What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94: LU Arsenal Brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeepe

Immortal
seems like it's not all happy families out Gooner way

Lehmann slams Almunia
Jens Lehmann has told Manuel Almunia he does not yet deserve to be first-choice goalkeeper at Arsenal.

Lehmann started the season between the posts for The Gunners but made a couple of costly goalkeeping blunders.

Almunia has come in and looked assured, with Arsene Wenger claiming that Lehmann was not available due to an Achilles problem.

However, the German was fit to play for his country in Saturday's 2-0 victory over Wales, and will now be in contention for Arsenal's next game against Tottenham.

"I am without a doubt mentally the strongest player at Arsenal because I have more experience," Lehmann claimed in The People.

"There will always be a keeper who will play better for two or three matches but I have never seen anyone do this for ten games.

"I know that I have an advantage at Arsenal and that I can keep it. I don't see any young supermen keeping me out."

Wenger has told Lehmann that he cannot expect to just walk back into the side, but the 37-year-old is confident it will only be a matter of time before he reclaims his place.

He said: "I know I will be playing again at Arsenal. The coach will let me play.

"He knows it, and I know it - it doesn't matter if I have another week out.

"I have read that Almunia said he deserves to be the No 1 but until now he has not won a single important game."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2717593,00.html

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I'd still start Jens over Manuel, it would be silly to have the German keeper on the bench for an uncapped Spaniard.

He has learnt his "lesson", eyes on the ball from now on Jens.

Oh, and STFU!

Macca_

Coach
Old news that Lehmann thinks he's all that and his place is secure.

I think it's good to see.

Almunia has commented about taking the #1 and Lehmann fires back saying he'll take it back. Great to have 2 keepers fighting so hard for their place. Can only be a good thing, especially given that Jens won't be about for that long anyway.

Dragooner

Bench
Too true Macca. Both keepers are desperate for that no.1 spot and that contest will push them to new levels in their respective keeping careers!

Will be great to see!

Worst that could happen is if the two of them had a falling out...could get ugly then...

Kiwishark

Juniors
Macca_ said:
I'd back Blondie to put a few on Jens :lol:

His bark is bigger then the bite :lol:

Ah come on Macca_ we all know how firey Lehmann gets!!

I'd back Lehmann in a fight, although I don't like how he thinks he's guaranteed his spot. I don't think anyone should be guaranteed their spot, not even Fabregas! not even Wenger! Ever. You let yourself think like that and your performance will drop.

Macca_

Coach
Nah, I'm backing Blondie to put him on the canvas. I do believe Jens has a big bark and the bite is nothing.

Maybe it can be set up as an end of season event. Keepers go toe to toe in the ring for the right to start next season as #1. (Jens most likely on the out then anyway).

Macca_

Coach
As posted in the game thread, the Derby is on foxsports (viewers choice) at 10.30pm Saturday.

Also, the Champions League game vs Sevilla is on ESPN. Not live but it's the afternoon game they show. Thursday (20th) at 1pm.

I'll have decide if I knock off work early, or if I get the mrs to tape it. Will have to avoid all media during the morning though!

Dragooner

Bench
Arsenal don't need a billionaire backer - Hill-Wood

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists suggestions the club need a billionaire backer are 'lunacy'.

There has been much speculation the Gunners are ripe for a takeover, with the likes of Alisher Usmanov and Stan Kroenke having already taken a considerable stakeholding in Arsenal's parent company.

Former Gunners vice-chairman David Dein - who controversially left the club in April - long held the opinion that the Gunners needed major foreign investment in order to compete with their Premier League rivals like Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool, who all have international backing.

But Hill-Wood insists Arsenal's sensible financial policy will work in their favour.

He said: 'We have always run Arsenal as a business and kept within reasonable bounds.

'All this nonsense about needing a billionaire to put a whole lot of money in to help shore up the annual deficit is not going to happen - it is lunacy.'

Hill-Wood told BBC Sport: 'I have no objection to foreign investors coming into the Premier League, it's going to be beneficial.

'Most of them are investment people and they are not buying into clubs because they have the passion for the local team they have supported since they were two years old.

'They think that football and the Premier League is an attractive investment and they want a return on that.

'That will work in our favour. There will be a more sensible attitude in transfer fees at silly levels and all this sort of thing.

'People putting £100million in are going to want to see how they can make a profit. To go on paying more to players is not justified or sensible.'

Hill-Wood maintains the board have no intention of selling any more shares in the club - but would listen to any 'sensible proposals' from the likes of Usmanov and Kroenke.

There has been uncertainty surrounding the direction of the club following the high-profile departure of Dein and sale of captain Thierry Henry to Barcelona, although speculation surrounding Arsene Wenger's future was finally concluded last week when the Frenchman signed a new three-year deal with the club.

Dein left the Gunners board following a disagreement over plans to bring investment from Kroenke - who owns a 12.2% stake in the club - to the Emirates Stadium.

Last week Dein sold his 14.58% stake for £75million to Red and White Holdings Ltd - a company co-owned by Russian tycoon Usmanov and business partner Farhad Moshiri that has pledged to buy shares in the club - and was then appointed its chairman, fuelling talk of a forthcoming takeover.

But while Hill-Wood admits Arsenal, who release their financial figures for the year later this month, would be prepared to listen to what interested parties may have to say, he insists the board have no plans to sell.

'The major shareholders have no intention of selling and wouldn't welcome an offer,' he said.

'We will have a dialogue with any principal or major shareholder. If they have got some sensible proposals we will listen to them.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=461912&cc=3436

Glad to see Hill-Wood some out and say this...but I wouldn't mind having a billionare at the helm.

Macca_

Coach
Look out Pasha!

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?...r+-+Havard+Nordtveit+is+so+mature+for+his+age
Wenger - Havard Nordtveit is so mature for his age
By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger has hailed Havard Nordtveit as one of the most mature young players he has ever seen.

Arsenal beat a number of clubs to land the 17-year-old centre back from Norwegian side Haugesund in July. The Under-19 international has impressed in both his Reserve League appearances so far and, significantly, has been handed the captain’s armband.

Wenger is aware that Nordtveit is not the ‘finished article’ but in certain areas he is well ahead of schedule.

“What I liked in this boy is his intelligence and his mental strength,” said the manager earlier this season. “He is very mature. In fact I have rarely seen a boy of his age so mature.

“Physically we need to get him up to the Premiership level, at the moment he is a bit behind. But technically and tactically he is already there. He is an intelligent boy with good vision. He has a good pass out from the back and he is strong too.

“I hope that he can develop well.”

[ Tuesday, September 11, 2007]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts