What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Rams Bid

IowaRL

Juniors
Look at the US as well, focussing on top level with little done to encourage kids to play on a regular basis. Being from Adelaide originally, I'll be eager to see RL get a bigger profile, but it will take a decade to do properly!

Dogs Of War

Coach
We need at least a SA state team at nswcup level,

Wouldn't it be better to have a SA team play in the Victorian comp? It would raise the standard there, as well as probably be a better level to start with. Having one at NSW Cup level would cost a lot more in travel, and you would probably end up with more NSW/QLD players in the team than you really want.

Zigwaa

Bench
The Bulldogs were committed to take one game a year to Adelaide but stopped after 2 years because of a money dispute with SACA. The Sharks did it before that for a few season. There hasn't been any mention of bringing other games here to replace which is disappointing, I think the NRL shold have stepped in to make it happen.

I think it could work like the Melbourne model has, from the top down. Whilst I agree the grassrootslevel up is better, I just don't think it will work in this environment, which is similar to Melbourne's. When kids have the top level to aspire there are going to want to play the game. At the moment they all want to play AFL or soccer.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Once WA enter into the NRL the SARL need to get someone who can lobby the SA government to show them that the state is missing out by not being involved in NRL.

Come up with the usual bullshit figures that a NRL side provides X amount of dollars to the local economy and try and squeeze some funding from them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Remember this? Usual Gallop, all talk and no action. Kids can only play the game if it is available to them. A jnr and Snr school competition is the first thing that needs to be started, this needs funding from the ARLC for development officers and a decent back room staff set up for the SARL.

The NRL wants more matches at a redeveloped Adelaide Oval, identifying the South Australian capital as crucial to expansion of the competition.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/27/3254859.htm?site=adelaide

Zigwaa

Bench
Everytime it got close to the annual game in Adelaide Gallop would talk it up. Heard nothing since July 2011 though.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The Bulldogs were committed to take one game a year to Adelaide but stopped after 2 years because of a money dispute with SACA. The Sharks did it before that for a few season. There hasn't been any mention of bringing other games here to replace which is disappointing, I think the NRL shold have stepped in to make it happen.

It was the AFL who stepped in to ensure it didn't happen.

I think it could work like the Melbourne model has, from the top down. Whilst I agree the grassrootslevel up is better, I just don't think it will work in this environment, which is similar to Melbourne's. When kids have the top level to aspire there are going to want to play the game. At the moment they all want to play AFL or soccer.

You have to understand the context that Melbourne (and Adelaide Rams) where created. It was only because News Ltd wanted teams in those areas at the time. If you were planning it properly, you would never allow that situation to occur.

If you want a successful club, with lots of involvement from the community, the grassroots level is the only way to go. But the time to do this is now. It will be another 5 or so years before the area can be in the running for a team, and by putting in the hard work now, getting those programs running, either by speaking with ARLC to get funds and talks with the SA Govt to get the game played in schools (Even if it's just League-Tag to start with in an Aus-Kick 6 week program), you will find interest in the sport picking up, which may translate into more participants in junior comps, and when that happens more and more teams will spring up, improving the quality of the league.

I do think the that ARLC needs to look at how the State Leagues interact (which is nil currently). You could make a national reserve grade comp, where you play in smaller conferences depending on how many teams you actually have, so if Adelaide has 8 teams, two conferences of 4 teams to reduce costs if you play your more local teams, with the winner (or even both of the grand finalists) of the whole comp going into a knockout comp to play other teams who met similar criteria. It would also be another opportunity for the game to make some money if that stage of the comp could be televised on Foxtel via a game of the round type situation (or even getting someone like the ABC/SBS on board to show that areas team for free). Best 16 teams would only take 4 weeks to happen, if timed to finish at the same time as the NRL finals, the final could be played on grand final day. The best part is that lower rated comps such as Vic, WA and SA would have an opportunity once a year to play higher ranked comps. A break down of something like 4 NSW Clubs, 4 QRL clubs, 2 WA, 2 VIC, 1 SA, 1 TAS, 1 NT, 1 SA (the numbers would change if the quality of a comp improved) represented could really revitalise the game at this level (and who knows, get a little more following of the game at this level).

Last edited:

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
The reason why there's an increased interest in RL here in Perth is one because of the great work that the WARL has put in and two because of the large increase in population mainly due to people from the eastern states, NZ & England looking for work. Apparently Adelaide is on the verge of a mining boom so te second part of the equation may well take care of itself hopefully the SARL can step up and make rapid pprogress as a team from Adelaide would be a good step foward for the game.

adamkungl

Immortal
WA have worked their arses off to get where they are. If Adelaide want a team, prove it.

