What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40/20 Rule

Timbo

Staff member
Can anyone tell me what season it came in?

I seem to recall Daley kicking one during his last home game at Canberra. I know it was a Superleague rule, but I can't remember if it was thrown out of the game then brought back in later.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I'm fairly certain it didn't go out and then come back in

not sure if it was in before SL or if the ARL also had the rule in 1997 tho

Panthers_God

Juniors
Was it Super League that had the rule that if you score then you kick off?
Or did I just make that up?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
tbh I had no idea it had been around that long:oops: I honestly can't remember it at all from the 1997-2000 period.

Meanie

Juniors
I remember in my 1995 Rugby League Almanac in an interview with Bob Fulton he was suggesting they should make the rule. So it likely may have been an ARL innovation.

Earl

Coach
Panthers_God said:
Was it Super League that had the rule that if you score then you kick off?
Or did I just make that up?

Nah Super League did have that rule.

Kicking off after points. Worst rule ever.

*Paul*

Juniors
As mentioned the 40/20 originated in the 97 ARL comp, SL's version of the same concept was the zero tackle after a kick return.

Ghoulies

Bench
Earl said:
Nah Super League did have that rule.

Kicking off after points. Worst rule ever.
I can think of worse....

How about the one where if you bat the ball dead, and you had one foot over the dead-ball line you'd end up getting a 20m restart?

stoodamire

Juniors
I remember in 97 when Craig Field kicked a 40/20 against the Tigers.....

Also Superleague use to have the scoring team kick off.

Scott

Bench
The 40/20 rule is a Peter Sterling brainchild. He had been pushing for it to be a rule in the mid 90's. It was first used in both 97 competitions.

I like the 40-20 rule. Rewards a good kick. Not easy to pull off, as is evidenced by the small number of them that actually happen, but they are a good skill in the game

Munky

Coach
I think the 40/20 punishes good defence.

Sure it takes a good kick but I prefer it when the opposite teams attack is at halfway than behind the 40 these days.

Latest posts