What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A big reason we get crap crowds compared to AFL

russ13

First Grade
On the southern NSW thing, the ratings for the AFL GF in the SNSW category for the last two AFL GFs were:

2005 230K
2006 200K

The figures for the NRL GFs were:

2005 422K
2006 342K (actually 340,923)

(see pages 15 & 61-65 of TV ratings thread)

Sounds like the AFL have some catching up to do.

There is also a post on the TV Rating's thread about Canberra's poor AFL FNF audience 7000 v the NRL's 44,000 in that region.

On the regional versus the mini-states comparisons of the GF audiences, a learned poster said this on the TV Rating Thread (TFC) page 65:
http://72.52.152.33/~leagueun/forums/showthread.php?t=104804&page=65
It is interesting to note that the rural & regional areas of Queensland & NSW had a total audience of 1.201 million. The total audience for Perth & Adelaide for the AFL GF was 880,000.

OK so another 200,000 rural & regional Crow-eaters & Sand-gropers may (being generous) have watched the AFL GF it still is well behind the bush figures for the NRL GF in the northern states.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
russ13 said:
On the southern NSW thing, the ratings for the AFL GF in the SNSW category for the last two AFL GFs were:

2005 230K
2006 200K

2005 422K

There is also a post on the TV Rating's thread about Canberra's poor AFL FNF audience 7000 v the NRL's 44,000 in that region.
Obviously these are all lies, the people on BigFooty told me that southern NSW is AFL heartland!

russ13 said:

2005 230K
2006 200K

2005 422K

Those figures are meaningless unless you can provide some information on which areas exactly the "SNSW" category includes.

m0j0

Bench
It's been mentioned a few times in this thread - the AFL simply has a bigger supporter base. Amounting blame to the existing NRL supporters is not going to achieve anything. It's those that don't support it that need to be converted in order to get bigger crowds. As much as you and I love the game, the fact is there's a large percentage of the population that don't - either because they just don't like it, or because they've never been introduced to it. You can't force people to like the game.

I mean, I don't like basketball and I don't watch it at all, however there are others that do. I'm not sure if they're worried that the NRL or AFL get bigger crowds than they get at the basketball, but I doubt it. They're able to survive as a competition and serve their supporters accordingly with what they have. Why can't we just face reality and do the same? Seriously, who gives a toss if more people go to AFL than NRL as long as we still have a comp to follow? Yes, it would be good to have bigger crowds, hence bigger revenues, and in turn, bigger salaries and better player retention and theoretically a better quality comp, but I see those as bonuses rather than necessities.

Getting back to the basketball analogy, crowd attendances are not necessarily the primary key to a healthy competition. Take American basketball. I think you'd be kidding yourself if you were to suggest that NRL has a bigger following than American basketball. Their players are paid exponentially more than NRL players, yet their stadiums and attendances, for the most part, aren't all that big. As an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamodome#NBA_basketball said:
The San Antonio Spurs moved to the Alamodome from HemisFair Arena after the 1992-93 NBA season. The Spurs played nine seasons in the Alamodome, including during their first NBA championship season, which was played against the New York Knicks in 1999. Attendance was 39,514 for Game 1 of the 1999 NBA Finals and 39,554 for Game 2 (the largest crowd to see an NBA Finals game).

During the regular season, most of the upper level was curtained off. However, the Spurs opened a portion of the upper level when popular opponents came to down and on certain weekends, expanding capacity to 32,500.

So, the largest crowd for an NBA finals game was 39,554. Not overly impressive figures are they? It's all about TV rights and sponsorship dollars. While we may agree that the best way to watch a game is live and if you really want to experience the atmosphere, that's the only way to do it, I can see why the NRL doesn't treat it as a priority. It's much more advantageous for the NRL to have 200,000 people watch the games on TV then at the grounds because the sponsorship dollars and TV rights are worth more to the NRL than a percentage of gate takings.

