What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A big KUDOS to Matt Keating

the_eel

Juniors
I really haven't seen him play prior to this season but so far he has been impressive. I'm not sure about the talks of him playing rep footy but he's definitely adequately filled the void left by PJ and showing alot of improvement as the season has progressed.

caylo

Bench
Farah will be the NSW hooker for a long time, and Keating would have to turn into something relay special to take that off him. I think the days of interchange hookers are finished tbh and he may not see alot of rep footy, but he will be there or there-abouts in the future. Could he every super-sead Cam or Farah, only time will tell.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
They may be brother but they look nothing alike tbh. Matty looks more like Cam Smith, while Kris looks like the Milky Bar kid. :D
I think Kris is the spurn of the Milk Man ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
Farah will be the NSW hooker for a long time, and Keating would have to turn into something relay special to take that off him. I think the days of interchange hookers are finished tbh and he may not see alot of rep footy, but he will be there or there-abouts in the future. Could he every super-sead Cam or Farah, only time will tell.

If Farah's back problems continue he might not be....... supposedly the same problem that has kept Minichiello out for the best part of two seasons.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Farah is injury-ravaged and may be moulded into a 7 sooner rather than later anyway.

MK is AWESOME because he shares the same initials as me.

juneauquan

Juniors
Farah is injury-ravaged and may be moulded into a 7 sooner rather than later anyway.

MK is AWESOME because he shares the same initials as me.

I concur with your genius awesomeness of MK proclamation ... as MK shares the same intitials as me too. :p

He would be even more awesome if he had a middle name starting with D

Eelementary

Post Whore
How awesome is that!

* Matt Keating shares my initials

* Eric Grothe Jnr.'s birthday is the same day as mine

And that's about it lol.

But I am very impressed with both young Keatings. Exciting prospects for sure.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
MK has been excellent so far this season, that 40/20 kick was a clutch play in a tight situation. And it also showed he's not afraid to back himself, suprise packet of the year so far IMO.

Pazza

First Grade
he also has quite a bit of speed out of dummy half, i'd like to see him getting quite a few quick play the balls

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think a big reason why Matt Keating has been going so well is because he hasnt been expected to do anything but be solid. So many of our players were expected to do this and that, but Matt Keating has been given the freedome to just be solid and take the run and dummy every now and then.

And while were saying who he reminds us of, he reminds me of James Roby and a bit of Luke Priddis.

TheRam

Coach
Also besides not having to many expectations placed on his young and inexperienced shoulders, is the fact that he has been allowed to play in his rightful position and in first grade without interruption.

Unfortunately KK has not been given that option.

However his quality due to development is not at this stage as good as the service as PJ's would have been. Don't kid yourselves we are missing PJ. Maybe in a year or two it will be a different story, but for now MK still has a lot of improvement to do. Especially in quick scoots from dummy half to get the defense back peddling, which breaks up the line of defense and allows our excellent runners the opportunity to fine the holes.

caylo

Bench
Also besides not having to many expectations placed on his young and inexperienced shoulders, is the fact that he has been allowed to play in his rightful position and in first grade without interruption.

However his quality due to development is not at this stage as good as the service as PJ's would have been. Don't kid yourselves we are missing PJ. Maybe in a year or two it will be a different story, but for now MK still has a lot of improvement to do. Especially in quick scoots from dummy half to get the defense back peddling, which breaks up the line of defense and allows our excellent runners the opportunity to fine the holes.

TBH i realy don't think we are missing Marsh, Keatings dummby half running is better than Piggies and PJs. He picks and choses alot better than Marsh and Riddell did, and he makes 15+ meters every time he runs in and around the ruck.

He should be playing 80 min a match with Riddell used exclusivley as a backrower and incase of injury.

The Colonel

Immortal

He does lack some experience but his dummy half service has been better than Riddells. That much has shown in the fact the forwards are getting the ball at the advantage line rather than well behind it.

Needs to work on his running game however if he continues in the same vein it won't really matter. He'll be our starting hooker next year regardless.

sooperdooper

First Grade
As Caylo said...the time of 2 hookers on the bench has been and gone, you need an 80 min hooker along with someone who can play various positions.
MK is our 9 not piggy.
Piggy should be on the bench to play in the forwards and slot in at hooker from time to time

the_eel

Juniors
As Caylo said...the time of 2 hookers on the bench has been and gone, you need an 80 min hooker along with someone who can play various positions.

Will be interesting next season to see what type of interchange makeup we have next season. I agree that the days of 2 hookers on the bench are a thing of the past.

TheRam

Coach
TBH i realy don't think we are missing Marsh, Keatings dummby half running is better than Piggies and PJs. He picks and choses alot better than Marsh and Riddell did, and he makes 15+ meters every time he runs in and around the ruck.

Piggies for sure, but PJ's I don't think so. Not yet anyway. The speed of his dummy half runs is the key, this I have yet to see from anyone this season.

He should be playing 80 min a match with Riddell used exclusivley as a backrower and incase of injury.

I agree this is plainly obvious to everyone but the coach it would seem. Or maybe he just wants to ease him into the workload, and towards the end of the year and or beginning with next year he will be an 80 mins player. I mean we do not want to see him playing 80 mins and making mistakes or being ineffective for parts of the game.

This could lead to a loss of confidence at such an early stage in his development. Hopefully the coaching staff know his temperament and will bring him along nicely. Time will tell.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Hes growing on me, i know alot of Eels fans had a massive wrap on the kid but he really didnt do much but pass in hes first couple of games, thats all well and good in under 16's but this is first grade.

Latest posts