What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations game 4 - England v Australia

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Yes the call for the Tom Briscoe was incorrect, but it made up for the forward pass just seconds before that the touchie missed.

As for the Williams high shot......it was not even close to a red card...it bounced off the top of the shoulder....in saying that....he will get one week (lucky for the Welsh!).

Still think Australia have already won this comp....England don’t know how to build pressure......the kick for line at the 20 metre tap is evidence of this...

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
England frustrate the shite out of me. I honestly don't believe that they are that far away and the difference in the two teams isn't that great. They just continue to make small and basic errors that lead to points, or a failure to score points, at critical stages like when they are actually in control of the game.

They also aren't going to help themselves by constantly changing their 1, 6, 7 and 9. If Tomkins, Sinfield, Chase and Roby are it than they need to persevere. The major advantage that Australia has over other nations is not necessarily that they have far superior players, but that they have an Origin series that allows these guys to come together, train and play for an extra 3 weeks per year on top of Test matches. This is why we see New Zealand beat Australia at the end of tournaments, but never the start or mid-season.

All-in-all it was an enjoyable Test match though.

westie

Bench
England frustrate the shite out of me. I honestly don't believe that they are that far away and the difference in the two teams isn't that great. They just continue to make small and basic errors that lead to points, or a failure to score points, at critical stages like when they are actually in control of the game.

They also aren't going to help themselves by constantly changing their 1, 6, 7 and 9. If Tomkins, Sinfield, Chase and Roby are it than they need to persevere. The major advantage that Australia has over other nations is not necessarily that they have far superior players, but that they have an Origin series that allows these guys to come together, train and play for an extra 3 weeks per year on top of Test matches. This is why we see New Zealand beat Australia at the end of tournaments, but never the start or mid-season.

All-in-all it was an enjoyable Test match though.

It was literally just that Origin style composure and intensity that let them down. They kept coming for 80, which I've never seen before. Not having Graham and Ellis, with Peacock on one leg definitely didn't help.

If they could play at a proper intensity for longer periods you'd have an even match every time.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
England where robbed and the best side lost on the day. At least Mr Sheens got his way for the day with the pressure he put on the referee, disgusting individual is sheens.

Ref cost England the game and i hope to god England smash the kiwis and then beat the kangaroos without their precious slater in the final. Williams should have been sent off and that ridiculous "on report" system has to go after the latest bumbling use of it.

Spitty

Juniors
What a great game. England really ambushed Australia with some great intencity and had a few more calls gone they're way, we may have had a really exciting last 10 minutes.

I know the RLIF want neutral ref's, but how Henry Perenara can get an international match of such high importance when he's only referee'd a hand full of NRL games (of which he was the junior referee of the two ref's) is beyond me.

Not sure how close England are to Australia in real terms, or whether they just played an extra 10-20% better last night because of the occassion. But the true sign of whether they're bridging the gap comes in the next few weeks. If they can maintain that standard of play,next week against NZ and then possibly into the final then they're in with a real chance.

NZ will be a tough proposition though. They're tournament normally doesn't start until the games are sudden death and they're likely to be a very different team next week than what we've seen so far.

WJ

Juniors
We put up with so much sh*t from you convicts it's not even funny.

Aussie official pre-emptively whines about the referee, they manage to get one in the pay of the NRL, he basically cheats us, there is unfortunately no other word for it, and any dissention on this is "whingeing" even if you point out just how much he got wrong and the double standards shown to both teams.

He bottled several big decisions in the favour of the kangaroos today. Disallowed a perfectly good try, which would have put them on the ropes, let a player stay on the field for a horrible swinging arm, penalised us for lying on and then allowed the aussies to do it repeatedly, there were far far too many decisions going against us to call this one nerves.

It's getting quite incredible now what we put up with. Year on year. Then we have to listen to these merkins disrespecting us, bagging us off, talking about how we're light years behind and our competition is a joke. No more of this, it is completely unacceptable.

I often qualify that we were beaten by the better side but today? Were we? If decisions went our way which should have the game could easily have gone either way. It's just getting so boring watching this happen year on year.

You can all go f*ck yourselves.

Goddo

Bench
Good game.

After seeing that I think even more that Tomkins needs a stint at an NRL club - has the natural ability, but his positioning could be a bit better. He was comming off the line more than anyone else for that first Australia try - if he had hung back in position more he would have got across to the wing faster, probably stopping that try.

Widdop seemed wasted, seemed lost in his role in the squad. They should not have been using Sinfield at 5/8 when they have someone of Widdops ability available. Chase was better at 7.

English outside backs were good, both wingers and centres were great. Forward pack was ok. A few too many errors though.

Very promissing signs for the POMEs though - if they stick at it they will be a real threat come the World Cup.

Last edited:

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Henry showed he was out of his depth. The RLIF should of given control to an English referee as spite for the way Tim Sheens carried on last week. The way our national players and coaches conduct themselves as though they are above the game is why I haven't cheered Australia in a Test for a decade and won't be any time soon.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Henry showed he was out of his depth. The RLIF should of given control to an English referee as spite for the way Tim Sheens carried on last week. The way our national players and coaches conduct themselves as though they are above the game is why I haven't cheered Australia in a Test for a decade and won't be any time soon.

