What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A revolutionary idea?

Lambretta

First Grade
What schoolyard did you grow up in? We kept score from as early as I can remember...sometimes arguments about the score would lead to fistfights.

You knew from such an early age that the school yard was your only chance of glory didn't you?

How did you find someone who could count?

:p

adamkungl

Immortal
I thought I was going easy on you. ;-)

FTR, I haven't even clicked on the DJ thread. Any other thread would be more interesting.

So how's the revolution going?

You missed out on a quality thread :lol: CLINT AARDVARK!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I thought I was going easy on you. ;-)

FTR, I haven't even clicked on the DJ thread. Any other thread would be more interesting.

So how's the revolution going?

It's not going real well, but thanks for asking. :lol:

I'll give the idea a run on the french forum, it will be interesting to see if it goes better.

You have to admit though, it is interesting that at the club level forces are in place to maintain an even competition, whereas at the international level these forces implicitly seem to be completely inappropriate. Nevertheless I have trouble getting my head around why this is the case. Can anyone put this into words?

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal

I'll give the idea a run on the french forum, it will be interesting to see if it goes better.

You have to admit though, it is interesting that at the club level forces are in place to maintain an even competition, whereas at the international level these forces implicitly seem to be completely unappropriate. Nevertheless I have trouble getting my head around why this is the case. Can anyone put this into words?

Simple - without some financial equality, some clubs would be thrashed out of existence. Doesn't apply to internationals. No matter how many times they get belted, England will have a side as long as their club competition exists.

Frailty

First Grade

You have to admit though, it is interesting that at the club level forces are in place to maintain an even competition, whereas at the international level these forces implicitly seem to be completely unappropriate. Nevertheless I have trouble getting my head around why this is the case. Can anyone put this into words?

Hmm....

miguel de cervantes

First Grade

cheers

Simple - without some financial equality, some clubs would be thrashed out of existence. Doesn't apply to internationals. No matter how many times they get belted, England will have a side as long as their club competition exists.

I disagree. Plently of league clubs exist without copious amounts of NRL funding. Without a salary cap clubs would drop out of the competition, presumedly to be replaced by others. The cap is applied for the better of the competition.

Upon reflection, I think the real reason is related to the selection criteria for international teams, which (supposedly) gives international teams meaning - same for SoO. The same condition doesn't exist for clubs. No one cares where players come from to play for a club, applying a cap is thus not perceived to be unjust. Conversely, does this not weaken the meaning of what a league club is? If not, why can't the same logic be applied to international teams?

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
cheers

I disagree. Plently of league clubs exist without copious amounts of NRL funding. Without a salary cap clubs would drop out of the competition, presumedly to be replaced by others. The cap is applied for the better of the competition.

Upon reflection, I think the real reason is related to the selection criteria for international teams, which (supposedly) gives international teams meaning - same for SoO. The same condition doesn't exist for clubs. No one cares where players come from to play for a club, applying a cap is thus not perceived to be unjust. Conversely, does this not weaken the meaning of what a league club is? If not, why can't the same logic be applied to international teams?
You could effectively halve the competition without a salary cap. Very few clubs actually make a profit and rely on grants from the NRL as well was financial backers without a return on investment... ie Crowe, Politis etc etc.

Most clubs barely make enough to pay the bills, you remove the restriction of trade and quite a few teams will no longer be competitive and then that pushes fans away.

To be honest, the East coast of australia doesn't have a big enough population to support 16 teams, I can't believe the NRL is talking about increasing that number.

Latest posts