What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Pandas NRL Bid News

Click to become a free member of the Adelaide Pandas

• Click for a free membership

Votes: 62 81.6%
  • Click for a free membership

Votes: 14 18.4%

• Total voters

shaggs

Coach
I think it was great that the titans sent down 17000 fans to the game. C'mon sharks 500 fans was ordinary.

Boy

Juniors
My work is being used for evil.
images

sheepbender

Juniors
Now that the jerseys have been ordered. And whilst it took a bit of effort to get a decent amount of orders to get it done.
Is anyone keen on coming up with a rival team for the Adelaide Pandas? Im fairly keen, Ive been thinking about it for a month since I got banned on here.
I cant wait for my jersey to come, but would love to come up with a rival team for our fantasy Pandas.

We could suggest place names, team names, and colour schemes. Then have a vote on it, then everyone who wants to design a jersey can do, and then we'll critique and vote.

So whos up for it?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Now that the jerseys have been ordered. And whilst it took a bit of effort to get a decent amount of orders to get it done.
Is anyone keen on coming up with a rival team for the Adelaide Pandas? Im fairly keen, Ive been thinking about it for a month since I got banned on here.
I cant wait for my jersey to come, but would love to come up with a rival team for our fantasy Pandas.

We could suggest place names, team names, and colour schemes. Then have a vote on it, then everyone who wants to design a jersey can do, and then we'll critique and vote.

So whos up for it?

I've always liked the idea of a team called the Browns with a king brown as their mascot. Maybe we could call them the Darwin/Northern/NT Browns and have their colours be orange, yellow and (obviously) brown.

mattystans000

Juniors
I always thought Browns would always be a good "State" moniker for NT, in keeping with the Blues & Maroons from SOO. The "NT Browns". Territoria United is my vote for an NRL Club side tho, Territoria was a proposed re-name for NT (along with Kingsland, being right next to Queensland), and United could be used as a inspiring, all of NT, all peoples encompassing moniker.

sheepbender

Juniors
As good as your idea is, Im thinking more along the lines of something outlandish like the Pandas. Should be a thing, not found in Australia, and even somewhat amusing...

The Great Dane

First Grade
As good as your idea is, I'm thinking more along the lines of something outlandish like the Pandas. Should be a thing, not found in Australia, and even somewhat amusing...

Hmm, how about Lycanthropes. Maybe the City of Churches/Church City Lycanthropes, but then again we've already got a Adelaide based team so maybe not. In a attempt at keeping with the Gothic, religious theme you could go with the Christchurch Lycanthropes but I don't know that just sounds off to me. On the other hand if this new team doesn't have to be based in Australia/New Zealand then you could go with the London Lycanthropes, that sounds alright and of course their team song could be Werewolves of London :lol:.

Lycanthropes is pretty outlandish, but one of the main things I liked about the Pandas name was that even though it was outlandish there was a connection between Adelaide and Pandas (no matter how loose a connection it may be) and somewhat realistic, where on the other hand a team called the Lycanthropes/Lycans seems a little to farfetched for mine (with the possible exception of London).

By the way I thought the use of a snake as the mascot for the Browns was pretty original/outlandish.

flippikat

Bench
How about the Southern Keas - named after the native alpine parrot with a huge hooked beak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l0DNaVQ-P4 - the kea in action.

A team representing the South Island of New Zealand - playing most home games out of Christchurch & a couple in Dunedin's covered stadium.

Colour scheme: Green, orange & brown - like the bird's feathers.

Seroiously though - according to Wikipedia, various South Island provinces have the following team nicknames:
Canterbury Bulls
Otago Whalers
Southland Rams
West Coast Chargers

If there was to be an NRL club representing the whole South Island, it would have to have a neutral nickname & neutral colours - the Kea & it's colours fit the bill perfectly.

It's not red & black like Canterbury or blue & gold like Otago or red & white like the West Coast.. and the green/orange/brown would be unique in the NRL :)

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
How about the Southern Keas - named after the native alpine parrot with a huge hooked beak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l0DNaVQ-P4 - the kea in action.

A team representing the South Island of New Zealand - playing most home games out of Christchurch & a couple in Dunedin's covered stadium.

Colour scheme: Green, orange & brown - like the bird's feathers.

Though I like the idea, IMO it sounds strange when you say it out loud. I was toying with the idea of South Island/Southern Kakapo, but it has the same problem.

After thinking on it for a while I came up with South Island Sea Lions, it does not have the same problem, also has just as much history and meaning to the area as the parrots do and most of all it is original (honestly can not think of one major sports brand named after sea lions)(Kea and Kakapo are original to).

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Though I like the idea, IMO it sounds strange when you say it out loud. I was toying with the idea of South Island/Southern Kakapo, but it has the same problem.

After thinking on it for a while I came up with South Island Sea Lions, it does not have the same problem, also has just as much history and meaning to the area as the parrots do and most of all it is original (honestly can not think of one major sports brand named after sea lions)(Kea and Kakapo are original to).

The South Island team doesn't even need to have "South Island" in the team name - many of the New Zealand Super Rugby teams don't have geographical identifiers in their names any more, and they're doing just fine.

Likewise, a name doesn't have to be an exercise in alliteration to be successful - just look at the Boston Celtics or Detroit Red Wings.

If Southern Keas or South Island Keas doesn't work, then maybe just "The Keas" would do the trick?

The Great Dane

First Grade
The South Island team doesn't even need to have "South Island" in the team name - many of the New Zealand Super Rugby teams don't have geographical identifiers in their names any more, and they're doing just fine.

Likewise, a name doesn't have to be an exercise in alliteration to be successful - just look at the Boston Celtics or Detroit Red Wings.

If Southern Keas or South Island Keas doesn't work, then maybe just "The Keas" would do the trick?

Calm down, just my opinion not having a go.

Personally I think all teams should have the area they are representing in their name, otherwise it comes off as if they are not proud of that area.

Never said it did and I agree with you. But that doesn't change the fact that in my opinion South Island Sea Lions is a better name and that fact doesn't change the fact that every bodies tastes are different.

sheepbender

Juniors
Dont think Flippikat was having a chop at you Great Dane haha..

But anyway, I like the ideas. But I guess when the original idea came up for the Adelaide Pandas, I laughed, its amusing, its far fetched and silly, unrealistic and comical.
To come up with a rival team, I think it needs to reflect that. You guys are talking serious expansion team names, this isnt supposed to be serious..

flippikat

Bench
Dont think Flippikat was having a chop at you Great Dane haha..

But anyway, I like the ideas. But I guess when the original idea came up for the Adelaide Pandas, I laughed, its amusing, its far fetched and silly, unrealistic and comical.
To come up with a rival team, I think it needs to reflect that. You guys are talking serious expansion team names, this isnt supposed to be serious..

You've got it sheep bender - apologies to Great Dane.. I think I maybe was taking the thread a little TOO seriously there..

Hmm.. if we're going for comical names, maybe Wellington Wetas could be a go?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weta

Local radio station 2ZB used to feature Wally Weta as one of it's kids characters (alongside a bee named Buzz'o'Bumble), maybe he could be pulled out of retirement as mascot? :)