What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

Great finish for a legend. Shame he couldn't finish the game in Australia, i'm sure he'd have traded in his try for a game on home soil.

Well done Australia again. Too well-versed. There's always hopes and half-beliefs of beating Australia, but that games the reason nobody -- with sense, that is -- puts money on England to beat Australia.

gypsy

Bench
Well done on a great career Lockyer. He was no Jamie Soward, but thanks for the memories.

gypsy

Bench
I don't know if you're getting this wrap up back in Aus, but it's really sad.
Stevo and Eddie are basically saying England shouldn't be playing Australia anymore, as they are sick of seeing this.

gypsy

Bench
Hemmings to Stevo:
"You and I will be pushing the daisies up before we beat Australia again"
LOL

beave

Coach
We're not getting the feed anymore, channel 9 went to the 'Today' show the second they could. Hearing Stevo cry would have been worth getting up at sparrows to watch tbe game.

I don't know if you're getting this wrap up back in Aus, but it's really sad.
Stevo and Eddie are basically saying England shouldn't be playing Australia anymore, as they are sick of seeing this.
so am I, I can understand how disappointing it is for them watching Australia dominate for so many years but until they can start sending over some of there young backs who need to improve they will never get anywhere. The forwards pack is already good plus they have guys like the Burgesses in the NRL so there is plenty of depth there. No use for NRL clubs to say lets sign James Roby, he's already a developed player in SL, need to bring over the younger players a big issue is the English defence and mostly the tries are coming on the edges then basically when the forwards are gone England just get lazy. Really embarassing for them and international rugby league, hope they can start realising where they are going wrong and make those wrongs right.

gypsy

Bench
so am I, I can understand how disappointing it is for them watching Australia dominate for so many years but until they can start sending over some of there young backs who need to improve they will never get anywhere. The forwards pack is already good plus they have guys like the Burgesses in the NRL so there is plenty of depth there. No use for NRL clubs to say lets sign James Roby, he's already a developed player in SL, need to bring over the younger players a big issue is the English defence and mostly the tries are coming on the edges then basically when the forwards are gone England just get lazy. Really embarassing for them and international rugby league, hope they can start realising where they are going wrong and make those wrongs right.

A lot of the answers are here. The RFL need to do more to promote the game outside of the same few cities. They have made a token effort at London and other centres, but seeing the Harlequins (now broncos) or Crusaders (now extinct) dwindling at the bottom of the table does nothing to drum up interest in those areas.
They need to grow the game here, get more people interested. Rugby League players over here are known as failed footballers (soccer). The first step is to get kids at school playing Rugby League.
The RFL and Sky fail majorly at this. Showing 2 x games a week on TV, free and pay, is absolute rubbish. No advertising, dated coverage with dinosaur commentators with 1970's opinions. The RFL need to grab young peoples attention, as long as they do nothing, kids will continue to play football instead.
The talent is there, there are some wonderfully talented athletes in this country, but RL is almost a catchment for failed footballers IMO.

gypsy

Bench
sending a bunch of players to Australia doesn't address the problem, it's a temporary fix....and isn't sustainable. The game has to improve here, for the long term health of the sport in this country, and the only way for it to improve, is to get more people interested. Simple.