have seen Gilly do 100 times before, and when it comes off it looks good. At the end of the day a keeper go for what he thinks he can take. Id prefer to see Haddin go for the dive then let the ball sale through 1st and 2nd slip.

You also have to understand that North and Haddin have stood next to eachother for 2 games. The understanding is not there yet, and will take time to relay develop. North may stand slightly closer than Hayden did, or may have a shorter rach etc.

Haddin has kept well IMO, and his batting is on the improve. Id like to see his avg a little higher though, should be atleast in the low 45 but prefer to see it around 50.

caylo

Bench
I think people are quiet critical of Haddin, in india be outperformed Dhoni with the gloves (while having a broken finger). IN SA he has not been that bad, his biggest problem from what i can see is flying infront of first slip for the catch. This is something I have seen Gilly do 100 times before, and when it comes off it looks good. At the end of the day a keeper go for what he thinks he can take. Id prefer to see Haddin go for the dive then let the ball sale through 1st and 2nd slip.

You also have to understand that North and Haddin have stood next to eachother for 2 games. The understanding is not there yet, and will take time to relay develop. North may stand slightly closer than Hayden did, or may have a shorter rach etc.

Haddin has kept well IMO, and his batting is on the improve. Id like to see his avg a little higher though, should be atleast in the low 45 but prefer to see it around 50.
Actually ment keeper and 1st slip. If his diving for something between 1st and 2nd slip, he must think his superman.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
thirdtest-rsaaus.jpg

Latest posts