What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations game 4 - England v Australia

Good game, England should be pretty happy with there effort overall but they need to cut out the silly errors the worst one by Rangi kicking away possession the moment they got the ball in the restart. Moments later Australia scores and there further on the back-foot which was unneeded pressure for them. The scoreline would of being even closer if they play a little bit smarter, they show the potential though to be a great team.

roughyedspud

Coach
apparently McNamara has ripped into tim sheens in the press conference for putting too much pressure on the ref in the lead up to the game

Yep they really really destroyed him. As always. :roll:

To be fair, Tomkins hasn't shown much on the international stage before.

I've personally bagged him relentlessly for failing to live up to the hype and being shut down and muted in internationals against quality opposition.

His display tonight, while there's never been doubt he could do it in the SL, was the first time he's followed it through to the international game.

He had a cracking game, seemingly breaking the line at will. The Aussies didn't seem to have an answer. That connection being built on the right edge should be a real worry for NZ.

He's still a grub merkin but he finally forced the doubters - including myself - to eat our words after tonight.

anjado

Juniors
The Referee was poor, But i feel this is more of an indictment on the NRL, i have no idea why until now there hasn't been a New Zealander referring in the NRL let's face it they couldn't do much worse.

In saying this i thought Archer's performance in the first half of last year's tri nations was far far worse. I'm also happy there was a neutral referee as there should be in every international match played.

Chase is no better then Rob Burrow i got no idea why they selected him. England's problem for the past 20 years have been the halves. If they had been able to keep hold of Eastmond, a 1/6/7/9 of Tomkins,Widdop,Eastmond,Roby could of been good enough to beat Australia within the next decade.

If they can find a good halfback from somewhere they should be able to build a decent side.

I thought the Lawrence and Briscoe tries were pretty similar. I think the Williams tackle was similar to the tackle which had Adrian Morley sent off about 5 years ago. But as proven with the George Rose incident in the Grand Final you are never sent off for anything these days.

All in all it was an entertaining game i thought England were superb in the first 20 minutes. But just dumb plays mainly by Rangi Chase and the rub of the green didn't go England's way.

I think all in all a good test match and i hope they go back to Wembley every time it is in England.

I actually think England are in a similar situation to what NSW find themselves in currently. I think the gap between NSW and Queensland compared to England and Australia is all that different.

Commentry is always awful but Gould is worse he is biased as well as not even bothering about the game at hand. Stevo clearly doesn't know what he is talking about but this has always been the case with his insistance that every side should go for the one the pointer every time there is an attack.

The Clan

Juniors
If Ben Westwood had hit Darren Lockyer with a tackle like that of Williams the Ausie management would want him sent off and banned for life.

You thought Williams high shot was similar to Morley's? Are you smoking crack brother?? Morley's infamous high shots was one of the cheapest, most malicious assaults on a field... EVER. Williams was nothing more than a misplaced tackle.

There's no difference between Williams high tackle and say, Segeyaros from a few weeks ago. The only difference is one bloke is a midget and the other bloke is about 260lb

I disagree too. While Chase made a lot of mistakes he was also very active and responsible for much of Englands attack. If he can get rid of the errors and brain snaps his performance would be close to world class.

And the reason you don't get sent off is because the rules of the game are f**king stupid. For a high shot there is no middle ground between being put on report and a red. The rules need changing so that players can be sinbinned for high shots, elbows and what not. You can't blame the refs, blame the rule makers for being idiots.

If Ben Westwood had hit Darren Lockyer with a tackle like that of Williams the Ausie management would want him sent off and banned for life.

Darren Lockyer is Darren Lockyer. That doesn't mean anything. Packer copped Lockyer with a nothing challenge the other week and all the Aussies were crying about it.

Just because the Aussies are sulks doesn't mean we should be. Was clear as day that Westwood milked the tackle for all it was worth, reminded me of Greg Bird

hutch

First Grade
If England learn how to dominate the tackle they will win the four nations. They have no idea about the wrestle, they simply tackle and get up which allows Australia to get the quickest play the balls and get on the front foot.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
If England learn how to dominate the tackle they will win the four nations. They have no idea about the wrestle, they simply tackle and get up which allows Australia to get the quickest play the balls and get on the front foot.

Tim Sheens was one step ahead of you.

anjado

Juniors
You thought Williams high shot was similar to Morley's? Are you smoking crack brother?? Morley's infamous high shots was one of the cheapest, most malicious assaults on a field... EVER. Williams was nothing more than a misplaced tackle.

There's no difference between Williams high tackle and say, Segeyaros from a few weeks ago. The only difference is one bloke is a midget and the other bloke is about 260lb

I disagree too. While Chase made a lot of mistakes he was also very active and responsible for much of Englands attack. If he can get rid of the errors and brain snaps his performance would be close to world class.

And the reason you don't get sent off is because the rules of the game are f**king stupid. For a high shot there is no middle ground between being put on report and a red. The rules need changing so that players can be sinbinned for high shots, elbows and what not. You can't blame the refs, blame the rule makers for being idiots.

Morley's wasn't a cheap shot at all it was a mistimed tackle into a slightly falling player it just looked worse because it was from the kick off so he had 50 metres of momentum before he hit Kearns. Williams tackle was exactly the same only differences being that Williams was only 10 metres away, both were sloppy mistimed tackles and it was as bad as Morley's and honestly more deliberate charging in from 50 metres to hit someone and mistiming it is more understandable than someone performing a similar tackle from 5 metres away.

Well to be honest he sounds like every half England have had since Andy Gregory, i don't really think he brings any more to the table than Widdop or Burrow. He did do some very good things but also had 2-3 unforgivable moments especially the kick for touch it isn't a bad idea but it's an idea you try when you are 18 points down with 10 minutes to go not just before half time.

I think the reason for not sending players off was mainly due to the media's influence, constantly you hear it is unfair 12 against 13. But really if a player does something as bad as say Rose did in the Grand Final they deserve to be a player down and that player sent from the field. The referee's need more balls and to make decisions in regards to send off's and sin bins plenty of professional fouls don't get punished either these days.

I have to disagree, as a Warriors fan even. Rose did not deserve to be expelled from the game. That's why the rules are stupid, what Rose did was a sin bin, but you can't sin bin for that. So refs will always use the report rather than red. I don't think you can blame the refs, blame the rules. The refs would sin bin if they were allowed.

What the refs need is a sin bin, something inbetween report and red.

I disagree too about the Morley high tackle. Imo it was one of the dirtiest, most malicious high shots I've ever seen. I don't believe it was accidental or mistimed, I think it was intentional and pre-meditated.

hitman82

Bench
My thoughts:

-England will beat NZ
-Perenara was competent in the first half, but didn't handle the pressure of the second half.
-England dudded a try which could have seen them compete very strongly.
-Williams bitching about the dirty Kiwis is quite ironic.
-I'd rather have Rangi Chase than Foran.
-Billy Slater being out of the tournament is very unfortunate.

westie

Bench
apparently McNamara has ripped into tim sheens in the press conference for putting too much pressure on the ref in the lead up to the game

This is the story.

Big Mac was furious. Cautious to stress he wasn't blaming the ref for the loss.

Shifty Sheens played it cool and made out like he didn't have anything to do with the pressure that built during the week.

Latest posts