What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 years of St George vs Cronulla?

_Johnsy

Referee
Yobbo

Dont forget to wipe russes ass nice and clean, afterall it could be your turn again next week.

_Johnsy

Referee
So we stop playing as a single entity and the past/history is no longer valid to the 'newly formed club"?

If so, what happened in our country before it was named "australia" is invalid ?

yobbo84

Coach
_Johnsy said:
So we stop playing as a single entity and the past/history is no longer valid to the 'newly formed club"?

If so, what happened in our country before it was named "australia" is invalid ?

You're missing the point. You're club wasn't renamed, it joined with another to create a new club. It's like if Australia and New Zealand joined to form one country "New Australia". Their relevant histories would be retained for each old country, but if "New Australia" were to play England in a test match, it would be their first meeting, not their 100th or whatever.

_Johnsy

Referee
Does the only other club who can match south's for history and tradition worry you?

What is the problem if we remember and include our proud history. Does it affect you or your club in ay way?

At a guess I think you kinda like idea of being "the owners" of rugby league folklore/history/tradition. Unfortunately, we see it differently, as do you.

It does not distort the history, and the relevance of it today of the greatest RL club in the world.

yobbo84

Coach
_Johnsy said:
Does the only other club who can match south's for history and tradition worry you?

What is the problem if we remember and include our proud history. Does it affect you or your club in ay way?

At a guess I think you kinda like idea of being "the owners" of rugby league folklore/history/tradition. Unfortunately, we see it differently, as do you.

It does not distort the history, and the relevance of it today of the greatest RL club in the world.

Look, just answer me this question: was the Wests Tigers win in 2005 their first premiership, or their 16th?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
*Paul* said:
It seems like it could be a press release straight from the desk of some poor old St George tragic who still just doesn't get it, but more likely (as you say) - Dragons, Steelers whatever, who cares, we've got tickets to flog.
Its from a press release from the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The club wants the history and heritage recognised from 1921. The fans must want it too, otherwise why would the NRL go along with the (as you cynically say) 'we've got tickets to flog' line.

Remember, this is the same NRL who started in 1998, and yet they have inherited all the NSWRL, ARL and Super League records as one, dating back to 1908.

People are entitled to their opinion but that doesn't extend to dictating the terms of another team's history and heritage. IMO, the only tragics are those outside of the club who insist on telling another team's supporter how to think.

Southernsaint

Staff member
yobbo84 said:
Look, just answer me this question: was the Wests Tigers win in 2005 their first premiership, or their 16th?

That’s up to Wests Tigers to decide…

I'm not in to telling supporters of other clubs how to follow their team, unlike some.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yobbo84 said:
That's up to the Wests Tigers.

Plenty were calling it number 16.

Bottom line is its a matter for WT to decide and I've got no problem with however they choose to recognise their history.

yobbo84

Coach
Willow said:
That's up to the Wests Tigers.

Plenty were calling it number 16.

Bottom line is its a matter for WT to decide and I've got no problem with however they choose to recognise their history.

In that case then I choose to recognise that Souths have won 22 premierships, because Norths are our feeder club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yobbo84 said:
OK I'll stop being an annoying pr*ck now.
For some reason I don't believe you.
yobbo84 said:
Serious question, why is it that the club thinks only St George's history should count? Do they believe that this new club is just a continuation of St George that Illawarra "bought into"?
The club journal recognises both histories, starting from 1921. This includes players records from St George and Illawarra as well as a total for the premierships since 1921. Its probably best for you to stick to things you know about.

_Johnsy

Referee
Why should someone who has been supporting wests for 30 years not include it as his 16th ?

far be it for a dragons man to tell a magpie how to support/count his teams premierships.

That would be a tad presumptious, don't you think ?

big pat

Coach
_Johnsy said:

to me saints will always be st george because thats what i have grown up with, i have no problem with the illawarra name, most people i know from down south are decent people,the only idenity problem saints have is with the media because its there job to sell themselves & there papers, and guys like wiedler are just stirrers,so what ever your team is called support them with all your might.

_Johnsy

Referee
yobbo84 said:
In that case then I choose to recognise that Souths have won 22 premierships, because Norths are our feeder club.

Good for you, would you like some spakfilla for that massive chip on your shoulder.

yobbo84

Coach
Southernsaint said:
I will tell Cronulla fans how many Premierships they can claim / recognize, though…

Same as St George Illawarra! Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yobbo84 said:
lol. If you like.

Only problem is its a Premier League joint venture so you'd be better off looking at the reserve grade history.

To help you in your research, this from the NSWRL site:
http://www.nswrl.com.au/pl/history.php

Of course, its totally up to you to send the NSWRL any corrections.

yobbo84

Coach
Willow said:
lol. If you like.

Only problem is its a Premier League joint venture so you'd be better off looking at the reserve grade history.

To help you in your research, this from the NSWRL site:
http://www.nswrl.com.au/pl/history.php

Of course, its totally up to you to send the NSWRL any corrections.

My point exactly. Norths are no longer a club in the NRL, therefore we cannot count their competitions. Same goes for St George and Illawarra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You can believe whatever you like Yobbo. But you seem to be getting joint ventures mixed up with relegation.

Latest posts