What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a rugby league expansion team in west aus

Kurt Angle

First Grade
If they have a plan... a REAL plan, they need supporting methods leading up to the introduction.

If they decide 2012, they need to play some tests, one in 2010, one in 2011, ask the kiwis to reverse their ANZAC test decisionto play some ANZAC tests in perth, some PNG ones.

The ARU sent some tests over here, even if they are meaningless one-sided games like vs Fiji, vs ireland or vs Fiji. Just build up an environ of "We, the ARL give a sh*t for the people of WA".

They aren't as close minded to sport over here as they are in Melbourne, and one corporate should be an easy approach.. Bankwest.

They are looking to expand over the east coast, and nothing with give them greater east coast exposure than RL.

HAL

Juniors
the nrl should start taking more club games there to perth especially with lowly ranked clubs at the bottom of the ladder and play around origin time to capitalize tv exposure.

hopefully nrl coverage will get better in perth apparently they are showing the final series this year live so that could mean origin coverage next year(this could build more momemtum to gain more fans to the game)

what you think

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The have showed Sunday games live or near live here in WA, 1:30 live for finals, 2:00pm delay for normal sunday arvo footy.

GF will be live I believe.

Lower table games moved here around Origin has merit.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
WA side will be in the NRL by 2012.

I am guessing more so 2011. They will announce it at the end of 2009 and give them a full year and a half to prepare.

WAR

2008 Jim Beam
2009 QLD Cup
2010 QLD Cup
2011 NRL
2012 Worst case

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like your optimism whats doing but given the little real strategic investment that is happening i doubt it. We make one step forward and take one back here in WA.

What the plan should have looked like:

2005 2 NRL games - Happened and drew resonable crowds
2006&7 - 2 more games - never happened as the NRL were fearful that the Forces introduction would prevent people turning up (WTF??)
2008 - one NRL game, one high profile WC game, introduction of JB cup side (well we'll get one out of three!)
2009 - Reds 2nd year in JB, major push into schools and media. Ch9 commitment to show games live or close to.
2010 - Announcement of NRL Reds franchise for 2012 plus NRL game and a Kangaroos game, Reds in Q'land cup
2011- SOO and NRL playoff game
2012 Intorduction of WA Reds NRL franchise

What of that is likely to happen? Well the Reds JB cup team will, after that who the hell knows???? Short sighted administration will keep our game an insular sport played on the East coast I fear.

shaggy

Juniors
well from what i know that toyota park and the surrounding arears are being redveloped next year so maybe the sharks will take a game to perth again

babyg

Juniors
I hope they do it. More people watching means more tv revenue. i agree the NRL will take a very conservative approach to it, but it has to happen eventually. A new stadium would have been built by 2012 wouldn't it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the world of sport things don't just happen though! It takes planning and investment.

Why shouldn't we use SOO as a vehicle for expanding the game Lockyer4president?

Nuke

Staff member
I would like to see a 4th Origin one year. They did it once to promote League in america somewhere back in the '80s, so perhaps as a one-off they could do something similar for here in Perth. A couple of years later, have it in Adelaide, ect. They won't do it, and I don't necessarily think it's the best idea, but hey it's an idea!

They started having an Origin in Melbourne in the mid '90s, and that certainly didn't harm League at all. If anything, it helped League in Victoria.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Perth Red said:
In the world of sport things don't just happen though! It takes planning and investment.

Why shouldn't we use SOO as a vehicle for expanding the game Lockyer4president?

I'm not a fan of taking origin away from QLD+NSW. Taking a game to Melbourne should be the exception rather than the rule imo. I know people will disagree but I think having an Origin series beamed live into Perth would do more to grow the game than actually hosting a one-off origin match.

dimitri

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
I'm not a fan of taking origin away from QLD+NSW. Taking a game to Melbourne should be the exception rather than the rule imo. I know people will disagree but I think having an Origin series beamed live into Perth would do more to grow the game than actually hosting a one-off origin match.

i disagree

considering there are 3 matches

i like the idea of each team getting a home match, with the 3rd match played in places such as, WA, SA, ACT, VIC, NZ, PNG etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think we need to use whatever effective tools we have to grow the game in this country. SOO is one of (if not THE) most well known RL sporting comps and as such can draw a crowd in non RL areas and help raise the profile of the game in that area. There is only so much the WARL can do and it needs help big time from the NRL.

westie

Bench
Why not tests? We can keep the Origin tradition and advantages and the WA's can actually get behind the green and golds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
errr because the Kangaroos have A) virtually no profile outside of the East coast and B) they rarely play meaningful games on home soil. Apart from that, great idea!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I agree with westie.

The 4 nations series (Tri Nations plus France) after the World Cup would be a great opportunity to play a Kangaroos game in Perth. The last 3 Nations series had some of the best footy I've seen and now with more games to be played there's an opportunity to take one of the homegames to an expansioon area.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Perth Red said:
errr because the Kangaroos have A) virtually no profile outside of the East coast and B) they rarely play meaningful games on home soil. Apart from that, great idea!
So the Roos are in the same position as the Wobblies were 5 years ago, look at the profile they have in Perth now thanks to playing a 3 Nations game there every so often.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lockyer4President! said:
So the Roos are in the same position as the Wobblies were 5 years ago, look at the profile they have in Perth now thanks to playing a 3 Nations game there every so often.

Not really, the Wallabies have a massive profile everywhere. It's RU that doesn't. Same as socceroos, hardly anyone can name more than one player but everyone wants to watch them play. Don't undertsand it but it is about marketing and the Wallabies have always been very good at that (just look at how long it has taken us to get Kangaroo gear in Australian Airports when the Wallabies have been there forever)

Strangely an EnglandvNZ tri nations game is probably likely to draw a bigger crowd and be more marketable in perth than a Kangaroos game.

Having said that ANYTHING at the moment would be better than what we have!

NK Arsenal

Juniors
I'd prefer not to expand the NRL. 16 teams is a good, round number. But I can not see teams folding and/or being kicked out of the comp like Souths did or re-locating.
There is a real need for Perth, Adelaide, Wellington and Central Coast to get teams. I think in 2011 we should have 18 teams and in 2016 we should have 20. No need for more teams after that.
Perth & Wellington should be the 2011 teams and Central Coast & Adelaide being the 2016 ones.

shaggy

Juniors
their wont be a central coast team unless another team relocates as the nrl has said that their are allready to many teams in sydney, so they wont add another one

but i agree with one state of origin game being moved between wa, sa & vic, so each state has one game each, the game i suggest moving is the second game as the series is still alive