What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player you thought was a diamond but ended up a rock

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Rhys could come close to being called a one season wonder. He was quite serviceable in 2001-2 in a side that didn't win many games, had his total breakout season in 2003 (as did quite a few of his teammates), then was again serviceable for a couple of years after that. You could notice even in 04 he didn't run quite the same, he took a bit longer to get into stride.

Decent seasons in 2002 and 2004 save him, I suspect.

wesser took just 138 games to register 100 tries.
129 career tries.
113 tries for the panthers. A club record.
Also holds the record for most tries for a fullback in a season. 25.
His rep career was stuck behind some star players but imho he was superb.
There weren't much better in full flight than thus merkin

to_ddeath

Coach
Richie Williams
The Kennedy brothers (Dragons u20s)
Millard
Farrell
Reece Simmonds
Kerr ?? (Forgot first name..Tigs junior with huge wraps who turned into a flop fast..early-mid 2000s from memory)
Vidot
Widders
Stringer

Johnnie Red

Juniors
Richie Williams
Millard
Farrell
Reece Simmonds
Kerr ?? (Forgot first name..Tigs junior with huge wraps who turned into a flop fast..early-mid 2000s from memory)
Vidot
Widders
Stringer

Vidot may end up to be the Rock!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Denan Kemp is the first one that jumps to mind. Thought he was an elite winger, ended up being a one season wonder spud

Danish

Referee
Has anyone mentioned absolutely every player from the warriors U20s for the last 5 years yet?

Bazal

Post Whore
Dean Widders was a ripper for Parra I thought, harsh to include him and Paul Stringer

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Richie Williams
Millard
Farrell
Reece Simmonds
Vidot
Widders
Stringer

Keiran Kerr. Came to nq and didn't play a game. Remember he switched clubs 3 or 4 times in the same year with a UK move in the middle

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
This

So much this

Hurrell doubling the amount of linebreaks of whoever was 2nd in that year had the makings of a beast. Although he has shown it in some instances I'm sure the record holder before him in the 20s moga would gladly swap a few acl repairs for the chances the hurrellicane has been given

mongoose

Coach
Ryan O'hara. Had a great season in 2003, got selected for origin in 2004 and played about 8 minutes. Thought he was too good for canberra and moved to sydney, was barely a first grader 12 months later.

mongoose

Coach
lol

Perhaps you're just not a very good judge if you thought players like mclinden would achieve more than they did.

Mclinden was a serious weapon in his rookie year. He could have been anything. He couldn't tackle though and had a poor kicking game.

no name

Referee
Mathew Rodwell.

1992 Rookie of the Year.

By 1994 wasn't even playing first grade.

While he didn't play first grade in 94, he did go on to play first grade all the way through to 2001.

But agreed, he didn't live up to the potential shown in 92.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Has anyone mentioned absolutely every player from the warriors U20s for the last 5 years yet?

Like Taukeiaho? ;-)

Seriously though, our U20's have been overhyped for some time just because they were dominant (and largely dominant off being biggers/stronger/faster than most teams more than anything skill or tactics related).

Having said that, there are guys who have come out of our system and gone on to not be rocks with us or other teams. I'd say we'd have quite a reasonable list of genuine first graders who have come out of our system, but not the diamonds that people may have thought they looked like playing in such a dominant team.

Meth

Staff member
Konrad Hurrell looks like he might be worth a shout at the moment. I hope his career gets back on track.

Meth

Staff member
When Feleti Mateo came to us, we were all very excited. He turned out to be a dud, sadly. Our coaching might have had something to do with that, but evidently not entirely to blame.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1993%20REGINA%20BASE%20165%20DIMOND%20CRONULLA.jpg

Charlie124

First Grade
Who was that 50uff$ winger from a couple of years ago, Asian heritage I believe? Came from nowhere and scored approximately four thousand trys that year and looked to be the next Nathan Merrit (pre-career ending origin performance) only to disappear into rugby union obscurity.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Who was that 50uff$ winger from a couple of years ago, Asian heritage I believe? Came from nowhere and scored approximately four thousand trys that year and looked to be the next Nathan Merrit (pre-career ending origin performance) only to disappear into rugby union obscurity.

2l6ot1.png

betcats

Referee

This guy is the opposite of what the thread is about. Had to make his own highlight videos and send them to clubs to get a contract and looked pretty good once he get a chance and then took a big money offer to play Japanese rugby. He is a rock that turned into a diamond somewhat.

Latest posts