What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A blast from the past......

Found this on the rleague archives.....

Canberra Raiders 22.
Tries: Ken Nagas, David Cox, Mark McLinden, Brett Mullins.
Goals: David Furner 3.
defeated Parramatta Eels 8.
Tries: Stuart Kelly 2.
Venue: Parramatta Stadium. Crowd: 10,085. Date: Sun Jul 26.
Referee: Paul McBlane.
Half time: Canberra 22-4.
Dally M Points: Points for final five rounds done in private.
SMH Report: click here.
Comments: Great away win for the Raiders. Keep there top six hopes alive and gives them confidence for the end of season games that they can win a big game away from Bruce. For Parramatta to be a threat in the NRL, they need to sort out their problems in the halves and hooker. The Eels have the forwards to win the comp but not the backs.

Sound familiar.....

By the way, does anyone remember Julian Troy?? I can't place him????

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the year is missing off the date

anyone ?

97/98 for me

and what have we done about a halfback since

Unreal V

Juniors
It could have been from any year. Really puts it all into perspective. In 2001 we did get the back line we hoped for but some how managed to piss it all away.

PJ Marshal

Coach
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Mr Parra Eels said:
What ever happend to Jamie Owens?

Ahhh the field goal that got us home 7-6 in the rain at Belmore.

I thik he went back to the country where he was originally from.

That was a great game, 80 minute arm wrestle but the quality of Parra shone through!

Hurriflatch

Referee
Anyone happen to have a tape of that game??

One of the few games I missed that year.

not to mention a win v Runts

The Colonel

Immortal
Julian Troy - came from the Roosters. Good toiler along the lines of Marty McKenzie and Justin Morgan. Went to England the next year.

Misty Bee

First Grade
In time? How much time? And how many more seasons have to be sacrificed????

Belly's post is good. 8 years on and it's the same cold porridge re halfback. In all those years, we have had a serious candidate for best player in the world (J Smith or Hindy), and have come up short. IN fact, take 2001 from the equasion, and you have a very long period of failure.

Smithy HAS to go. Even now, we balls up and dilly dally aropund the halfback issue, while of our 4 options, Thorman is gone, Dykes wants to, Witt is, at best, still developing, and Tim Smith is an even further behind!!!!

In 8 years, any potential top grade halfback that we have had, or tried to get, has been pissed up against the wall!!!!!

fish eel

Immortal
IN fact, take 2001 from the equasion, and you have a very long period of failure.

do you regard 98,99 and 2000 as a failure?

Because I tell you what, I know people think we shoulda won the comp in 98, but fair dinkum, we had one ordinary backline....in fact, if we made the grand final that year and pumped the broncos, we would have had the weakest grand final winning backline in many years in my opinion.....and smith did well to get that side that far.

Eelectrica

Referee
No doubt Smiths biggest failing as coach has been his inability to find a Half back. Any other coach would have found one in 8 years, Whilst Smith has a new one each year.
Hell Arthur Kitinas found himself a Half back after one game.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't know what it is about the Parramatta no.7 jersey but but it's been cursed since Sterlo went down after the Gillespie hit in 1992!

Galbraith: the sole reason why HJ is around
Tollet: promised so much but ended up an absolute dud!
Freeman: wore the jersey for a year and consequently ended his career [not a bad thing though]
Simon: may of represented Australia but was shafted by the club with year and a half left in his contract.
Lawler: Also ended his career after wearing the jersey.
Penna: career ended with a neck injury.
Marsh: career all but over 2 years after wearing the jersey
Taylor: last career game ended with a grand final loss
Drew: was released by Canberra to play in England after wearing the jersey.
Green: Horific injury while wearing the jersey
Dykes: on the outer with the club.
Witt: see Dykes

Know who's wants to wear Stelo's jumper next year???? :evil:

fish eel

Immortal
Throw in Jason Bell, Martin Seal and Danny Farrar to that list. I know Farrar made his name as a hooker at penrith, but people had wraps on him when he was getting around in the 7 for us in the old presidents cup

The Parramatta number 7 is akin to the superman jumpsuit, whoever puts it on is cursed!

The Colonel

Immortal
Steve Jolly, Garen Casey, Steve Witt, Keith Blackett, James Webster, Andrew McFadden, Casey McGuire, Ben Kusto.....

Latest posts