If we're being realistic, currently they sit behind Perth, at least 1 QLD team, Central Coast, at least 1 NZ team, and PNG.

Zigwaa

Bench
WA have worked their arses off to get where they are. If Adelaide want a team, prove it.

If we're being realistic, currently they sit behind Perth, at least 1 QLD team, Central Coast, at least 1 NZ team, and PNG.

We had an annual game that atttracted 10,350 in 2010 and just under 10,000 in 2011, there's your proof. The game was subsequently taken away in 2012 and we then we left with no NRL in the state.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good start and agree there needs to be a proper effort by the NRL, not just left to the whims of clubs if to take games there or not. We had similiar crowds back in 2005 and have steadily built them up to 16-20k showing the very real potential support for the game. Going to be interesting to see what the ARLC strategic plan for the game includes and if it involves the whole country this time and not just two states.

I still think you offer a club that is financially and membership struggling some serious money to take a regular three games a year for five years to Adelaide. Club has to engage with the SARL, has to do media and coaching clinics, has to support jnr development etc and gets to promote memberships to a whole state of 2mill people. I'd be surprised if there isn't a Sydney club who would jump at the chance of $1-2mill extra income a year. As a condition of bringing the game to Adelaide the NRL should pressure the SA Govt to fund improvements to Hindmarsh stadium to get it up to NRL standard. This would be a very good start to the long road ahead to re establish a Adelaide NRL team in the future.

Hindmarsh could do with the main stand extending and a covered stand on the other side taking capacity from current 16k to around 21k. Shame we didn't get the world cup as this along with nib and a few others would have been properly rebuilt.

hindmarshstadium0226ek.jpg

You can stop your constant should be Cronulla Red. You do some more homework matey and I am confident you will find quite a few other clubs with cash flow issues.

If games go interstate other than melbourne, Queensland and Perth (if and when), it should be a shared responsibility amongst all NRL clubs over a number of years. No one clubs supporters are going to accept losing 3 home games to Adelaide.

They want in, do the hard yards like the other bids.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The advantage of taking 3 games is you can make the place your second home. Develop corporate support in that city as well as a membership base. Don't care if its Cronulla, Manly or anyone else TBH, I just want to see a strategy that helps the game grow in places it is currently struggling in. Advantage for Sydney teams is they can work out a membership that includes 9 home games and 3 ANZ games or similiar so fans are not disadvantaged. Not like you can't watch your team up to 20 games a year in your own city!

Zigwaa

Bench
Good start and agree there needs to be a proper effort by the NRL, not just left to the whims of clubs if to take games there or not. We had similiar crowds back in 2005 and have steadily built them up to 16-20k showing the very real potential support for the game. Going to be interesting to see what the ARLC strategic plan for the game includes and if it involves the whole country this time and not just two states.

I still think you offer a club that is financially and membership struggling some serious money to take a regular three games a year for five years to Adelaide. Club has to engage with the SARL, has to do media and coaching clinics, has to support jnr development etc and gets to promote memberships to a whole state of 2mill people. I'd be surprised if there isn't a Sydney club who would jump at the chance of $1-2mill extra income a year. As a condition of bringing the game to Adelaide the NRL should pressure the SA Govt to fund improvements to Hindmarsh stadium to get it up to NRL standard. This would be a very good start to the long road ahead to re establish a Adelaide NRL team in the future.

Hindmarsh could do with the main stand extending and a covered stand on the other side taking capacity from current 16k to around 21k. Shame we didn't get the world cup as this along with nib and a few others would have been properly rebuilt.

Good points.

I've been doing some research on potential sponsors for the bid/club and there is a lot of potential in mining in the State e.g. Santos Ltd.

Some good "synergy' sponsors - Rams Home Loans (obvious & they currently sponsor the State teams), Elders (Agricultural business, sheep etc).

Some iconic SA brands - Coopers, West End, Villis Pies, Clipsal (sponsored the Rams in 1998 i believe).

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm sure Hindmarsh would have money poured into it if a Rams team was joining the comp. Don't know if there are better spots for a new ground (closer to the city centre perhaps?) that League and Soccer could share. Could be cheaper than redeveloping an old stadium which would still constantly need money plowed into it.

Latest posts