What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50/50 calls & positives

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Positives
Blake Ferguson - for proving that giving a young bloke a crack does not just happen at the Broncos
Kade Snowden - Living up to his potential
Luke Douglas - Just keeps on doing
Trent Barrett - great kicking, some great defence
Blake Green - not outstanding, but not a liability, good backup half
Troy Caine - Spark there was

Negatives
David Simmons - that has to be the end
Corey Hughes - Looking old
Outside backs (except blake) not working under the current config

chewsta

First Grade
I thought Gallen and Toops were very heavily marked last night.
Barret seemed to want to get the ball to Gal a fair bit but Gal was always surrounded by knights players wether he had the ball or not.

Tony Caine looked threatening everytime he had the ball and moved fast and well came on way too late. Hope to see a lot more of him

I also thought once Dougy and the snowman were taken off our middle third of the field started to open up. Once they came back on we started to make good metres. Snowman impresses me more and more every week he hits hard and loves it! Im sure De-gois is feeling it today.

Millington also had a few strong runs and defended well.

Overall I thought we looked like a team that had a lot of new players thrown in at the last minute to make up the numbers there were no real combinations or anything that could have threatened the knights.

Hats off to the knights they did their homework and tuffed it out.
Ciraldo's leg!!! ERRRGH!

Special mention to Gal for that tackle on Gidley's regather from a kick,
on our tryline under the posts.

macavity

Referee
all the ref's fault, folks.... :lol:

Snowden is finally looking the player he was in flegg for us. still pissed at smithy for punting him.

Inferno

Coach
We were average, but gees we were very unlucky as well.

Snowy is definitely living up to his potential. He's come a long way from headbutting someone in his first game for us, after arriving here already suspended for headbutting.

Off contract this year as well. I'd get him locked up ASAP.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
We played like cats last night night...don't worry about the 50/50 calls that didn't go our way, they wont win us games. We should have no excuses for the way we played last night...if the tables were turned and we were only using 1 sub, the knights would have gave it to us no questions asked.

Did anyone see how our backline was set last night? Like a friggen under 10's team!!!

Redback... a couple of things.

When people say, "I could've won a premiership with the cattle he had.." I cringe. Every time. It is the most over rated comment made by fans of Rugby League. It's akin to cowards yelling, "Get up", "Walk it off" when a player is injured. They're usually the same people who've never been tackled in anger in their lives.

Secondly, when you say "Ask anyone it's easier to coach defence than it is to coach attack", who are these mysterious people you refer to? There is more depth to defensive training than simply hitting tackle bags.

In my opinion, developing a good defensive pattern is incredibly difficult. Particularly for the three-quarters. And I would suggest that it is not as instinctive as attacking and the patterns associated therein.

Changing the topic slightly, was it just me or is Barrett the only back looking to straighten the attack in our backline? He tried his hardest to step and get the backs to straighten but it just wasn't catching on. I could be wrong there but that's certainly what it felt like at the ground. It feels like Barrett is crying out for hole runners and he just isn't finding them. Ferguson looks most likely for mine in that department. Pom is off the pace.

In my opinion, Cain must be given more time too. He has spark, you can sense it.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Spot on Gregos.
Barrett created at least 1/2 dozen holes by cutting back in then in & away. It was beautiful to watch.
it is fantastic to see such positive action & positive play with his 30 touches.
Its going to happen & you can sense it with players like Caine & kearney.
Remember we are still 8 years into not having a half back that is up to speed.

it was a tough game.

the positives are that barrett looked good at points. lets be honest, we were charging down the field and we f**king scored a try and it was taken away. 12 nil up the game would have been different. for a start the Knights wouldn't have had the ball.

Having said that. we dropped enough ball for 2 games. we had no idea in the second half with our chances ad we were ill disciplined on both sides of the ball.

we let in 24 straight points.

it was a poor performance.

newman

First Grade
God I was drunk last night.
Good to be back at the footy.

We are reaping the rewards of idiot players getting suspended, injuries and constant shuffling in the halves. Its going to take a few weeks to sort all this out. We will be right I reckon, but it will be ugly for a while.

Quigs

Immortal
There is no tomorrow after Sunday.

We must beat the enemy.

And don't forget There are no tanks in Baghdad

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Stuey Topper

Juniors
Totally agree on Baz straightening the attack. It was great and Ferguson was starting to hit holes in the last twenty which was very encouraging

What is going on with the Pom?If I was an opposition centre I would just defend two metres inside him at all times. Every time he touches the ball he stops and just steps off the left and heads for the posts. Farkin run straight son and for farks sake dont stop!!!

Snow is playing at a level I didnt think he was capable of. Great stuff!!

Very happy with Green and TC. When Buster comes back, Hughes could be in strife. I'd start TC and have Green on bench

I have seen f**k all Toyota Cup Sharks games. Can someone tell me a bit about stapleton and orcher? I have heard they are very promising players. One of them needs a crack at fullback this week. Paris cannot be picked in first grade ever again. It was a great opportunity for him to make a statement and a difference last night but he was atrocious. I will really question Stickys sanity if he chooses him again (although, I have been doing that every week for the last 2 years)

spider

Coach
if hughes watched that last 20 minutes then i think we will see a whole lot more from him next week

i should be a bit nervous

DJShaksta

First Grade
Totally agree on Baz straightening the attack. It was great and Ferguson was starting to hit holes in the last twenty which was very encouraging

What is going on with the Pom?If I was an opposition centre I would just defend two metres inside him at all times. Every time he touches the ball he stops and just steps off the left and heads for the posts. Farkin run straight son and for farks sake dont stop!!!

Snow is playing at a level I didnt think he was capable of. Great stuff!!

Very happy with Green and TC. When Buster comes back, Hughes could be in strife. I'd start TC and have Green on bench

I have seen f**k all Toyota Cup Sharks games. Can someone tell me a bit about stapleton and orcher? I have heard they are very promising players. One of them needs a crack at fullback this week. Paris cannot be picked in first grade ever again. It was a great opportunity for him to make a statement and a difference last night but he was atrocious. I will really question Stickys sanity if he chooses him again (although, I have been doing that every week for the last 2 years)
Stapleton has killed in the the last 2 toyota cup games. He deserves a chance to step up, he would be better than Simmo in a heartbeat.

Latest posts