What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Quinlan

Minh

First Grade
One thing is for sure, either the Price Slicers will be having a field day from about 9.30 pm tonight, or they will be holding their fire for another week whilst his supporters sing his praises.
If this thing happens and it backfires this place will be like an 8.6 on the richter scale.
He has to live or die by his decisions and I'm happy for him to be making the calls if this is how he feels it has to be. I don't pretend to be savvy enough to know the ins and outs of the team dynamics that lead to this decision.
I continue to have concerns about Style on the bench, but so far we've managed on 3 out of four occasions.
Big Kahunas by Pricey if nothing else going down this path.

Personally I will give Price credit for having the cajones to make a call like this which clearly points to a selection for the future and not a safety pin. Win, lose or draw I definately won't be complaining about this bold move to select Quinlan at number 7.

Saintsified

Bench
Exactly Minh. ..but when it goes wrong some will still call for his blood.

Damned if he does damned if he doesn't

Dezziedc

Juniors
Exactly Minh. ..but when it goes wrong some will still call for his blood.

Spot on. I think it's worth a shot but we aren't really sure of the reason for this decision - and most likely will never know.

I think Williams definitely has potential, his short kicking game close to the line is fantastic. But he is inconsistent in the general run of play.

Maybe Witt isn't 100% ready to come into FG either and hence the reason to slot Quinlan into the role given Dugan has returned. There are combinations there that are forming with Quinlan so it does make some sense to keep him in the team somewhere. Possibly the Widdop/Quinlan combination is progressing pretty well in training - there was an interview a while back where Quinlan said he spent time watching Widdop videos and spending time with him at training to learn his game. Maybe it is paying off.

Widdop, Quinlan, Dugan, Flo and Morris - that's a pretty exciting offensive line. I think it is looks better that way than having Williams or Witt in there for Quinlan.

Imagine the Widdop chip kick now with Widdop, Quinlan and Dugan chasing through. It's pretty damn mouth-watering.

This one's a bit tricky.

While I'm of the opinion that Q, "the omnipotent one" (it's a Star Trek quote), and Sir Garreth Widdop, could be the halves pairing that will take us into the future, he is our third different half back in only five matches.

The Q's form has been too good to ignore, but the halfback situation is one that I hope we can sort out. And sooner, rather than later.

Remember; The Needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one:).

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade
This one's a bit tricky.

While I'm of the opinion that Q, "the omnipotent one" (it's a Star Trek quote), and Sir Garreth Widdop, could be the halves pairing that will take us into the future, he is our third different half back in only five matches.

The Q's form has been too good to ignore, but the halfback situation is one that I hope we can sort out. And sooner, rather than later.

We have been trying for 40 years to replace Billy Smith so hopefully.:D

giboz71

First Grade
For a coach that's yet to prove himself, these are the moves that will ultimately define him. He has 4 options at half, and Quinlan was probably the least likely.

He's been criticised before for his selections, so this is a brave move. Could prove to be a masterstroke, hope he goes well.

GT0007

Juniors
I've watched on here as ppl have bagged the selection of Witt as he s too old and not the future, I've saw the Williams selection bagged as his defence is suspect but I thought he handled that however he had those 2 drop balls against the Sharks which could've changed the game and his 2 midfield kicks/chips against the Broncos did us no favors and now I'm watching the bagging of the Quinlan selection from a few. All 3 of them have some good qualities but are all very different players. IMO Witt is the safest option but if we don't score enough points then Price will be hammered for that or if Williams has another brain explosion. I think Williams has potential so I hope we resign him and if the worst we do is Witt at 7 then we are ok. In regard to Quinlan he is scoring a try every 2nd game and a try assist and his defence is sound up in the line, I think it's suspect at fullback with players with a full head of steam charging at the line but it is with other fullbacks. Quinlan has a good passing game so if the players run into holes they will get a good ball, if the defence concentrates too much on the runners and not Quinlan it will be at there peril. His short kicking game is ok but not as good as the other 2. I heard Price say Quinlan as too quiet last year to play in the halves but he said that has improved.

