What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94 First Test Aus v GB

Nonny1980

Juniors
Living in London and ESPN Classics is showing the 94 first test between Australia and Great Britain. I remember being a 14 year old getting up at 2am to watch the game and being so excited of the prospect of seeing Australia on a Kangaroo Tour.

To think this is the absolute pinnacle that rugby league was at before super league hit in early 1995. It makes me feel gutted how much the game has changed since then.

Te Australia side was full of superstars... players that are truly great players. To think Mullins, Meninga, Langer, Clyde, Fittler, Daley, Walters, Sironen were all in the one team, not to mention the others that were also in it.

I remember the night so clearly watching this game, it's just sad to know now what was going on in the background at the time which our game has yet to fully recover from.

I hope by the time my children are 14 the game has sorted itself out and is even better than it was in 94.

mongoose

Coach
has any club side ever had the aussie 1, 6,7 and 9 all at the same time? probably st george in the 50s and 60s, who else?

MattJ

Juniors
More rose coloured garbage.

Yeah thats right, because unless your here to complain, bitch, whinge and moan about every aspect of the current game you shouln't bother posting anything. :roll:

Go sit in the dark and listen to your my chemical romance albums on repeat sad little emo bitch.

nadera78

Juniors
I was at Wembley for that match. I'm a Londoner so didn't grow up with RL and had only been watching the game for a little while at that point. That was the game that really switched me from being an admirer to a full-on fan. Sean Edwards getting sent off after twenty minutes, playing sixty minutes a man down (only two subs in those days), beautiful try from Jonathan Davies in the corner, some absolutely sensational defensive work from GB - "none shall pass" type thing.

Great game of footie!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think the Aussie team wouldve been:

Mullins
ET
Meninga
Renouf
Sailor
Daley
Langer
Lazarus
Walters
Harragon
Sironen
Clyde
Fittler

Furner
Brasher
Roberts
Pay

I think Stuart was either on the bench or not playing then was recalled to the team in the second test. Much like 1990.

Edwards was sent off early after a high shot on Clyde.

I remember it was 8-0 for most of the game, then Australia scored through Renouf with about 5 minutes to go. GB used their aggressive tactics.

I think also Sironen was ruled out for the rest of the tour after this match.

Mr Saab

Referee
Sironen was not ruled out, he was dropped because of mobilty issues.
Stuart was on the bench for the 1st test.
Sean Edwards smashed Clyde and was sent off

Jason Robinson matched up vs Sailor...and then they met again in the 2003 Union World Cup....bit of useless trivia.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The team was:
1 - Brett Mullins
2 - Andrew Ettingshausen
3 - Mal Meninga
4 - Steve Renouf
5 - Wendell Sailor
6 - Laurie Daley
7 - Allan Langer
13 - Brad Fittler
12 - Brad Clyde
11 - Paul Sironen
10 - Ian Roberts
9 - Steve Walters
8 - Paul Harragon

14 - David Furner
15 - Dean Pay
16 - Ricky Stuart
17 - Tim Brasher (not used)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
has any club side ever had the aussie 1, 6,7 and 9 all at the same time? probably st george in the 50s and 60s, who else?
From memory, no.

However Brisbane had 6 of the 7 starting backs in the second test against New Zealand in 1998.

1 - Lockyer
2 - Sailor
3 - Renouf
4 - D.Smith
5 - Brasher
6 - K.Walters
7 - Langer

Broncos players scored 28 of the teams 30 points that day (Johns, who played at hooker, kicked a goal)

tiger_nick

Bench
ahh thats right, the series where elias came in and saved our arses after walters offered us nothing in the first game.

Not sure if all played in the same test but Eadie,Thompson,Martin,Gibbs and Krilich all played tests in 78 as well as about 5 more Eagles players.

screeny

Bench
I was at Wembley for that match. I'm a Londoner so didn't grow up with RL and had only been watching the game for a little while at that point. That was the game that really switched me from being an admirer to a full-on fan. Sean Edwards getting sent off after twenty minutes, playing sixty minutes a man down (only two subs in those days), beautiful try from Jonathan Davies in the corner, some absolutely sensational defensive work from GB - "none shall pass" type thing.

Great game of footie!
Aaah, yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. I watched it round a mate's house after smoking a lot. The contact always seemed alot more ferocious after that. (Don't tell my bosses).

Great day.

Steve Walters did not go on the 1990 Tour.
It was Kerrod and Kevin

LOL @ tiger_nick.

Steve Walters was great in that 94 series. Elias was done in 94. Steve should of toured in 90 but they didn't wanna pick too many Raiders. Same thing with Nagas & Croker in 94.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL @ tiger_nick.

Steve Walters was great in that 94 series. Elias was done in 94. Steve should of toured in 90 but they didn't wanna pick too many Raiders. Same thing with Nagas & Croker in 94.
Croker more than anyone should've been on that tour. One of the greatest injustices on the game since Len Smith being dumped.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fulton had Toovey, they had a deeper relationship.

It's got me f**ked how Toovey managed to play at a level higher than First grade.