What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

Scubby

Juniors
just seen on twitter.......

eng,aus & NZ got to vote on who was ref for the final.....england lost 2-1

FFS - it is a 4 Nations and only 3 of them got to vote! It should've gone to lockdown and a sing off :sarcasm:

What are competing countries voting on Final referees anyway? What is the RLIF there for?

hutch

First Grade
The big 3 making the rules, the more things change, the more they stay the same :x

Which junket they be on next year me thinks.

Pretty sure the big 3 share all of the profits as well, Wales get their money from their gate takings!

roughyedspud

Coach
http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/23979/elland-road-to-be-red

The last night of the 2011 Gillette Four Nations is set to fuse with the last night of the proms when an expected capacity crowd will get behind England by singing ‘Land of Hope and Glory’ when they take to the field against perennial rivals Australia in the tournament decider at Elland Road, Leeds this Saturday, November 19 (6.00pm).

Tickets for the Four Nations final have been in hot demand since England secured their place in the final by defeating New Zealand 28-6 last weekend and the RFL are urging fans to show their true colours by waving one of 30,000 freely distributed St George flags when the teams take to the field on Saturday.

“Having a large home crowd can have a massive influence on the players,” said England coach Steve McNamara. “It’s hugely important for us to have a big support, as it can prove to be the difference in close games.

“The England fans have been terrific so far during the past three weeks, coming out in force to support us at Leigh, Wembley and Hull and we know they’ll be in good voice again as they get behind the side this weekend in Leeds.

“A lot has been said about the history between the two teams and about how long it has been since England won a major trophy but that’s not something that anyone in camp is concerned about.

“We’re focused on doing a job on the pitch on Saturday and the players are determined to play their part in delivering a victory that everyone in England is hoping for.”

nadera78

Juniors
Pretty sure the big 3 share all of the profits as well, Wales get their money from their gate takings!

IIRC the 4th nation gets paid a fee for taking part in the competition, with the profits being divvied up between the big.

It should be that all four nations get a fee for taking part, a sizeable one of course, and the profits go to the RLIF. But we all know that will never happen. TV rights (for the 4Nations and RLWC) should be owned by the RLIF as well.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
and in other news both coaches ahve named 21 man squads....

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ur-nations-final/story-fn488j1c-1226198474506

Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens and England coach Steve McNamara name squads for Four Nations final

• By Ian McCullough
  • AAP
  • November 18, 2011 6:46AM
Sheens has included every fit member of his squad for the game, but it's believed Jharal Yow Yeh has the upper hand in the battle for the right-wing spot ahead of Josh Morris.
It is likely to be the only change to the side that started against England in the 36-20 win at Wembley two weeks ago.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

England backrower Gareth Ellis has fully recovered from the back spasm that ruled him out of the win over New Zealand last week and will start.
"Gareth has trained all week very well, and we are very confident he will be fit to play," McNamara said.
The return of Ellis could lead to heartbreak for his Wests Tigers teammate Chris Heighington who could be the man to miss out.
Heighington has been involved in all three of England's games, but was overshadowed by Jon Wilkin's performance against the Kiwis.
Wilkin played the full 80 minutes as Ellis's replacement at the KC Stadium and was very impressive.
Speculation is rife among the English media that he could get the nod to start in the final over Heighington.
England: Sam Tomkins, Ryan Hall, Jack Reed, Karl Yeaman, Tom Briscoe, Kevin Sinfield, Rangi Chase, Danny McGuire, Gareth Widdop, James Graham, Garreth Carvell, James Roby, Jamie Peacock (capt), Adrian Morley, Ryan Bailey, Jon Wilkin, Ben Westwood, Gareth Ellis, Chris Heighington, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Carl Ablett. (four to be omitted).
Australia: Darius Boyd, Jharal Yow Yeh, Greg Inglis, Chris Lawrence, Akuila Uate, Darren Lockyer (capt), Johnathan Thurston, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday, Luke Lewis, Anthony Watmough, Tony Williams, David Shillington, Keith Galloway, Cooper Cronk, Beau Scott, Daly Cherry-Evans, Josh Morris, Corey Parker.
Referee: Matt Cecchin (Australia)
</DIV>

Magpie Nick

Juniors
It's highly unlikely to happen but for England's sake I hope Sinfield is moved to hooker. His form previously at hooker for England has been better than what his current for at 5/8 is and he also stifles them a bit, but his organisation, kicking and leadership are still crucial for the team. It's just unfortunate that they've got to give Roby time as well.

There's a good outline of why Sinfield doesn't help England in the halves as much as he does at hooker here: http://me.lt/773Po

LeedsStorm

Juniors
It's highly unlikely to happen but for England's sake I hope Sinfield is moved to hooker. His form previously at hooker for England has been better than what his current for at 5/8 is and he also stifles them a bit, but his organisation, kicking and leadership are still crucial for the team. It's just unfortunate that they've got to give Roby time as well.