Our biggest issue today is the loss of Frizz so I hope the forwards take on this challenge and meet it otherwise it won't matter who is 7 as we'll just be throwing it to Dugan and hoping for the best, we need go forward.

dragonreddy

Juniors
All the writings on here about Quinlan at half back seem to miss a couple of points: we buy two blokes who play HB use them for a couple of games then boot em,we then put an inexperienced player in ,in Quinlan and because he played ok at fullback then call it a masterstroke and he will be our answer at 7 ,so after sticking the majority of last season with a below par 7 Price now wants to play a 3rd player at 7 in 5 games,FMD hes a genius ,you blokes are delusional.

GT0007

Juniors
All the writings on here about Quinlan at half back seem to miss a couple of points: we buy two blokes who play HB use them for a couple of games then boot em,we then put an inexperienced player in ,in Quinlan and because he played ok at fullback then call it a masterstroke and he will be our answer at 7 ,so after sticking the majority of last season with a below par 7 Price now wants to play a 3rd player at 7 in 5 games,FMD hes a genius ,you blokes are delusional.

It doesn't matter who we bought or what for, the last 2 games Williams has come up with 4 important errors and I suspect Witt isn't 100%. No one is basing anything on Quinlan playing fullback it is based on how he played 5/8 last year and his form has been good this year. There are many ppl that think that 7 is his position and I've been suggesting it for nearly 12mths so it comes as no surprise to me Price is giving him a shot given that he gives us points and we have a good organizer in Widdop. Sterlo who knows something about halfbacks also suggested it a week or 2 ago so maybe your missing something here, time will tell I guess. Apparently he played in the halves in juniors so he's not foreign to the position and as stated played 5/8 last year under difficult circumstances

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
The other point to add is that quinlan ended last season in the halves. Why not continue that development, instead of going to the trouble of bringing witt into the team late let alone williams who signed months earlier

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
The other point to add is that quinlan ended last season in the halves. Why not continue that development, instead of going to the trouble of bringing witt into the team late let alone williams who signed months earlier

For depth as you couldn't say 100% certain either player would be a success. I think Williams was earmarked but Witt made some ground up on him. It's nice to know we have good options if we have to deal with injuries or poor form. Maybe we have 1 too many options but its better then no options like last year

watatank

Coach
Quinlan was incumbent in the halves and then spent preseason as backup fullback, losing spot to two new recruits. Why not just keep him in the halves?

TheRev

First Grade

Yep, Quinlan and Kyle have both been stuffed around with their development, though Adam has just filled in 4 rounds at fullback for us.. and done a decent enough job.

Hopefully we get up tonight, there is a lot of negative nellies in the forums this week, reminds me of Round 1 when Witt was selected...

Stanley stuffed around in his development the guy has barely played I admit now being groomed as a dh makes absolute no sense but I'm not the coach.

Mr Red

First Grade

Well said.

dragonreddy

Juniors
It doesn't matter who we bought or what for, the last 2 games Williams has come up with 4 important errors and I suspect Witt isn't 100%. No one is basing anything on Quinlan playing fullback it is based on how he played 5/8 last year and his form has been good this year. There are many ppl that think that 7 is his position and I've been suggesting it for nearly 12mths so it comes as no surprise to me Price is giving him a shot given that he gives us points and we have a good organizer in Widdop. Sterlo who knows something about halfbacks also suggested it a week or 2 ago so maybe your missing something here, time will tell I guess. Apparently he played in the halves in juniors so he's not foreign to the position and as stated played 5/8 last year under difficult circumstances

Nah mate Im not missing anything,one thing i do know is that with 6,7,9 you need stability, if Price were even half a coach he would get Williams aside and help him sort out his deficiences but keep playing him nothing will sap his confidence more than being booted from a new team after a couple of games,everyone keeps talking about Quinlan in the halves last year ,dont the results speak for themselves .Price should be using some of the skills he saw Bennett use to get the best out of players( its called man management) and take the bloke we bought to play 7 and work with him,unfortunately i doubt this bloke is even aware of the term probably cause it wasnt in the under 7 coaching manual.