What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Gilchrist is boring

Craig

Juniors
Mr Angry said:
You people talk like 172 of 126 balls is a bad thing :?

It was against a rubbish bowling line-up. Hondo, Ervine and Bligaut are hopeless with the ball.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Craig said:
Laxman is elegant, Gilchrist isnt.
I would say Laxman is elegant and Gilchrist is exciting.
There is no denying that crowd makes a lot a noise and rises to their feet when Gilly is at the crease.
Both are match winners.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Craig said:
Mr Angry said:

It was against a rubbish bowling line-up. Hondo, Ervine and Bligaut are hopeless with the ball.
Granted, but FMD it was great to watch. Where is Laxman's 172 against them?

T

Juniors
Craig said:
Mr Angry said:

hondo is crap, ervine has taken 12-13 wickets in the vb series and
blignaut has raw pace but needs to bowler with accuracy. not the worst bowling attack. if others scored 172 they would get credit he deserves a little from some of you guys. and by the way there is no way he is boring he plays the game most of us would like to see and play our selves -pure attack :!:

Anonymous

Juniors
Pure attack is nice, but his batting is just so ugly! Laxman is definitely not boring, in this series he has a) scored at a more than acceptable rate and b) as always, played attractive strokes.

I don't see how just scoring runs or hitting boundaries is exciting- scoring runs is 2 guys running up and down, hitting boundaries is a ball hitting a fence. Surely exciting batting is attractive batting?

And Mr Angry, I will continue to make you angrier and angrier until you can come up with a good reason why I shouldn't compare Kallis to Sobers. :p

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Thierry Henry said:
And Mr Angry, I will continue to make you angrier and angrier until you can come up with a good reason why I shouldn't compare Kallis to Sobers. :p
:lol: No problemo, does not make me angry, makes me loose all respect on your opinion of cricket, I am pretty sure I am not alone in that.

Gilchrist is ugly, Kallis compares to Sobers, keep em coming, it is your reputation as a cricket fan not mine. ;-)

Anonymous

Juniors
Well Kallis' batting isn't quite up with Sobers but his bowling has been more successful. Sobers stats indicate his bowling has been overrated over time, unless you have some great explanation for an average well into the 30s.

simon says

First Grade
Ill admit Gilchrist isnt pretty but boring........ :roll: :roll:

Next thing you will be telling me Sehwag is boring too,that guy is the ugliest batsmen,doesnt move his feet but gee he is exciting to watch.

I think you are sounding like a snob.Gilchrist is an excitement machine.He deserve nothing but praise for his style of play,which draws in crwods and sponsors.

aqua_duck

Coach
Let me put it this way
Would you rather see 100 runs off 88 balls for example or 100 runs off 120 balls?

Would you rather see a slashing front foot drive or a technically perfect front foot defensive block?

Would you rather see a ball sail over the fence or a ball bouncing into a fielder's hands?

Gilchrist's record in both forms of the game speaks for itself, I mean bashing the ball has obviously worked for him more so than any other keeper batsman at the moment. I mean is there any international coach who would turn him down?

budz

Juniors
Craig said:
Tamazoid said:
Laxman? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He only pops singles.

When you taken your Australian coloured glasses off and you will show you nothing little, you find heh its quite a few boundries.

Laxman is elegant, Gilchrist isnt.
Yeah i agree Craig. I personally would much rather the elgance of Laxman compared to the smashing of Gilly. And even someone like Dravid do a cover drive is just awesome. I put Gilly in the same kinda class as someone like Gayle, Jayasuriya and Klusener. Big hitters but hardly elegant. I dunno about excitement levels but id much rather an elegant four compared to a one which is just smacked.

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't know. It is a pleasure to watch an elegant batsman, but big scores from people like Gilchrist, Klusener etc. are always fun to watch.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Gilly is boring.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a big call mate, he is one of the most entertaining batsmen in the world.

Anonymous

Juniors
If Adam Gilchrist is boring, then I'll eat my hat.

If Gilly is boring then that says alot for the rest of the worlds batsman then doesn't.

DJDL

First Grade
Yeah I was fortunate enough to have Gilly bore the shit out of me in the morning session at Lords a couple of years ago.

He may not have the grace of Laxman or Mark Waugh or any of a number of other players but I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

As for Kallis / Sobers and Sober's bowling average, the man was regarded as more of a batting all-rounder. A bowling average of 34.03, over 93 tests, and including 235 wickets is more than acceptable.
Throw in his batting average of 57.78 and he is by far the best all-rounder to have played the game.

Interestingly enough though, Kallis (on stats) is about 2nd. He has a the 2nd best batting average of all-rounders to score 1000 runs and take 100 wickets (53.26), and his bowling average is a little better at 30.23
Still, he is 77 wickets behind on 152, and has 17 matches to take them in order to catch Sir Garfield.

Craig

Juniors
knights04 said:
If anyone is boring it's Laxman

I'm questioning your knowledge of the game here. You never saw Chris Tavaere bat did you or Ken Barrington bat?

Craig

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Let me put it this way
Would you rather see 100 runs off 88 balls for example or 100 runs off 120 balls?

Off 120 balls

aqua_duck said:
Would you rather see a slashing front foot drive or a technically perfect front foot defensive block?

If it is on a green wicket, then it isnt a good idea to play a slashing front foot drive and no footwork.

aqua_duck said:
Would you rather see a ball sail over the fence or a ball bouncing into a fielder's hands?

Depends if a fielder is standing on the boundry where the six was hit. If a fielder is there, not a good shot as you could have got out.

aqua_duck

Coach
Craig said:
aqua_duck said:
Let me put it this way

Off 120 balls
So you like to see blocking and leaving compared to boundaries? Well you must have different taste to other people, and what is better for the team?

aqua_duck

Coach
Craig said:
aqua_duck said:

If it is on a green wicket, then it isnt a good idea to play a slashing front foot drive and no footwork.
I'm asking what would a person rather see? I mean if you're the type who likes watching front foot defensive blocks played with perfect technique than obviously one day cricket wouldn't be for you

Craig said:
aqua_duck said:

Depends if a fielder is standing on the boundry where the six was hit. If a fielder is there, not a good shot as you could have got out
Since when could you get out if a ball bounces into a fielder's hands? Mate there's no one bounce one hand rule like you play in backyard cricket. Btw you didn't answer my question, would you rather see Gilchrist play a pull shot that sails over the fence or Rahul dravid play a technically better defensive block shot that bounces into a fielder's hands?