What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ABC 7:30 Report

newman

First Grade
I cant believe this didnt get a run in here.

Soon after the ''blackest day in Australian sport'' press conference on February 7, federal Labor politicians, including ministers, began briefing journalists, telling them how inadequate had been rugby league's response to the ElephantJuice crisis.
''Hopeless'', ''light years behind the AFL'' and ''shithouse administration'' were some of the words used, with the politicians further diminishing the NRL by praising their hero, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, and his swift move to link the AFL and Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority in a joint investigation of Essendon.
It didn't matter the ARLC's new boss, Dave Smith, had been in the job only a week. In fact, he attended an Australian Crime Commission briefing on January 31, a day before his official duties began.
The February 7 press conference was the first time any member of the Cronulla board had heard of the ElephantJuice crisis or sports scientist Stephen Dank. One board member immediately called Sharks football manager Darren Mooney and asked, ''Who is Stephen Dank?''
Advertisement
He was told Dank had only been at the club ''five minutes'', when, in fact, it had been five months.
The Sharks board moved swiftly, despite the NRL counselling them to go slow. Their prime concern was that this season not begin with a football department facing serious governance issues.
They engaged barrister Trish Kavanagh, a former member of the board of ASADA's predecessor, ASDA, together with their own lawyer Darren Kane. To be doubly certain, they engaged Alan Sullivan, QC, who provided advice which accorded with the Kavanagh/Kane recommendations. Auditors Grant Thornton were engaged to oversee the process, particularly as it related to the degree of culpability of coach Shane Flanagan.
Despite the World Anti-Doping Agency code making athletes responsible for anything that enters their system, the board sought answers. Their critics argue their prime concern was to exculpate themselves from guilt. But management had reported nothing to the board. That is, the ''system'', failed the athlete.
The system - the football department of coaches, trainers and medical staff - was therefore disciplined. The two employees, Mooney and Mark Noakes were terminated and the doctor/physiotherapist, being contractors/consultants, were informed their services were no longer required. Flanagan was initially stood down but when a subsequent forensic investigation into the email trail linking the staffers demonstrated no knowledge of Dank's activities, he was reinstated.
How Essendon would wish they had taken the same action. Seven months after the Cronulla board acted, the AFL has charged their coach, doctor, assistant coach and football manager with bringing the game into disrepute. They stand accused of supervising a program where they cannot demonstrate players were not injected with harmful/performance-enhancing substances.
It is this same lack of governance that prompted the Cronulla board to act. And they had less warning than Essendon, whose chairman, David Evans, was given sufficient information to self-report his club to ASADA and the AFL before the ''blackest day'' press conference when Cronulla directors first learnt of a drug culture at their club.
The Cronulla board's reward was to be voted out at this year's elections, replaced by a board that ran on a ticket of reinstatement of the four sacked officials. The new Cronulla board cited a QC's opinion to justify the reinstatement, yet would not show it to Bruno Cullen, the Sharks chief executive, nor invite him to meetings where the matter was discussed. Cullen, whose salary was funded by the NRL, subsequently resigned, probably with the support of headquarters who would not want to be funding an executive divorced from his board.
The ''blackest day'' press conference was designed to frighten footballers into coming forward. The ministerial ''we will get you'' threat misread the mindset of professional players whose success depends on not panicking and whose culture is not to ''give up'' their mates.
Yet, a month later, when Sharks players were reluctant to accept six-month bans, the politicians were accusing the NRL of incompetence, despite the club board being months ahead of Essendon in taking action.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-the-sharks-20130820-2s9eh.html#ixzz2cekCbJ38

Foz

Bench

The thing that I took out of that whole interview is we got fined $150 k for the salary cap breach.
Previously I couldn't work this one out as we had no money in 2011.
So whats happened here is we were under the cap (Didnt break the cap limit like some were implying) but Didnt report a 3rd party payment.
I can see where people would assume if youre doing this with one deal there could be others but basically if this was just reporting incompetence $150k is one hell of a fine.
Have I got this right or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
The thing that I took out of that whole interview is we got fined $150 k for the salary cap breach.
Previously I couldn't work this one out as we had no money in 2011.
So whats happened here is we were under the cap (Didnt break the cap limit like some were implying) but Didnt report a 3rd party payment.
I can see where people would assume if youre doing this with one deal there could be others but basically if this was just reporting incompetence $150k is one hell of a fine.
Have I got this right or am I missing something?

You've got it right, and it needs to be a serious fine because it is a serious issue. Not declaring a 3rd party payment has the potential for clubs to breach the Salary Cap...

We are just too useless to do this.

Foz

Bench
You've got it right, and it needs to be a serious fine because it is a serious issue. Not declaring a 3rd party payment has the potential for clubs to breach the Salary Cap...

We are just too useless to do this.

Thank you (great admin by our guys).

Just wondering if that sort of breach has happened before to another club ( one off not like the Melbourne situation) and copped a $150 k fine or are we the only ones that can make that stuff up?

Last edited:

carinashark

First Grade
We are still the easy target. Look at Manly, they get away with everything ( Brett Stewart), just stay quiet and tough it out. It goes away as the media move on.

eddiesmith

Juniors
Thank you (great admin by our guys).

Just wondering if that sort of breach has happened before to another club ( one off not like the Melbourne situation) and copped a $150 k fine or are we the only ones that can make that stuff up?
There seem to be a number of them every year, but I don't think they are usually that high

carcharias

Immortal
We are still the easy target. Look at Manly, they get away with everything ( Brett Stewart), just stay quiet and tough it out. It goes away as the media move on.

brett stewart?

Mate out of all the farked things Manly has done this was not one.

He was proven innocent.
The chicks own father was the arse wipe who tried to black mail Stewart.
His own family dobbed him in.

Wish our club stuck by its players a bit more.