What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new merged NRL competition

rugged

Juniors
t-ba said:
Brisbane has nothing on Sydney's RL culture, and theres more corporate money to be had in Sydney. At best, QLD could have Half of NSW teams, not 'atleast half.'

An eye towards Ipswich and Redcliffe imo in the next 15 years has to be seriously considered if we want to consolidate the city.

Do you want to rate how much QLDers love their league??? :crazy:

Are you trying to say QLD should have more teams or less in the NRL as you are sending mixed messages.

t-ba

Post Whore
rugged said:
Do you want to rate how much QLDers love their league??? :crazy:

Are you trying to say QLD should have more teams or less in the NRL as you are sending mixed messages.

Yeah, I do actually :crazy: . Even in the most RU areas of Sydney, like North Sydney and Crows Nest, People in the 'Vintage' Jerseys were everywhere last year. Back in about 2004, the Old club logos on a trucker cap were an actual fashion item FFS...Lions merchandise gives RL merchandise a serious run for its money up here. I had no idea just how dire the situation was until I moved up here! Now it's all good and well to have passion for the SoO and the tests, but they ARE NOT RL's bread and butter.

NSW should maintain it's current Number of teams. Brisbane would do well to have a few more. But the idea that QLD should have 'atleast half' as many teams as NSW is ridiculous. The corporate money isn't where the interest is (Say, Central QLD, Toowoomba or the Sun Coast. Toowoomba is friggen insane for RL! The Cowboys are subsidised as it is!), and the interest isn't where the corporate money is (Brisbane) to support a huge amount of teams tbh!

I think the dolphins and an Ipswich club would finish QLD off nicely for RL clubs.

*Edit*- The Brissie Metro Area definately needs a second side Very soon!

Sharkie™

Juniors
u are basically killing something i love about RL and thats hatred between teams and their fans and the sense of tribal warfare everytime the Saints VS the Sharks or the Panthers VS the Eels.

DJ1

Juniors
There should be no more mergers or forced relocations.

An 18 team "National" competition would be ideal.

It is up to the leadership of the NRL to come up with a plan to make this happen. They would have to provide incentives sufficient enough to entice a club into making the decision to relocate.

e.g. If the NRL decides that it requires the following,

Central Coast
2nd Brisbane team
Perth
Adelaide
2nd NZ team

These franchise areas would be offered to the following Sydney teams to establish themselves in this area.

North Sydney
South Sydney
Cronulla
Canterbury
Parramatta
Penrith
Wests
Manly
Roosters

Dragons will be offerred a one off incentive for a permanent move to Wollongong.

No forced relocations or mergers.

The deal starts at $20M

No takers after 3 years

Increased to $30M

No takers after 5 years

Increased to $50M

No takers after 7 years

Increased to $75M

No takers after 10 years

Increased to $100M

Clubs will take this type of incentive simply because it would provide them a secure funding base to ensure future survival. The "New" sponsorship opportunities are huge. You will also see a great away game support when playing in Sydney.

The NRL needs to make the decision that it wants a team in an area and then make it happen over a 10 -15 year timeframe.

t-ba

Post Whore
DJ1 said:
The NRL needs to make the decision that it wants a team in an area and then make it happen over a 10 -15 year timeframe.

Indeed. Some serious long term planning needs to happen.

rugged

Juniors
t-ba said:
Yeah, I do actually :crazy: . Even in the most RU areas of Sydney, like North Sydney and Crows Nest, People in the 'Vintage' Jerseys were everywhere last year. Back in about 2004, the Old club logos on a trucker cap were an actual fashion item FFS...Lions merchandise gives RL merchandise a serious run for its money up here. I had no idea just how dire the situation was until I moved up here! Now it's all good and well to have passion for the SoO and the tests, but they ARE NOT RL's bread and butter.

NSW should maintain it's current Number of teams. Brisbane would do well to have a few more. But the idea that QLD should have 'atleast half' as many teams as NSW is ridiculous. The corporate money isn't where the interest is (Say, Central QLD, Toowoomba or the Sun Coast. Toowoomba is friggen insane for RL! The Cowboys are subsidised as it is!), and the interest isn't where the corporate money is (Brisbane) to support a huge amount of teams tbh!

I think the dolphins and an Ipswich club would finish QLD off nicely for RL clubs.

If you read my post, I was not suggesting that QLD have more teams, although you seem to be suggesting that. I think NSW should have less and the other states more, to create a proper national competition.

You want to know why people don't go around Brisbane in Valleys and Norths (Devils) jerseys? Because they know they'll never get into the main competition, that's why. And it's been over 20 years since they were in the main competition. It would have been a totally different situation had the Broncos never joined the NRL and had the two states' competitions merged into a national competition. Then some of the Brisbane clubs would have been in the NRL.

