What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: South Africa v Australia at Newlands, Capetown, March 22-26, 2018

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yep....international players being disciplined by different standards....

but if it's two seperate and independent bodies doing the discipline then how is it a double standard?

You may not like it, you may not think it's fair, and that's fine, but it is in no way a double standard.

Mr Spock!

Referee
South Africa didn't have a meltdown but I doubt Cricket is their national sport too

I live near a local cricket club, you go down there on a Saturday and every one of the 12 fields has a game going on between juniors, CA has to take a stance on this to send a clear and loud message to parents and even young kids that cheating is just simply not on, the half assed penalty handed by the ICC is not enough, as an Aussie who grew up watching and playing the game I have never felt more embarrassed to be a fan of Australian cricket.. so much so that I would be happy to accept mediocre performances for the next few years if it meant we removed the right of those responsible from representing Australia, the game is bigger than individuals

Steve Smith went from potentially becoming one of our all time great batsmen to nothing more than a cheat, seeing him in the field makes me feel sick. I look at Pakistan cricket and their infamous match-fixing and I never imagined I would ever look at an Australian player and feel the same as I do about Pakistan players, I still can't believe it.. I thought April Fool's day had come a week earlier

Yep...and I watched the underarm incident and still cheered Chappell through the rest of his career.

You get over it dude.

It's just cricket.

And yeah everyone's doing it.

Mr Spock!

Referee
but if it's two seperate and independent bodies doing the discipline then how is it a double standard?

You may not like it, you may not think it's fair, and that's fine, but it is in no way a double standard.

One standard for one and another standard for another ergo double standard....

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not a betting man, but Rabada did all right at the appeal hearing.
So you do not understand the Rabada was the ICC, Smith being stood down has nothing to do with them and was done by CA.

Bancroft has been penalised by the ICC, Smith has not, well not yet.

CA will not re-instate Smith now that they have taken it from him. This has zero to do with the ICC.

blaza88z

Coach
Well done Nathan Lyon, too bad the achievement won't get the recognition it deserves, this game feels like a non-event

Hutty1986

Immortal
South Africa didn't have a meltdown but I doubt Cricket is their national sport too

I live near a local cricket club, you go down there on a Saturday and every one of the 12 fields has a game going on between juniors, CA has to take a stance on this to send a clear and loud message to parents and even young kids that cheating is just simply not on, the half assed penalty handed by the ICC is not enough, as an Aussie who grew up watching and playing the game I have never felt more embarrassed to be a fan of Australian cricket.. so much so that I would be happy to accept mediocre performances for the next few years if it meant we removed the right of those responsible from representing Australia, the game is bigger than individuals

Steve Smith went from potentially becoming one of our all time great batsmen to nothing more than a cheat, seeing him in the field makes me feel sick. I look at Pakistan cricket and their infamous match-fixing and I never imagined I would ever look at an Australian player and feel the same as I do about Pakistan players, I still can't believe it.. I thought April Fool's day had come a week earlier
That's a bit much isn't it?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
One standard for one and another standard for another ergo double standard....

In order for it to be a double standard the two standards have to come from the same body/person/entity. Otherwise it's just two varying standards from two independent bodies.

You keep fighting the good fight, but you're wrong, and that's not an opinion, it's just basic English language.

blaza88z

Coach
That's a bit much isn't it?

Perhaps it is, I just don't think taking away the captaincy will be enough to send the message required to see to it that it never happens again, I will be very interested to see what CA does given the backlash from the public

axl rose

Bench
How is it any different to a bowler being warned for running down the middle fo the wicket to scruff it up?

TheFrog

Coach
In order for it to be a double standard the two standards have to come from the same body/person/entity. Otherwise it's just two varying standards from two independent bodies.

You keep fighting the good fight, but you're wrong, and that's not an opinion, it's just basic English language.

Du Plessis was not suspended by the ICC for ball tampering. If Smith is suspended for ball tampering it will be a double standard.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Perhaps it is, I just don't think taking away the captaincy will be enough to send the message required to see to it that it never happens again, I will be very interested to see what CA does given the backlash from the public
What do you honestly think he'll cop?

blaza88z

Coach
What do you honestly think he'll cop?

I think they'll suspend him for a period of time and then give him the opportunity to make his way back into the team and earn back some of the respect which he lost, I don't think he will ever be captain again

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Du Plessis was not suspended by the ICC for ball tampering. If Smith is suspended for ball tampering it will be a double standard.

Disagree.

If you want to break it down to a single category of simply calling it "ball tampering" then sure you can argue that. However, there's a reason why most indiscretions (both in sport and in real life) have varying degrees of severity. This situation is not identical to what Smith/Bancroft did, and that's why broader categories have varying degrees.

in any case, at the moment the ICC has done nothing so it is yet to even enter the realm of double standard. Right now all the action is coming from CA and the pressure is coming from the Australian public/former players independent of the ICC. We'll get a clearer picture when the match is over and the match referee goes through the proper channels.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I think they'll suspend him for a period of time and then give him the opportunity to make his way back into the team and earn back some of the respect which he lost, I don't think he will ever be captain again

This is the most likely outcome. He won't play in the next test, and then Australia have quite a gap until their next test series. Missing ODI's is no biggie. He'll be back in the team for the Australian summer, but agree he'll never be captain again.

stryker

First Grade
Yep...and I watched the underarm incident and still cheered Chappell through the rest of his career.

You get over it dude.

It's just cricket.

And yeah everyone's doing it.
You are a god damned moron. Grow the hell up.