Dam right and i hope they do it for the next meeting

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We put up with so much sh*t from you convicts it's not even funny.
Aussie official pre-emptively whines about the referee, they manage to get one in the pay of the NRL, he basically cheats us, there is unfortunately no other word for it, and any dissention on this is "whingeing" even if you point out just how much he got wrong and the double standards shown to both teams.
He bottled several big decisions in the favour of the kangaroos today. Disallowed a perfectly good try, which would have put them on the ropes, let a player stay on the field for a horrible swinging arm, penalised us for lying on and then allowed the aussies to do it repeatedly, there were far far too many decisions going against us to call this one nerves.
It's getting quite incredible now what we put up with. Year on year. Then we have to listen to these merkins disrespecting us, bagging us off, talking about how we're light years behind and our competition is a joke. No more of this, it is completely unacceptable.
I often qualify that we were beaten by the better side but today? Were we? If decisions went our way which should have the game could easily have gone either way. It's just getting so boring watching this happen year on year.

You can all go f*ck yourselves.

:lol:

mxlegend99

Referee
LMFAO at the people trying to blame the referee. That disallowed try should never have been awarded. The only reason England were in that position is because of a missed forward pass. You can't claim the referee screwed you over there, because you were only in that position because of a missed call. Whether he got that call right or not, just moments before that there was a missed call that put you in that position.

It's funny that the calls in your favor are overlooked, and when they even out you bitch about the referee. He made mistakes both ways. He wasn't being biased or trying to rip a team off. For the most part it evens out.

adamkungl

Immortal
The way our national players and coaches conduct themselves as though they are above the game is why I haven't cheered Australia in a Test for a decade and won't be any time soon.

Sometimes there is very little respect shown for the game by Australian coaches. When we have the majority of the talent and win the majority of the time it's pretty hard to justify bitching about referees. After a win.

RedVee

First Grade
Very good game.
The ref was pretty ok except for the major mistake of not going upstairs on the Briscoe 'try'.

I don't think that England were the better team, though they were very good and competitive. Some of their ball movement was excellent. I would have liked to have seen this match with England finishing with a full complement on the bench.

Tomkins would make a good replacement for Boyd at SGI, c'mon Dousty open the wallet!

I hope we can get a good idea on the injury situation, can players be brought in from outside the squad?

PS. Was Heighnny brought in to stiffen the English defence?

Special K

Coach
Heighington has proved why he he isn't a rep player in this series. Good club player but useless at this level. That T-Rex bump off was lol worthy....

The kiwis should pump england.

Raiderdave

First Grade
high quality international
spoiled a bit by the referee as he made some poor calls that may have had a bearing on the result.

may have

the English lost it not because of the bad double movement call or the non sending off of Tony Williams .. but because they didn't capitalise on their early domination of he ball & territory
they didn't do enough on the scoreboard when the opportunities were there.
they looked very good early on & caught the Aussies on the hop so to speak
but the scoreboard is all that counts & they didn't do enough here early on.
Strangely the Australian defence didn't really improve too much , & the English can't expect that latitude again should they beat the Kiwis
which I think but they're going to need to take all opportunities on offer & these 2 teams meet again in the final.

the poms have got a bolter in their young Fullback Tomkins ... hes a superstar in the making & reminds me alot of the Raiders young custodian Josh Dugan

it all comes down to Benji & the Kiwis for England now , should be another high quality game
Poms by 2...........

thommo4pm

Coach
Cracking game of footy. Good to see England go for the full 80 minutes.

If they held on to the Ball a few more times the game could have been a lot different. It was only 6 tries to 4, not a belting at all. Thurston's goal kicking was crucial.

Aust v England final would be sensational, and will have a big build up (should it end up that way). Nothing against the Kiwis, but for the good of the game Internationally, I'd love to see England make the final.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Packer copped Lockyer with a nothing challenge the other week and all the Aussies were crying about it.

yeah cocked elbows to the jaw are now legal :roll:

Yes the call for the Tom Briscoe was incorrect, but it made up for the forward pass just seconds before that the touchie missed..

thats what gets me is the commenattors (and officials) missed soemthing so blatently forward. if it had been called we wouldnt even be discussing the "double movement". Perenara did err in not at elast gooing to the video ref

I know the RLIF want neutral ref's, but how Henry Perenara can get an international match of such high importance when he's only referee'd a hand full of NRL games (of which he was the junior referee of the two ref's) is beyond me.

personally i think this neutral refs thing is crap. get the best refs available for the job and use them. I dont care if that means we use english refs, kiwi refs or aussie refs. there isnt enough depth to use "neutral" refs and we inevitably end up with a ref out of their depth.

perenara didnt cost the poms the game, australia were better and made the most of their opportunities. it was a great effort from the english though and i'd love to see a rematch. prob is with all their injuries the kiwi's may get them next week

also interetsing that thruston and lockyer had quiet games, the team actually klooked more dangerous when cronk was on with them. England played well but Australia didnt play all that well and they can go up quite a few gears as well

TommyGun

Juniors
LMFAO at the people trying to blame the referee. That disallowed try should never have been awarded. The only reason England were in that position is because of a missed forward pass. You can't claim the referee screwed you over there, because you were only in that position because of a missed call. Whether he got that call right or not, just moments before that there was a missed call that put you in that position.

It's funny that the calls in your favor are overlooked, and when they even out you bitch about the referee. He made mistakes both ways. He wasn't being biased or trying to rip a team off. For the most part it evens out.

Funny how the commentators never mentioned that.
England played well by there standards but I have never seen an Australian team miss so many tackles. Keith Galloway and David Shillington basically do nothing at all.
England will struggle against NZ next week