What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About myself - IMPORTANT READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight87

Juniors
I will try and keep this as simplified as possible, although I warn you that this may be a long post. However, I feel that it is worth the read:) I know Reg Reagan wrote an autobiography called "About Me", but what I'm about to write is a tad bit more serious than that.

To all the people on the Newcastle Knights Social forum at LeagueUnlimited,

I have finally broken my silence and built the courage to introduce myself. I was going to when I first joined these forums nearly a year ago, but I was unable to without feeling very emotional and overwhelmed, as I was going through an extremely difficult period in my life just before I became a member at the LeagueUnlimited forums; undoubtedly the BEST RUGBY LEAGUE FORUMS ON THE NET! OH YEAH! :) . So, my apologies. Although I have been here for nearly a year, the majority of you may not know who I am. Although what I am about to write is just 10% of what the final product would be if it was the full version, I hope after you have read this that you feel compelled or inspired to not just support the Knights (that is if you are a Knights supporter), but more importantly to give more in your own personal life, make the most of your opportunities and to remember that what has been given to you (privileges, benefits, blessings, material possessions etc.) can also very easily be taken away. So, make the most of every day:).

In case you do not know who I am or have not seen me post here (well, I was on the radio yesterday, and here was a summary of what happened and also with a bit of commentary on another very unfortunate and important rugby league issue, which I am sure most of you are aware about: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=194859), my name is Nick.

I will finally ’come of age’ and turn Twenty One years of age on April 10 (10 days time). I have been a proud Newcastle Knights supporter, having the unique privilege of attending nearly one hundred matches since 1994 (including the famous 2001 Grand Final triumph against Parramatta) and have tried to study all the technical aspects of the game since then. I do recall every match I've attended. The first match I ever went to was against St George, as a seven year old. It was one of only three matches ever to have obtained over 30,000 people at EnergyAustralia Stadium (then known as Marathon Stadium), and it was an absolute joyful experience to sit on the then-Eastern Hill, bathed in sunshine and having my soul immersed on a beautiful Winter’s afternoon on Sunday. The Knights won 24-14; a scintillating try to a then-20 year old Andrew Johns near the posts, as he sidestepped his way through the Brian Smith coached-Dragons, was the icing on the cake (I still cannot believe I am now the same age that Joey was back then). Nearly fourteen years later in 2008, the game has changed so much then, it is not even funny. Once upon a time, before league got hit by the Super League war…….(Nick starts to reminisce, lol!). Infact, today is exactly 13 years to the date, when the Super League "war" officially broke out (when Peter "Bullfrog" Moore walked along Sydney Harbour at night, holding in his hand the fax sheets of clubs and players who decided they were going to 'defect'. Moore, a then ARL loyal board member, decided to stab them in the back and sell half of the game: half of the game to an organisation. Half of a game that will never be able to be retrieved)

I've written tonnes of memos and commentaries on the Knights over the years. I've only released a few of them on these forums and also other ones (as most of it is not intended for public use). I've even tried my hand (just for fun) at writing actual match reports (provided with my own pictures from digital camera), but my forte is writing analytical stuff, like Phil Gould's segment in the Sun Herald (instead the only difference between me and him is that I don't get paid thousands of dollars to waffle on about things that any average rugby league supporter can regurgitate). However, I’d never get a look-in into this path, as normally within Rugby League circles, people who have played the game at a high level are more respected than someone who hasn’t played first grade level (I know that may not sound fair, but unfortunately, that’s the stereotype you will find). All these journalistic feats are completely opposite to what I’m doing at university. Incase you’re wondering, mathematics is my true forte.

Since moving down to Sydney for university reasons 2 years ago, I have not been able to attend as many games as I use to when I lived in the lower Hunter region, but I still try to get to the Knights away games in Sydney when I'm able to get to. I will be away from April 10-13 in the Hunter, and when I am there, I will try my best to get to the home game against Brisbane. If I'm unable to, I'll definitely be at Gosford the following week against Sydney Roosters. I love the Knights dearly, have supported them for a long time, as mentioned earlier, supported them through crap times, such as the Super League war and in 2005, when they had that horrific 13 loss streak. What is a shame is that although Rugby League is, in my opinion, ‘the greatest game of all’ and is achieving record television ratings, high crowd attendances etc., on an administrative level, we are still only achieving at a fraction of our true potential (for more of what I’m talking about, refer to the above link that I posted in the 2nd main paragraph). I don’t have time to explain that component in this post. I know there are many loyal league supporters at other clubs who have also said the same, and I’m sure there are some Knights supporters who are thinking along the same wavelengths as me. I feel that it is time that all of us passionate league supporters, who’ve have been splashed in the mud throughout the years (screwed over by “major organisations”), deserve 1000x better than what we are getting (again, refer to the above link, although theres many aspects, I’ve only focused on one in that link).