There's a good outline of why Sinfield doesn't help England in the halves as much as he does at hooker here:

Not sure Jon Wells will be worried about those assessment skills! A rather one-eyed criticism of a man of the match performance. I'm a big fan of Widdop, but I personally wouldn't even have him on the bench. The pack need to dominate and Wilkin, JJB, Ellis, Carvell have all put their hand up for selection. Sinfield and Chase is a good combination. Playing sinfield at hooker is bonkers and history has shown that it doesn't work, in my opinion. Roby has shown he can play a full 80 and make a significant contribution. Whatever the selection, i can't remember the last time an England v Australia game was so keenly anticipated. Game on!

adamkungl

Immortal
IIRC the 4th nation gets paid a fee for taking part in the competition, with the profits being divvied up between the big.

It should be that all four nations get a fee for taking part, a sizeable one of course, and the profits go to the RLIF. But we all know that will never happen. TV rights (for the 4Nations and RLWC) should be owned by the RLIF as well.

That would be nice if the RLIF could actually stump up the cash to put the tournament on. The entire structure of RL at an international level needs to change before this is a viable option.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Not sure Jon Wells will be worried about those assessment skills! A rather one-eyed criticism of a man of the match performance. I'm a big fan of Widdop, but I personally wouldn't even have him on the bench. The pack need to dominate and Wilkin, JJB, Ellis, Carvell have all put their hand up for selection. Sinfield and Chase is a good combination. Playing sinfield at hooker is bonkers and history has shown that it doesn't work, in my opinion. Roby has shown he can play a full 80 and make a significant contribution. Whatever the selection, i can't remember the last time an England v Australia game was so keenly anticipated. Game on!

I think you're missing the article for what it is. While it does criticise Sinfield it's only his option taking, which is clearly wrong at times, the pictures in the article show that, it also praises Sinfield as a major part in them winning the game thanks to his organisation and kicking. Sinfield's form at hooker for England since '09 has been far and away his best International form.

Widdop has come under the microscope a fair bit for playing fairly simple, but it's that simple style that is allowing everyone else to play their game and do it to the point that they can challenge Australia. In every game that Widdop has come on and Sinfield has moved to hooker there has been almost instant impact because of, if anything, Sinfield's influence at hooker. He takes the wrong option too much in the halves but at hooker he gets it right and the rest of the team gets it right.

If you're want of Widdop to not be on the bench is to get another big bopper in the team to dominate Australia I'm not sure it's entirely warranted. England in the past and certainly this tournament have pushed, if not dominated, forward packs. Australia run over them late because they take the right option when it's there almost every time. England won't be able to take the wrong options against Australia like they did against New Zealand and come away with it, but they'll certainly more than hold their own up front even with only three forwards on the bench.

Wilkin, Ellis, JJB and Carvell could and should all play. Heighington offers little, especially at International level, and should make way for those four to be included in the team (plus another). The only reason Sinfield shouldn't be at hooker is Roby but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
I think you're missing the article for what it is. While it does criticise Sinfield it's only his option taking, which is clearly wrong at times, the pictures in the article show that, it also praises Sinfield as a major part in them winning the game thanks to his organisation and kicking. Sinfield's form at hooker for England since '09 has been far and away his best International form.

Widdop has come under the microscope a fair bit for playing fairly simple, but it's that simple style that is allowing everyone else to play their game and do it to the point that they can challenge Australia. In every game that Widdop has come on and Sinfield has moved to hooker there has been almost instant impact because of, if anything, Sinfield's influence at hooker. He takes the wrong option too much in the halves but at hooker he gets it right and the rest of the team gets it right.

If you're want of Widdop to not be on the bench is to get another big bopper in the team to dominate Australia I'm not sure it's entirely warranted. England in the past and certainly this tournament have pushed, if not dominated, forward packs. Australia run over them late because they take the right option when it's there almost every time. England won't be able to take the wrong options against Australia like they did against New Zealand and come away with it, but they'll certainly more than hold their own up front even with only three forwards on the bench.

Wilkin, Ellis, JJB and Carvell could and should all play. Heighington offers little, especially at International level, and should make way for those four to be included in the team (plus another). The only reason Sinfield shouldn't be at hooker is Roby but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Fair enough. Still need to be convinced Sinfield is an option at hooker. If they do take the plunge (and its a huge risk IMO) on Widdop to start at 5/8, surely Sinfield will play in his preferred position at Loose Forward, inplace of CH? I would also argue this year is Sinfield's best form of his international career. The only worry for me would be fatigue. He will play his 42nd game on saturday. Astonishing for a modern day league player.

Roby's stats this year are freakish. The guy made 5000 metres this season, and over 1100 tackles. He's no longer an impact player - he's shown throughout he can play 80

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'd agree with that. Hall has been good too. As much as I despise some of the English posters on here I kinda hope they get up to win to throw it in the faces of those Aus fans who don't even follow International Rugby League and are arrogant as f**k.

Latest posts