What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Newlands, Capetown, March 22-26, 2018

Timbo

Staff member
'We'll learn from this and get past it'.

He really, really doesn't get it. This is not some minor f**kup mate.

I reckon Smith probably went to bed last night thinking he'll get a slap on the wrist. Wait till he checks the internet when he wakes up tomorrow.

Fangs

Coach
when interviewed on Foxsports this morning and asked who is the leadership group Clarkie said when he was skipper is was captain, vice captain and coach, but admitted he did not know who was the current leadership group

Craddock mentioned Hazelwood and Lyon.

Iafeta

Referee
words from our fearless leader

Sutherland launches tampering probe
QANTAS TOUR OF SOUTH AFRICAaccess_time2:30
Cricket Australia will wait for an internal investigation to determine if captain Steve Smith or any of his teammates will receive additional sanctions for their actions during last night’s Test in Cape Town.

Cricket Australia's head of integrity Iain Roy and high performance manager Pat Howard will fly to South Africa to conduct the inquest, CA CEO James Sutherland said at a press conference today in Melbourne.

Sutherland said it’s a "sad day for Australian cricket”, but CA will not make any decisions "without all the facts" after Smith's stunning admission his side deliberately cheated by ball tampering.

QUICK SINGLE
subjectAustralia own up to ball tampering
Rookie opener Cameron Bancroft was captured by television cameras with a piece of yellow tape with chunks of the pitch on the sticky side, used to rough up the ball in an attempt to generate reverse swing on day three in Cape Town.

"I was extremely disappointed and shocked to read the news this morning after events in Cape Town," Sutherland told a packed press conference.

"Australian cricket fans want to be proud of their cricket team and this morning they have every reason to wake up and not be proud of the team.

"It's a sad day for Australian cricket.

"One of the unique things about the game of cricket is that it's to be played not only within the laws of the game but also the spirit of the game.

"Activities on the field yesterday in Cape Town were neither within the laws of the game nor within the spirit of the game.

"For us at Cricket Australia that's extremely disappointing and more importantly, for Australian cricket fans, it's extremely disappointing."

QUICK SINGLE
subjectClarke says leaders must carry sanctions
Sutherland made it clear no action will be taken by Cricket Australia with regard to the players involved until all information is collated.

"Unfortunately, that (Smith and Bancroft's admission) is not the end of it and can't be the end of it," he said.

"We have a responsibility to take this further and understand more about the issue.

"We will, over the next couple of days, get a deep understanding of what happened and why."

QUICK SINGLE
subjectTimeline of tamper: Dark day for Australia
Bancroft was charged by match referee Andy Pycroft with a Level 2 offence of attempting to alter the condition of the ball. It is understood the Western Australian has accepted the sanction, with the penalty still unknown.

Smith said the team's as yet undefined "leadership group" devised the plan at the lunch interval without the knowledge of the coaching staff.

"I'm not naming names but the leadership group talked about it and 'Bangers' was around at the time," said Smith after play.

"We spoke about it and thought it was a possible way to get an advantage.

"Obviously, today was a big mistake on my behalf and on the leadership group's behalf as well.

"But I take responsibility as the captain, I need to take control of the ship, but this is certainly something I'm not proud of and something that I hope I can learn from and come back strong from.

"I am embarrassed to be sitting here talking about this.

"We're in the middle of such a great series and for something like this to overshadow the great cricket that's been played and not have a single cricket question (at this press conference), that's not what I'm about and not what the team's about.

"We'll move past this. It's a big error in judgement but we'll learn from it and move past it."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jam...ustralia-south-africa-test-captain/2018-03-25

Lol - really? He had to read the news? No one in the cricketing set up thought to call him, or even text him?

I bet he’s one of the work life balance types who turns the phone off at the end of the day and over the weekend. Sure, I do that, but I’m not the chief of my national cricket organisation

Fangs

Coach
what a sad and sorry state of affairs.

Tim Paine will be captain before the week is out. No surviving this for Smith.

If not Tim Paine then its hard to see who else it could be. We definately need an 'interim' captain and then a proper decision must be made once the series is over.

Timbo

Staff member
If not Tim Paine then its hard to see who else it could be. We definately need an 'interim' captain and then a proper decision must be made once the series is over.

Khawaja is Queensland skipper. As an interim move he'd work too.

But I agree that it should be Paine.

Eelectrica

Referee
Lol - really? He had to read the news? No one in the cricketing set up thought to call him, or even text him?

I bet he’s one of the work life balance types who turns the phone off at the end of the day and over the weekend. Sure, I do that, but I’m not the chief of my national cricket organisation
Maybe he usually leaves it on, but thought. 'Surely nothing is going to happen now, one good night's rest would be nice' and BAM!

In the extremely unlikely event that Australia win this test, how would the reaction be then?

Should this test keep going? Or do SA just get credited with the win now?

I think we should forfeit.

I certainly won’t be watching anymore of this match.

'We'll learn from this and get past it'.

He really, really doesn't get it. This is not some minor f**kup mate.

I reckon Smith probably went to bed last night thinking he'll get a slap on the wrist. Wait till he checks the internet when he wakes up tomorrow.

He will get a slap on the wrist, from the ICC. They have form.

Eelectrica

Referee
I think we should forfeit.

I certainly won’t be watching anymore of this match.
Nah, I'm quite happy for the match to continue and for SA to kick our butts. I doubt we'll get much more than 50 when it's our turn to bat.
SA deserve to have the pleasure of destroying this team.

Eelectrica

Referee
The chance of winning is minimal, but imagine if we did?! Far out.
Not gonna happen, but if it somehow did, the win would be forever tainted and have a giant asterix beside it.

The Umps will give SA every 50/50 decision from this point on. I don't imagine they liked being made fools of with Bancroft showing them a sunglass pouch.

JJ

Immortal
They were losing.

This series has been angry, spiteful, emotional and I think the combination of pressure, competition and animosity has clouded a lot of judgement on a moment of madness.

That's not excusing what they did at all. I'm just saying that when things get as heated as this series has and losing isn't an option the intelligent, logical and right thing can conveniently be forgotten in the moment.

This is crickets version of Mike Tyson biting Holyfield's ear off. It was a poor and stupid emotional reaction to losing in a high pressure environment.

Not the sort of quality you want in a captain/leader.
yep, I get that - but the "leadership group" decided this... collectively they decided to cheat? Just so poor it's hilarious - Tyson was on his own with the world watching - he didn't sit down with 3-4 advisors and decide to have his brain snap

They are just annoyed they got caught

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Lol - really? He had to read the news?

I had the same reaction, couldn't beleive it

what sort of shit storm is this running, he has to read about whats going on with our team in the paper, no one thought to inform him ?

says a lot really

Latest posts