What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Gilchrist is boring

Anonymous

Juniors
Don Juan de Lotto said:
Yeah I was fortunate enough to have Gilly bore the sh*t out of me in the morning session at Lords a couple of years ago.

He may not have the grace of Laxman or Mark Waugh or any of a number of other players but I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

As for Kallis / Sobers and Sober's bowling average, the man was regarded as more of a batting all-rounder. A bowling average of 34.03, over 93 tests, and including 235 wickets is more than acceptable.
Throw in his batting average of 57.78 and he is by far the best all-rounder to have played the game.

Interestingly enough though, Kallis (on stats) is about 2nd. He has a the 2nd best batting average of all-rounders to score 1000 runs and take 100 wickets (53.26), and his bowling average is a little better at 30.23
Still, he is 77 wickets behind on 152, and has 17 matches to take them in order to catch Sir Garfield.

A fair post. Kallis is more of a batting allrounder as well. He is still in his 20s and is likely to end up with a bowling record similar to Sobers, although at his current rate he might edge past him for wickets. ATM he has a better bowling record and is well on the way, considering his current form, to get very very close to Sobers batting record.

Anonymous

Juniors
Would you rather see 100 runs off 88 balls for example or 100 runs off 120 balls?

Hardly matters. They'd both be good innings. All comes down to the quality of the shots played.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Summary of today's Australian innings.
The first 15 overs were very boring as Australia raced to 100, stuggling to keep my eyes open, I was. Then Martyn hit a classical cover drive to wake me up a bit, watched as he and boring old Hayden had a good partnership, Martyn was working the ball well along the ground, making 2's out of 1's I was getting really excited as he and Hayden pushed the ball into the gaps and ran well. Then Symonds came in and my god I was almost comatosed as he hit 66 of 34. When done Australia where 359. I am very sleepy now. Thanks Symonds, Gilly and Haydos for boring the crap out of me.
I'll need a nap before I watch India try and chase that total down, If they get close, I may never wake up. :shock:

aqua_duck

Coach
Mr Angry said:
Summary of today's Australian innings.
The first 15 overs were very boring as Australia raced to 100, stuggling to keep my eyes open, I was. Then Martyn hit a classical cover drive to wake me up a bit, watched as he and boring old Hayden had a good partnership, Martyn was working the ball well along the ground, making 2's out of 1's I was getting really excited as he and Hayden pushed the ball into the gaps and ran well. Then Symonds came in and my god I was almost comatosed as he hit 66 of 34. When done Australia where 359. I am very sleepy now. Thanks Symonds, Gilly and Haydos for boring the crap out of me.
I'll need a nap before I watch India try and chase that total down, If they get close, I may never wake up. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man Symonds put me to sleep, those ugly 6's and 4's, it was like watching lawn bowls.

Dingle

Juniors
haha good call. This thread is dead set ridiculous!
Cricket is about scoring runs isn't it?
Seeing someone do this very well should be exciting right?
Mate i think you need a head check!

knights04

Bench
Can't say I've seen Tavare and Barrington. I'm guessing you have seen John Crawley one of your favourites obviously :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What about the partnership between Simmo and Clarke.

50 run partnership off 20 something balls.

Boy was that ugly.

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
What about the partnership between Simmo and Clarke.

50 run partnership off 20 something balls.

Boy was that ugly.

Try 110 run partnership off of 8 overs. Was magnificient watching it live!

Doctor

Bench
knights04 said:
Worst cricket thread ever

Ditto to that - I'll emphasise this point in my best sarcastic comic book man voice: " Worst cricket thrread everrrr ! " :roll:

I was about to go into how silly the suggestion Gilchrist is boring is, but now realise the sheer lunacy of dignifying the thread with serious discussion.

Gilchrist Man of the Series - ahead of Laxman who scored three centuries and others who performed admirably well like Streak, Williams, Hayden, Ponting etc.

That'll do - I think most people have made the points well.

ak47

Juniors
to all you spoons that think gilly is boring
to all you half wits that reckon its better to hit 100 of 120
to all you shit4brains that think slogging isnt proper batting

ITS CALLED ONE DAY CRICKET
your primary objective is to score the most runs possible from the least balls faced

seeing that is ODI, and the reason World Series Cricket was invented ur comments about gilly are absolute utter horse shit with nothing but cats piss on the side.

Wake up to yourselves they arent wearing whites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am right to assume your opinion of the best ODI players is one with a lesser average and a lesser strike rate - if thats the case its very unaustralian, so i hope for our sake u arent.

Azkatro

First Grade
This is almost an argument of one day cricket vs test match cricket. They are different on countless levels. The 15 over restrictions of one day cricket invite big hitting in the early overs which Sri Lanka really pioneered in the mid 90's. I can see where Craig is coming from, but his choice of words (ie boring) are probably not very apt. Brutal and inelegant would probably be more appropriate.

It's a fairly simple argument - some of us here have more appreciation for watching a batsman step up and bash the living shit out of the bowling attack, whereas others prefer to watch the "master craftsman" type approach, the kind of innings which contains no risks but brilliant strokeplay and finesse. Being a big fan of Rahul Dravid as a batsman, you would have to put me in the latter category.

Craig

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Since when could you get out if a ball bounces into a fielder's hands? Mate there's no one bounce one hand rule like you play in backyard cricket. Btw you didn't answer my question, would you rather see Gilchrist play a pull shot that sails over the fence or Rahul dravid play a technically better defensive block shot that bounces into a fielder's hands?

Since when did I say that?

I'm saying seeing a ball sail over the rope but if there is a fielder there it isnt a good shot because you can get out.

So what is wrong with a technically perfect defensive block? At least you didnt get out.

Craig

Juniors
Oswin said:
Ditto to that - I'll emphasise this point in my best sarcastic comic book man voice: " Worst cricket thrread everrrr ! " :roll:

I was about to go into how silly the suggestion Gilchrist is boring is, but now realise the sheer lunacy of dignifying the thread with serious discussion.

Gilchrist Man of the Series - ahead of Laxman who scored three centuries and others who performed admirably well like Streak, Williams, Hayden, Ponting etc.

That'll do - I think most people have made the points well.

Laxman made 4

The Colonel

Immortal
Azkatro said:
It's a fairly simple argument - some of us here have more appreciation for watching a batsman step up and bash the living sh*t out of the bowling attack, whereas others prefer to watch the "master craftsman" type approach, the kind of innings which contains no risks but brilliant strokeplay and finesse. Being a big fan of Rahul Dravid as a batsman, you would have to put me in the latter category.

I have seen Dravid bash the living sh*t out of bowling attacks as have two of the more elegant batsman of recent times- Tendulkar and Mark Waugh. I have also seen Gilchrist play innings without offering chances, filled with brilliant strokeplay and finesse rather than carting it all over the field.

If I want to see master craftsman I will watch test cricket (which I prefer) however having watched the game live at the SCG last night Hayden, Symonds, Gilchrist, Kartik and Nehra will also live high on the list of excitement for their cavalier approach. Gone are the days when 220 was a respectable one day total people - get with the correct century.

The Colonel

Immortal
Highest second wicket partnership of 331 by Tendulkar and Dravid.

S R Tendulkar (c) not out 186 runs 150 balls 20 fours 3 sixes
R S Dravid c Fleming b Cairns 153 runs 153 balls 15 fours 2 sixes

I have to ask how do you finesse a six? ;-)

Craig

Juniors
I dont have anything wrong with fast scoring, but you can score quick without hitting boundaries.

Latest posts