What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

70,000 screaming fans

innsaneink

Referee
Can it be done?
Will there be that many at ANZ next saturday?
Thats the figure some RL commentators have been throwing around.
41,000 at the SFS for the same game in 2005, it was the best game Ive been to in terms of atmosphere and the build up to it in the 2 weeks preceding (remember saints Illawara fans had a week head start to get tix)...ended up roughly a 3:1 ratio....but we were louder.
Its probably not too fondly rememberd by dragons fans, but Wests Tigers fans drool when this games mentioned.
Will ANZ stadium and possibly almost double the amount of spectators be able to recreate this atmosphere?
Ive seen some good games there with crowds of 25000+...it is possible.
Homebush will go off big time in a weeks time.
Bring it on....and go the Tigers!

images

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Was a fantastic atmos that's for sure in 2005 and I doubt it could be replicated. But I hope so, will definitely be there and hoping for another classic.

gronkathon

First Grade
If only ANZ was designed like the SFS. That place is built for atmosphere.

The NRL needs to start promoting this game on TV from tonight. Work out the publc transport for a main event and make it a festival of league out there. Send all the Family Fun Day equipment out there, run juniors clinics and make it a real afternoon running into night

Eels Dude

Coach
If Eels and Bulldogs got 75k last year, the Tigers v Dragons should get 70k or close to as they're equally well supported.

docbrown

Coach
A few weeks ago I posted my list - just an observation - of the most supported teams in the NRL. It was:

Alphas
1. Broncos
2. Dragons
3. Bulldogs

Betas
4. Tigers

I think this game could be the one to propel Tigers into the top, given the run into the game.

Despite what happened in Week 1, both sides are capable of drawing 40,000 supporters each. I think this is a big moment for the Tigers.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
dragons have the biggest fan base in sydney, as we're told. the tigers bandwagon was huge in 2005. can't see why we couldn't see a 70,000 crowd.

so, why won't we?

Danish

Referee
If this game doesnt get 70k+ then wests and saints fans should hang their heads in shame.

Both claim huge supporter bases, so really their can be no excuses.

I'll be there, hopefully to suss out who our opponents will be in the GF, but even if we go down tonight I'll still be there.

saints_fireup

Juniors
It should attract a huge crowd. I certainly hope that adequate transport options, such as the Major Event Bus Routes are in operation. These will be particularly important in attracting supporters from across the entire metro region.

In 2006 we got 45,000 against the Storm in the corresponding match. On that figure, and the back of our success, it would be pitiful to get anything less than 70K.

adamkungl

Immortal
Last years Parra v Dogs games was easily the best neutral game i've ever been to, thanks in part to the excellent atmosphere. Hoping for a repeat of that!

innsaneink

Referee
A few weeks ago I posted my list - just an observation - of the most supported teams in the NRL. It was:

Alphas
1. Broncos
2. Dragons
3. Bulldogs

Betas
4. Tigers

I think this game could be the one to propel Tigers into the top, given the run into the game.

Despite what happened in Week 1, both sides are capable of drawing 40,000 supporters each. I think this is a big moment for the Tigers.

Past five or six seasons Wests Tigers have been the highest or second highest only to the dogs re sydney team averages

_Johnsy

Referee
I think the final numer will depend on the NRL's advertising. The only football game in Sydney next weekend.

It will be interesting to see the build up via the media.

The Gambler

Juniors
If the figure is to get close, the media need to start drumming up the match big time from tomorrow morning onwards...as much as I hate to admit it.

dragondad

First Grade
Last years Parra v Dogs games was easily the best neutral game i've ever been to, thanks in part to the excellent atmosphere. Hoping for a repeat of that!

Went to it too, and my spine was tingling the whole match. Amazing atmosphere that night.

I planned my GF weekend in July, (like every good Saints man worth his salt).

With the "bonestorm" the Dragons have given me this year, I booked an a extra flight for the pre-lim this week.

It didn't matter wether it was Canberra or Wests, it was always going to go off.

I challenge any Dragon fan right now, if you can get there, GET THERE!!

!!!FIRE UP YOU SAINTS!!!

Tyler Durden

Juniors
The Eels v Bulldogs game last year was the by far the greatest atmosphere that I have EVER experienced at a league game.

The ANZ usually has capacity crowds for the massive games. Grand Finals get 80,000 but usually half the crowd are corporate wankers from manly who have scored a free ticket for a feed, piss up and a footy game. State of Origin gets big crowds too, but everyone is cheering for one side.

This game was tribal with 40,000 supporters on each side, screaming for their team. Half the stadium Blue and White, the other half Blue and Gold. The noise levels when the teams ran out for the kickoff was incredible - something I will never forget.

No excuses if there is not a similar size crowd on Saturday night. Lets rip.

boxa777

Coach
The hype that is going to surface this week with all the history of 05 is going to be out of this world. My prediction - it will surpass the Eels-Dogs game as a result and go close to a sell out.

There were Tigers everywhere against the Roosters but seeing as though there are f**k all fans from Bondi, the Tigers easily dominated the crowd. Not so this time. There will be red V's everywhere. But I expect Tigers supporters to atleast hit 40-45% of the crowd which is a fair achievement against the best supported Sydney club.

Gonna be an atmosphere like no other. Grand Final sh*t and the game will be a lot different to 05. I can smell the cockiness from here from Tigerland and it's definitely warranted given what Benji produced last night in attack and defence. Absolutely dynamite.

It's goin to be a long week. I'm a Saints supporter who lives in Balmain. This is going to be psychotic stuff and the match can't come quick enough.

parano1a

Juniors
I planned my GF weekend in July, (like every good Saints man worth his salt).

With the "bonestorm" the Dragons have given me this year, I booked an a extra flight for the pre-lim this week.

It didn't matter wether it was Canberra or Wests, it was always going to go off.

I challenge any Dragon fan right now, if you can get there, GET THERE!!

!!!FIRE UP YOU SAINTS!!!

Why do St George Illawarra fans refer to their team as being both the Dragons and the Saints? Surely if the club was to have two nicknames, one would have to be the Steelers?

The "actual" Saints won their prelim tonight and will be playing in the Grand Final next week.

Latest posts