It's a bit sad, but that's the way it is. My advice is to not worry so much about it. If the NRL aren't going to put in the effort, then there's little that you or I can do that will have any long term impact. Just enjoy the fact that we can almost always be guaranteed a good seat to a live footy match whenever we want and get on with life.

russ13

First Grade
Here is some more about the regionals:
http://cs.agbnmr.com/Uploads/Australia/2007 Universe Estimates.pdf

© All Rights Reserved 2006 Page 1
2007 UNIVERSE ESTIMATES
Homes (000’s)Total People (000’s) Number of Homes
Installed
Total Queensland (AM-A) 625 1556 535
Cairns 90 218 80
Townsville 77 208 70
Mackay 59 158 70
Rockhampton 74 194 70
Maryborough 228 526 165
Toowoomba 97 252 80
Total Northern NSW (AM-B) 777 1935 475
Northern Rivers 361 871 220
Newcastle 283 731 175
Tamworth/Taree 133 333 80
Total Southern NSW (AM-C) 517 1342 380
Canberra 168 448 123
Wollongong 196 498 139
Orange/Dubbo/Wagga 153 396 118
Total Victoria (AM-D) 434 1106 435
Bendigo 90 226 88
Shepparton 67 170 69
Albury 71 179 68
Gippsland 78 199 83
Ballarat 128 332 127
Total Tasmania 195 492 190
Hobart 98 248 95
Launceston 97 244 95

Red Bear

Referee
Its a pity Telstra is such a sh*t ground, especially behind the post where you are a long way from the action.
SFS is a superb large ground for rugby league tho, so freaking loud n gets a good atmosphere, unlike the souless Telstra Stadium.
Most suburban ground get a good atmosphere also, altho it can be lost at WIN due to it being so open.

And more day games would also help crowds in Sydney in particular. Northing better than a sunny sunday arvo at the league, with better footy played in the day as well

In-goal

Bench
F*ckwit, the areas of NSW where AFL is more popular is about 250,000 people, no where near 1 million.

Why do you have to be so rude all the time, I find you to be nothing more than a piece of uneducated sh*t that has to raise his voice when the argument goes down hill.

For such a know all on everything sport your true lack or composure during a debate is remarkable, you wouldn't have a clue as to the populations of Southern NSW I have no doubt you most likley jumped on Wikipedia to see what you could find and as I suspect not much.

To all of those that believe only 1/3 of perth watched last years AFL GF pull the other one, for crying out loud the streets where empty for the duration of the match.

The AFL and Australian Rules as a code and competition are not only big in Victoria but Tasmainia, ACT, WA, SA and through large pockets of QLD and NSW, don't blame Aussie Rules for being what ever it is that you have against it, learn from their wonderful marketing and thier ability to take the game to the people.

The AFL as a competition currently has a crowd average this season of 36,444, and that is taking into acount the small turnouts at the Gold Coast and Canberra due to small stadiums. Even the swans are turning out nearly 33K on average to a match so you can't just say it's travel and Sydney! It's the Sydney RL culture that is killing itself from within.

eaglezno1

Juniors
Rockin Ronny said:
Crowd issue? It used to be addressed by fudging the numbers - then that was found out.

The reason for bad crowds is obvious. The organisation that owns the game wants fans to stay home and watch TV on their product, PayTV. The cost for a family to go to the footy is massive - especially when things are tight.

what do you mean crowd issue? i think that will be a rad idea

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst crowd sizes aren't necessarily a sign of a games health you must admit if you was a National business looking to spend some corporate doolar and you looked at a Sth's game at telstra compared to say a WC Eagles game at Subi then you would be swayed as to where to spend the money. It is this money infusion that is the main worry and whilst TV figures in SNW and Q'land are great a National company is going to want to know its product isbeing seen nationally not just in two states.

Sydneys answer seems to be a new Suncorpesk stadium for the Dogs, Eels, Tigers and Manly and a new train line for SFS and Sths, Roosters and Sharks.

fourplay

Juniors
Big through large pockets of QLD, NSW and ACT ? well sorry but you are an idiot then... AFL rates about 20k a match live on TV in QLD and NSW... and ACT its even smaller.

JW

Coach
:lol: Jesus Christ.

I stopped reading when the goose proclaimed AFL is "big" in the ACT. I'm sure the rest of post was even funnier, but there's only so much crap I can digest at any one time.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
In-goal said:
Why do you have to be so rude all the time,
He wasn't being rude.

In-goal said:
I find you to be nothing more than a piece of uneducated sh*t that has to raise his voice when the argument goes down hill.
Congratulations, you're a hypocrite.

In-goal said:
For such a know all on everything sport your true lack or composure during a debate is remarkable, you wouldn't have a clue as to the populations of Southern NSW I have no doubt you most likley jumped on Wikipedia to see what you could find and as I suspect not much.
That's one long sentence... Pity it doesn't have any point to it.