It makes me laugh that you think the Lions have taken over Brisbane so much. Because you want to keep things Sydney centralized so that it will become even worse.

You did have a good idea about the dolphins and Ipswich. The Redcliffe supporters in particular are a fanatical lot and we need more regional based teams to give people more ownership of teams.

t-ba

Post Whore
rugged said:
If you read my post, I was not suggesting that QLD have more teams, although you seem to be suggesting that. I think NSW should have less and the other states more, to create a proper national competition.

Which is a terrible idea. Syndey is a Beta Class World City, with serious financial power. Last year saw the second biggest number of Sydney Punters turn up to games in RL's history...Since 1966 FFS! We've got this market sewn up. If the teams are viable, they should stay. Keep the teams, give Brisbane a few more, Forget Adelaide.

You want to know why people don't go around Brisbane in Valleys and Norths (Devils) jerseys? Because they know they'll never get into the main competition, that's why. And it's been over 20 years since they were in the main competition. It would have been a totally different situation had the Broncos never joined the NRL and had the two states' competitions merged into a national competition. Then some of the Brisbane clubs would have been in the NRL.

Newtown and Norths merchandise is stil visible in Sydney...The Broncos were a very large mistake though. The Dolphins and Valleys probably should have got the nod when they wanted in the mid 1980's, or The consolidation of Sydney should have happened before the Broncos were allowed in. As it is, Fans of all Sydney clubs feel it is their clubs birthright to be in the national comp, when maybe (maybe!) it shouldn't be.

It makes me laugh that you think the Lions have taken over Brisbane so much. Because you want to Sydney centralize things more so that it will become even worse.

Go to Sydney. See how much Swans and Waratahs gear you see. You'll understand what I'm saying. I lived in Nundah for a few years in the early 1990's. There was NO AFL gear when I was a little fella in Brisbane. It might be off the back of a threepeat, but the Lions have a Massive profile in this city that the Swans would kill to have in Sydney.

You did have a good idea about the dolphins and Ipswich. The Redcliffe supporters in particular are a fanatical lot and we need more regional based teams to give people more ownership of teams.

It's needed. Regionalism, given enough time, will also develop into a healthy tribablism.

NRL_man

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
So what happened to the Knights in this revamped NRL?
Sorry forgot about the Knights :oops: My mistake

Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury Bulldogs
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
Northern Eagles
North Queensland Cowboys
NZ Warriors
Parramatta Panthers
St.George Sharks
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers

brendothejet

First Grade
Look,

Rugby League is a tribal game. It is built around the closeness of your rivals.

With the expansion teams (brisbane, canberra and later NQ, NZ and Melbourne) the key is the tribalism steps up. Instead of wanting to beat the next suburb you want to beat the next state or country.

The sydney teams should stay. They are the foundation of the game and we have already seen too many sydney sides die.

That said, we need Perth, CC, 2nd NZ, 2nd Brisbane.

Theres 20 teams. 20 rounds. simple.

RABK

Referee
OVP said:
Why on earth would you want to merge us with the Bulldogs ?

Great call. :Lol:

Competition without Newcastle? :lol:

Our local NRL comp will generate bigger crowds then a new NRL without Newcastle.

NRL_man said:
Sorry forgot about the Knights :oops: My mistake

I know............you were in "noddy" land when you wrote the original thread :lol:

Without Newcastle you would be doomed before first ball was kicked ;-)

The Dodger

First Grade
heres an idea, having the same idea as the english premier league where they relegate the worst teams to a lower division.

(cant be bothered explaining in detail)

DPG said:
heres an idea, having the same idea as the english premier league where they relegate the worst teams to a lower division.

(cant be bothered explaining in detail)

could imagine what sort of crowds they would get, like the rabbits do now probley

Angry_eel

First Grade
ShArKsMaN said:
u are basically killing something i love about RL and thats hatred between teams and their fans and the sense of tribal warfare everytime the Saints VS the Sharks or the Panthers VS the Eels.
Yep, if Parra and Panthers were ever merged i would give it a serious thought to go to swans games in the winter.

Angry_eel

First Grade
nospam31.c said:
you may as well start goin now :):)
Mate trust me. At the moment there is nothin worse for me than a AFL fan but if a Outer west merger ever happens the worst thing would be sitting next to a panthers fan wearing the same jersey.

t-ba

Post Whore
Angry_eel said:
Mate trust me. At the moment there is nothin worse for me than a AFL fan but if a Outer west merger ever happens the worst thing would be sitting next to a panthers fan wearing the same jersey.

Welcome to my season 2001 :lol:

Latest posts