What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

WireMan

Bench
No, Wilkin deserves his place if Ellis returns.
I watched the NZ game again today and Heighnington was totally ineffective, his first up defence was weak and offered zero in attack so he should be dropped, he won't be though.

On the other hand, Wilkin is finally showing he is a quality player at test level and he played 80 minutes as well.
Heighnington didn't play long v NZ but still looked knackered out there.

Yeah thats fair enough, i forgot about Heighington (prob sums up his performance).

whoops. :D

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I'd like to see the poms win, but this is lockys last game and he's a winner. The team will want to send him out a winner too.

Hes bloody well won enough, he can go quietly into retirement already. And he better not get MOTM for a nothing performance, but some gesture/recognition from the RFL would be good.

In all seriousness spud what have you got against Heighington? He has been very solid so far and i cant remember any errors or lapses to be concerned about. Doesnt do anything spectacular with the ball but is good in defence. Definite starter and 80 minute player IMO.

My England team, pretty much as is

Tomkins, Briscoe, Yeaman, Reed, Hall, Sinfield, Chase, Graham, Roby, Peacock, Ellis, Westwood, Heighington

Carvell
Widdop (Bring on for a forward at some point, shift Sinfield to 13 and rotate Heighington into 2nd row)
Wilkin
Morley

JJB dropped in favour of Carvells size, he can really put a dent in the line that bloke.

What strikes me is that i no longer look at the backs and think "shit backs".

The bloody unfortunate thing for me is after getting up for every game so far, i will likely miss the live coverage of the final. Will more than likley be passed out somehwhere on the mid north coast when its on.

typicalfan

Coach
Hes bloody well won enough, he can go quietly into retirement already. And he better not get MOTM for a nothing performance, but some gesture/recognition from the RFL would be good.

In all seriousness spud what have you got against Heighington? He has been very solid so far and i cant remember any errors or lapses to be concerned about. Doesnt do anything spectacular with the ball but is good in defence. Definite starter and 80 minute player IMO.

My England team, pretty much as is

Tomkins, Briscoe, Yeaman, Reed, Hall, Sinfield, Chase, Graham, Roby, Peacock, Ellis, Westwood, Heighington

Carvell
Widdop (Bring on for a forward at some point, shift Sinfield to 13 and rotate Heighington into 2nd row)
Wilkin
Morley

JJB dropped in favour of Carvells size, he can really put a dent in the line that bloke.

What strikes me is that i no longer look at the backs and think "shit backs".

The bloody unfortunate thing for me is after getting up for every game so far, i will likely miss the live coverage of the final. Will more than likley be passed out somehwhere on the mid north coast when its on.
Did you see the Tony Williams try?

The Clan

Juniors
My worries surround the fact that Greg Inglis has now had 180 minutes of Test football and started to run from deep, picking out holes in the defence and looking a little like the player we all know he can be.

If he's marginally better against us than he was against Wales he'll be hard to handle and will give Australia another dimension.

Jack Reed can't fly out of the line trying to shut the playmakers down he's got to remain disciplined in defence and sweat on Inglis for the full 80. Likewise Hall has to stay out wide and not get sucked into help Reed cover Inglis because GI is certainly good enough to take advantage and put Yow Yeah or Uate (whichever) into the space Hall vacates.

I'd expect Ellis to line up on England's right side giving Reed and Hall some physicality to help contend with Inglis.

I've no doubt that Sheens will be working on how to get Inglis into the game as often as possible and if we can shut him down effectively it will take a large part of Australia's attacking game away.

Australia know that we know this and will also be working on Thaiday taking advantage of our focus on Inglis down our right side by running him constantly down our left. I hope McNamara is clever enough to know that the Ausies will have studied our defensive system and will be running plays that can beat it. SM needs to out think Sheens here and outmanoeuvre his opposite number by defending differently to counter Sheens changes.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
My worries surround the fact that Greg Inglis has now had 180 minutes of Test football and started to run from deep, picking out holes in the defence and looking a little like the player we all know he can be.

If he's marginally better against us than he was against Wales he'll be hard to handle and will give Australia another dimension.

Jack Reed can't fly out of the line trying to shut the playmakers down he's got to remain disciplined in defence and sweat on Inglis for the full 80. Likewise Hall has to stay out wide and not get sucked into help Reed cover Inglis because GI is certainly good enough to take advantage and put Yow Yeah or Uate (whichever) into the space Hall vacates.

I'd expect Ellis to line up on England's right side giving Reed and Hall some physicality to help contend with Inglis.

I've no doubt that Sheens will be working on how to get Inglis into the game as often as possible and if we can shut him down effectively it will take a large part of Australia's attacking game away.

Australia know that we know this and will also be working on Thaiday taking advantage of our focus on Inglis down our right side by running him constantly down our left. I hope McNamara is clever enough to know that the Ausies will have studied our defensive system and will be running plays that can beat it. SM needs to out think Sheens here and outmanoeuvre his opposite number by defending differently to counter Sheens changes.

We will have Westwood on the opposite side to Ellis so Thaiday can be countered. With the second row and centres we have size and physicality should not be a problem. We need to really attack the Aus left side, make Inglis to some defending. That will tire him out blunting his attack.

The big issue is can we be diciplined for the full 80. I'd like to think so. We were against NZ so i can't see why we can't against Aus.

oval

Juniors
A little off topic, but geez it would be good to see more NRL v SL club games.

Imagine if the top 6 clubs of each comp played each other twice, once in each country... Never gonna happen, but I'd love to see Leeds or St Helens or whoever come to Brookvale some time...

Anyway, here's hoping for a good game.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Im not a massive fan of Wilkin at this level in the 2nd row. Especially running on the left edge. How many times against the kiwis did he get the ball with 2 or 3 guys outside him just to step off his left foot and come straight back into traffic. It annoyed me to the max.

JJB cant really be dropped either. His work rate is phenomenal and makes up for his smaller frame with his speed and determination. You rarely see him get knocked back and he's always a threat if half a gap opens up in front of him.

Heighington has looked out of his depth though IMO so far. He is continually getting bumped off tackles and isnt offering anything going forward. He's not the biggest of blokes and doesnt have the same speed and drive that JJB has.

Also, whats the point in having Widdop in? Seriously! If the game is in the balance then he isnt going to get on just like against the Kiwis. Hes a wasted bench spot for me in the current system. I dont mind having him there but unless Roby needs a break how does he get more than 5 minutes at the end of a game?

Id go,

Tomkins
Hall
Reed
Yeaman
Briscoe
Sinfield
Chase
Graham
Roby
Peacock
Ellis
Westwood
Wilkin

Carvell
Morley
JJB
.....?

deluded pom?

Coach

We have a winner. Every one of the other games has had a neutral ref so they decide on an Australian for the final. :roll: Cecchin is on a hiding to nothing. There'll be whinging left right and centre whoever wins. For those who want the best ref rather than a neutral one I ask is Matt Cecchin the best ref on the panel? Has the Frog been kidnapped? Instead of people focussing on the players they'll be dissecting the ref's performance.

FearTheVee

Juniors
Ceccin's in England's back pocket so this is actually good for them.

If Ceccin was in England's back pocket we would have been running in 50 points against 12 Kiwis last weekend (and 11 Kiwis for 10 minutes).

NZ would have got truly mullered had a strong ref been in the middle.

Similar story with the NZ mug at Wembley - Aus should have been down to 12 too. Can't blame him too much though, I hear he's just an NRL touch judge who refs every now and then. Figures.

All 3 players picked up bans for incidents the ref saw perfectly clearly and called at the time.

Last edited:
Please tell me who deserved to get sent off in the last game?

I'll be interested to see what you say as it will show how much of a soft-c**k you are.

This is test match footy FFS.