In-goal said:
To all of those that believe only 1/3 of perth watched last years AFL GF pull the other one,
So the tv figures are lying just to make the AFL in Perth look bad? LOL

In-goal said:
The AFL and Australian Rules as a code and competition are not only big in Victoria but Tasmainia, ACT, WA, SA and through large pockets of QLD and NSW,
Fumbleball is big in the southern states? Well I never would've known!

CaptainObvious.jpg

Popular in the ACT? :lol: Maybe you can explain why North Melbourne abandoned Canberra and why the AFL gets such sh*t tv ratings and crowds there?

As for the 'large pockets in NSW and QLD', maybe you can explain to us where they are (I dare you to say the Gold Coast). :lol:

In-goal said:
The AFL as a competition currently has a crowd average this season of 36,444, and that is taking into acount the small turnouts at the Gold Coast and Canberra due to small stadiums.
:lol: You're insane or you're Dean Laidley.

In-goal said:
It's the Sydney RL culture that is killing itself from within.
Pity that the evidence (tv ratings and crowds) says otherwise.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
JW said:
:lol: Jesus Christ.

I stopped reading when the goose proclaimed AFL is "big" in the ACT. I'm sure the rest of post was even funnier, but there's only so much crap I can digest at any one time.

Yeah it got better, I think someone ordered one bigfooty troll for TFC but the order was mixed up and he ended up here instead. :lol:

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
Rockin Ronny said:
Crowd issue? It used to be addressed by fudging the numbers - then that was found out.

The reason for bad crowds is obvious. The organisation that owns the game wants fans to stay home and watch TV on their product, PayTV. The cost for a family to go to the footy is massive - especially when things are tight.

what do you mean crowd issues? imagine having this rivalry and derby round...

St. George v Cronulla @ Kograh: 20, 000
Brisbane v Gold Coast @ Suncorp: 50, 000
Bulldogs v Wests Tigers @ Telstra: 30, 000
Parra v Penrith @ Parra Stadium: 20,000
Easts v Souths @ SFS: 25, 000
Newcastle v Manly @ EAS: 25, 000
Nth Qld v Warriors @ DFS: 25, 000
Melbourne v Canberra @ Olympic Park: 12, 000

this has potential

Ice777

Bench
ozzy_ozman said:
what do you mean crowd issues? imagine having this rivalry and derby round...

St. George v Cronulla @ Kograh: 20, 000
Brisbane v Gold Coast @ Suncorp: 50, 000
Bulldogs v Wests Tigers @ Telstra: 30, 000
Parra v Penrith @ Parra Stadium: 20,000
Easts v Souths @ SFS: 25, 000
Newcastle v Manly @ EAS: 25, 000
Nth Qld v Warriors @ DFS: 25, 000
Melbourne v Canberra @ Olympic Park: 12, 000

this has potential

You're dreaming if you think in any one round you'd get those numbers for every game. The only possible way that could happen is if every team was winning and having a good season which we all know is impossible. Under the right circumstances any of those games could draw those numbers, but all in one round there's no way.

sorry if this has been said. but

it would of been nice if the show ground was rectangular for football and telstra specifically for grand finals. sfs to me is the perfect football stadium and sh*ts all over telstra. i imagine suncorp is similar to sfs but ive never been

Slackboy72

Coach
I would say in Canberra that union is the biggest game followed by league and then AFL not too far behind. At the local level the ACTAFL is definitely bigger and better supported than the local league comp. The reason why the roos did so poorly in Canberra is because they were sh*t and noone wanted to see them play. Add to that the fact that Manuka oval is tiny in terms of capacity and you won't get any large crowds there any time soon.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Yep, unions so big in Canberra, when they win the GF and close the streets for the masses of people, about 200 turn up, if that :lol:

Now compared to the Raiders, how many streets would be closed and how big a party would they throw?

russ13

First Grade
I am waiting to see how union will go in Canberra after a few poor seasons of the Super 14 team.

The TV ratings (when they make the Top 20 lists) are always well behind the RL games.

In-goal

Bench
I can't believe how ingnorant some of you fools are, you think you know it all. However I love RL all I have been saying is that most of you fools are so worried about finding excuses, that you will never find the answers.

Most of you post without any real evidence to what you complain about, I have been dubbed a AFL troll however I have been posting here pro RL since 03 and since 01 on RLeague before that.

I know far more than alot of you high school sh*theads will most likley ever know, simply because you raised as biggots in the worst city in Australia.

Oh Telstra to far, Oh Telstra to far from the Action, Tri-Nations final who cares this is generaly your attitudes to the game so why don't you take your mates to the games and shut the F up

Latest posts