What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

adamkungl

Immortal
If you can get hold of it, there's a great behind the scenes doco for that entire tour; "League of their own 2 - warriors down under"

That game in Sydney, Fielden not knowing what his name was, JP hating everything Australian and Sean Long being a drunken gypsy (tho he did win that game in Sydney for GB) particular highlights. It was that same tour Leon Pryce upset you lot by saying he preferred blackpool to bondi. Good viewing. Shame they stopped filming them when Nobby resigned

:lol: Leon Pryce. I remember that. Good year for the tri nations.

league13

Juniors
Raiderdave
user_offline.gif

Juniors
rank1.gif

icon1.gif
Re: 4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS
Quote:

Disgraceful if Elland Road's capacity has been reduced to 33K
& they can't even sell that out :?

should not be a spare seat left .....:x

Things are quite tight financialy in that part of the world.Lots would like to attend but cannot.
If the game was being played in Sydney,Redfearn Oval would be big enough for the game so the gate at Elland Road,Leeds is quite good considering.

Joker's Wild

Coach
If you can get hold of it, there's a great behind the scenes doco for that entire tour; "League of their own 2 - warriors down under"

That game in Sydney, Fielden not knowing what his name was, JP hating everything Australian and Sean Long being a drunken gypsy (tho he did win that game in Sydney for GB) particular highlights. It was that same tour Leon Pryce upset you lot by saying he preferred blackpool to bondi. Good viewing. Shame they stopped filming them when Nobby resigned

lol I remember that. Excellent troll

Joker's Wild

Coach
LeedsStorm said:
No troll intended. It was highly amusing for anyone who doesn't read shoddy sensationalistic journalism. Good player on his day Leon - shame he lost all those grand finals and decided to play in france

I meant Leon was the troll, not you champ ;-)

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiderdave
user_offline.gif

Juniors
rank1.gif

icon1.gif
Re: 4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS
Quote:

Disgraceful if Elland Road's capacity has been reduced to 33K
& they can't even sell that out

should not be a spare seat left .....

Things are quite tight financialy in that part of the world.Lots would like to attend but cannot.
If the game was being played in Sydney,Redfearn Oval would be big enough for the game so the gate at Elland Road,Leeds is quite good considering.

Rubbish :roll:
a final involving the old enemy ( playing well like this side is ) would attract 40K minimum in Sydney

a sellout should be the minimum expected certainly if the grounds capacity has been reduced to 33K

Coastbloke

Bench

roughyedspud

Coach
and i'm not that bothered about cecchin either.....and this england side don't seem to bothered,this self belief drive they've been on looks like its taught them than if they are gonna do it they have to do it the aussie way

Desert Qlder

First Grade
fmd that game in 06 was embarrassing, Hornby is the biggest nuffy to put on the green and gold in the last 5 years.

I've argued the same thing on this forum only to be told I'm a one-eyed Queenslander and how dare I question Hornby's selection.

Fact is, it remains one of the great disgraces ever made of the Australian Jersey, and we have one Ricky Stuart to thank. No real surprise on that account.

Coastbloke

Bench
and i'm not that bothered about cecchin either.....and this england side don't seem to bothered,this self belief drive they've been on looks like its taught them than if they are gonna do it they have to do it the aussie way

I really just can't fathom this..

For the sake of the credibility of the game as a whole, a neutral Referee is a must..

Our direct competitors have neutral Refs. So should rugby league..

It should have been the Kiwi or Thierry Albert..The RFL should be training refs at a International level from France etc and the ARL / NRL should be bringing in Kiwi, PNG and Pacific Island Refs to reach the next level..

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Rubbish :roll:
a final involving the old enemy ( playing well like this side is ) would attract 40K minimum in Sydney

a sellout should be the minimum expected certainly if the grounds capacity has been reduced to 33K

Speaking of which, its long overdue a test match against NZ or England. When was the last one? Certainly long before i arrived

undertaker

Coach
Interesting that the Wembley Test got 42,000 and apparently the round ball match this week at the same ground got 49,000..

Only a 7000 difference between a supposed ''Northern game'' against the (wank wank) global game..

I agree with the Elland Road joke..CoM would have been a superior choice if it was available..

Yes, it does put things into perspective when you consider that the "world game", which stands head and shoulders above all others in the UK (in terms of publicity), only drew 7000 more....Actually, it's less than 7000 (48,876 at the England/Sweden game, 42 thousand something at the RL). Apparently, it was the lowest crowd for an England international match since the new Wembley opened. It was also the first time England beat Sweden in 43 years, yet they were lucky to get just over 50% capacity.

And yes, I agree that the final should have been held at City of Manchester Stadium. In fact, besides Wembley, this is the other ground that I've love to see England/Australia test matches played at in the future (since Sir Alex will probably be the tightarse that he is and limit Old Trafford to its one RL match a year - that being the SL grand final. As I much as I'd love to see a test played there, I don't see any international RL played at Old Trafford in the near future whilst Sir Alex is at the helm). With a capacity of 47,805, I think with proper promotion, this coming week's match could've approximately 40,000 (it got 38,000 when we played there in 2004), which is a success in my books.

roughyedspud

Coach
I really just can't fathom this..

For the sake of the credibility of the game as a whole, a neutral Referee is a must..

Our direct competitors have neutral Refs. So should rugby league..

It should have been the Kiwi or Thierry Albert..The RFL should be training refs at a International level from France etc and the ARL / NRL should be bringing in Kiwi, PNG and Pacific Island Refs to reach the next level..

absolutely 100% agree...in fact the RFL have pushed thierry alibert for this very purpose...hence him reffing the WCC this year

WireMan

Bench
Yes, it does put things into perspective when you consider that the "world game", which stands head and shoulders above all others in the UK (in terms of publicity), only drew 7000 more....Actually, it's less than 7000 (48,876 at the England/Sweden game, 42 thousand something at the RL). Apparently, it was the lowest crowd for an England international match since the new Wembley opened. It was also the first time England beat Sweden in 43 years, yet they were lucky to get just over 50% capacity.

And yes, I agree that the final should have been held at City of Manchester Stadium. In fact, besides Wembley, this is the other ground that I've love to see England/Australia test matches played at in the future (since Sir Alex will probably be the tightarse that he is and limit Old Trafford to its one RL match a year - that being the SL grand final. As I much as I'd love to see a test played there, I don't see any international RL played at Old Trafford in the near future whilst Sir Alex is at the helm). With a capacity of 47,805, I think with proper promotion, this coming week's match could've approximately 40,000 (it got 38,000 when we played there in 2004), which is a success in my books.

Not sure whay you think that about Sir Alex. Of course United wouldn't mind. Its good money. If he didn't want rugby played there, it wouldn't be.

OT is to big for an international game at the mo. 76,000 is a hell of a leap from the 33,000 we are looking at for this final or the 40,000 you would want at the COMS.

Coastbloke

Bench
Not sure whay you think that about Sir Alex. Of course United wouldn't mind. Its good money. If he didn't want rugby played there, it wouldn't be.

OT is to big for an international game at the mo. 76,000 is a hell of a leap from the 33,000 we are looking at for this final or the 40,000 you would want at the COMS.

I'd say that game at Wembley a couple of weeks ago is AS GOOD if not better a spectacle than any other sport and was deserving of 78,000..

It's the RLIF's job to sell it..

The product is there..