Onto the non-Rugby League matter, I have been asked many times in my life, “What is one personal characteristic about yourself that you’d like to share, that not many people know?” So, I’ve decided to go with two that is most relevant to those who read this. The first one is that I have a keen interest in the interests of others. From a very young age, I've always been intrigued with "What inspires people to do what they do, what is the driving force behind what they do, why do they do what they do". It's amazing how much early life experiences shape and mould who you become later on. I remember seeing an ad on tv a couple of years ago, about how "Children do what their parents do". Incase you want to see it, here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gbkM_3teyQs. I know a lot of ppl at uni laughed at it when it first came out, but there is so much truth to the ad.

However, the second characteristic is the more important one. The second personal characteristic about myself that I’d like to share, it would be that I'm very sensitive and understanding about the deep, personal, suffering and pain of others (whether it is emotional or physical pain), especially having endured a lot of pain during the near-21 year course of my life (and have come close with death on a couple of occasions). It’s not until you have experienced the later, that I just said, that you begin to realise how fragile human beings really are. So many times, especially in Australian popular culture, we treat and think some people are God, but all of your castles and wealth can be taken away from you in a split second. I’ll try not to mention names of famous people, but I’m sure you could name a lot of people who were not very good people at all and treated people like crap their whole life, were pidgeons one day, and then turned into a statue the next day. Having the privilege to experience success and mature rapidly at a young age (doing some HSC subjects at 14 yrs of age), I understand that there is only one side of success you see: that is the side that you see when someone is doing well. But, what you don't see is the 'package deal' that comes with success: The pressure, the scrutiny, the rejection and as a famous Robert Frost poem is titled, "The Road Not Taken". Before I wrap up, I’ll focus on one example, it was very heartbreaking to see what happened to Andrew Johns last year. I can only imagine what was going through that head of his. To see the face of devastation, distraught and guttedness, as he looked into Phil Gould's eyes was something that even he couldn't believe. However, when I saw him on the Sunday Footy Show a couple of weeks ago, he looked like a changed person: I could see the personal change in him and the aura and vibrant character he was emitting. It was not so long ago, I read in his autobiography, he had contemplated suicide. But, I’m so happy he didn’t follow through on that, because what a terrible tragedy that would’ve been for himself and his family.

When I think of what Andrew Johns endured, it reminds me of one of the most underrated and not-so-popular quotes by a famous actor, Michael Landon. Just weeks before he was about to die of cancer, he said:

“Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows.”

So in conclusion, I leave you with that challenge. Whatever it is, do it now! If there's ever one piece of advice that I could possibly offer to anyone, it'd be this: If there's someone in your life that you wanted to tell that you loved them, and never got across to doing that, do it now! It's no point saying it when the person is dead (which is heartbreakingly sad to see at many funerals today, where all words meant nothing when they treated the deceased victim like crap when they were alive. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). I could’ve said more, but that’s (what I hope) a brief summary of who I am. I’m sorry if that was a bit long. People have asked me for the extended version of it, but some ppl didn’t take it too well and were in tears (LOL! I know that sounds hard to believe). I hope you enjoyed reading it. I am extremely grateful for the life I've had, for all the many memorable moments, achievements and memories experienced over the years and I don't take anything for granted. All the best with whoever you may become and achieving your goals and dreams, always be yourself and God Bless You always.

And also, GO THE KNIGHTS!

PS If you need to ask me any more questions, feel free to. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

PPS Happy April Fools Day for tomorrow.

PPPS To finish up on an April Fools Joke, "If you don't turn up to peoples funerals, they definitely won't turn up to yours"

Knight87

Juniors
Well, all I will say is that you are entitled to your opinions and thoughts. But, then, if you have the gutless nature to randomly throw insults and call other people bad names, which have nothing to do with what someone is saying, you are the one that has serious problems and your rudeness won't be tolerated on this forum.

TooheysNew

Coach
But, then, if you have the gutless nature to randomly throw insults and call other people bad names, which have nothing to do with what someone is saying, you are the one that has serious problems and your rudeness won't be tolerated on this forum.
It won't? News to me.

I'm sorry mate, I guess we are all just confused as to what the f**k this post is? Is it a question? Is it the beginnings of an auto-biography? Is it for us to pat you on the back?

macavity

Referee
eerm

you mentioned something about religion and saturdays.

my guess was SDA

must be jewish then?

Knight87

Juniors
Oh ok. Sorry, macavity, I didn't know what you were talking about.

Yes, indeed I am a SDA. Very good guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts