What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustments for 2007.

N.Hindmarsh_Fan

Juniors
Avenger said:
I'm convinced that if we had a running/dominating type of halfback, ie Orford or Gower we could win the comp.

I don't include Johns, he would make me look good.

i reckon smith is still a gun, he is still very young, half backs need to mature, it is a big position to fill. Hagan will fix him up.

parra pete

Referee
Avenger said:
This is just my opinion. I want some serious debate here. (Its nothing personal) :)

1. Hayne to play fullback, Burt to never see that jumper again. He is OK on the wing though.

2. Ben Smith to vacate the centre position. He is too slow and his agility is poor for a centre. Inu to be groomed in his position.

3. Finch to be the obvious 5/8th. Tim Smith to start at halfback and be given about 5 games to perform. If not then give Blake or that new boy Moloney a go.

4. Stop the PJ at no 14 crap. We are a much better side with him at dummy half. He is simply too good to start from the bench.

5. Start Mateo on the bench.

Has he got the ability to improve...that's the question that needs to be answered or was his 2005 season a 'one off'. If Jason Taylor could not give him tips on half back play, maybe Mick Hagan can perform a miracle. I don't think Hagan will give him games...He will test him in the trials and if he doesn't produce the goods, he will look for someone else. I hope the kid responds to Hagan who has worked with Joey Johns, Steve Mortimer, Terry Lamb and brought Jarryd Mullen along very nicely.
Interesting times ahead for Tim Smith, I would suggest. Has he the talent to come back?????

Avenger

Immortal
N.Hindmarsh_Fan said:
i reckon smith is still a gun, he is still very young, half backs need to mature, it is a big position to fill. Hagan will fix him up.

I sincerely hope you are right. I'm just a little sceptical and/or pessimistic.

bartman

Immortal
Serious debate... There's a long off-season ahead of us with a change in coaching staff. I'd like to see whoever performs best under the new regime and new approaches to game plans etc be given the go in first grade.

I have no rigid belief that certain players should be a part of that or that certain players shouldn't be a part of that. If the players people feel haven't performed in the past step up, then all power to them and I'd be as happy to see them first choice next season as I would someone else.

It's all in the attitude, and performance and form. We had all the names on paper at the start of this season, but Brian Smith couldn't get the best out of them, on or off the field. Taylor did a lot better and what players achieved on the field changed (mostly for the better). Remains to be seen how each player responds under Hagan, and I hope there will be no certainties. Except for Hindy...

N.Hindmarsh_Fan

Juniors
Avenger said:
I sincerely hope you are right. I'm just a little sceptical and/or pessimistic.

He has pnly been back two games or something? even johnsy has had shockers coming back from injury.

they also ran at tim all day, need to hide him better.

bartman

Immortal
Don't forget that Hagan is used to and has had some success with an 80 minute hooker, and not a two-hooker rotation. This may have implications on how players are used in 2007. The extra playmaker from the bench may be someone that comes on to the 13 role, not the 9 role?

For example, the season could start:
6. Finch
7. Smith
8. Cayless
9. PJ
10. Moi Moi ?
11. Nathan H
12. Riddell (able to switch to 9 if needed)
13. Whoever?

14. Mateo (into 13 or 6/7, depending on style of play Hagan wants to work towards?)

Similarly, as the season progresses it would be easy for Hagan to choose to swap any of positions 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, 14 depending on what works and what doesn't, or against particular teams. Hopefully nothing is set in stone, and new systems of play will be tried and assessed. Some people may thrive in different styles more than before, and as fans we should keep an open mind.

PIG

Juniors
parra pete said:
Has he got the ability to improve...that's the question that needs to be answered or was his 2005 season a 'one off'. If Jason Taylor could not give him tips on half back play, maybe Mick Hagan can perform a miracle. I don't think Hagan will give him games...He will test him in the trials and if he doesn't produce the goods, he will look for someone else. I hope the kid responds to Hagan who has worked with Joey Johns, Steve Mortimer, Terry Lamb and brought Jarryd Mullen along very nicely.
Interesting times ahead for Tim Smith, I would suggest. Has he the talent to come back?????

Do you think Taylor added anything to our teams structure/ tactically?

Persoanlly I think JT is a great talker and can spin any $hit he wants and make it sound positive. Don't forget JT also did alot of work on Tim's game in 2004/2005.

Working with Hagan is a fresh start for Tim, with fresh ideas....from a former halfback who has worked closely with the likes of Johns, Thurston, Lockyer, Prince and co in his coaching career. Who's JT worked with? Tim Smith and Jeremy Smith. what a resume...next year he can add Joe Williams and Beau Champion to the list.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I cant wait to see if hagen brings any johns type plays and instills them into timmys game....

Finch could also help timmy with his game next season.

This was a character building season for timmy leats see how he does with what he has learnt

parra pete

Referee
PIG said:
Do you think Taylor added anything to our teams structure/ tactically?

Persoanlly I think JT is a great talker and can spin any $hit he wants and make it sound positive. Don't forget JT also did alot of work on Tim's game in 2004/2005.

Working with Hagan is a fresh start for Tim, with fresh ideas....from a former halfback who has worked closely with the likes of Johns, Thurston, Lockyer, Prince and co in his coaching career. Who's JT worked with? Tim Smith and Jeremy Smith. what a resume...next year he can add Joe Williams and Beau Champion to the list.

:lol: How many half backs had Brian Smith worked with though...
Hagan will need to be able to walk on water IMO to get T Smith to change his game. Is Tim a little bit 'gun shy' ......Is he afraid of being crunched?
He reminds me of a timid dog that has had a good flogging at the hands of some cruel bastard....

lucablight

First Grade
I think some people here expect Tim Smith to be man of the match every single game or he has played badly. I don't think he was too bad at the end of the year.

parra pete

Referee
It's unlikely the Baysiders will care greatly about the momentary lapse however, priming themselves to face the all-conquering Norths Devils in next week's grand final at Suncorp Stadium.
Norths has contested seven of the past eight Colts grand finals and produced players the class of Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Dallas Johnson
From FOGS CUP + Colts Challenge Match report written by QRL Media.

I hope the Eels have some talent scouts at Suncorp Stadium next Sunday to watch the Grand Final of the FOGS Colts match....

mickdo

Coach
parra pete said:
:lol: How many half backs had Brian Smith worked with though...
Hagan will need to be able to walk on water IMO to get T Smith to change his game. Is Tim a little bit 'gun shy' ......Is he afraid of being crunched?
He reminds me of a timid dog that has had a good flogging at the hands of some cruel bastard....
After having broken his collar bone, are you surprised at that? His form in 2005 with a kicking and passing game alone should have been enough for us to win the comp, but for the entire team clocking off in the semi. There is no reason why he can't get back to that form again.

Phillips

Referee
Avenger said:
This is just my opinion. I want some serious debate here. (Its nothing personal) :)

1. Hayne to play fullback, Burt to never see that jumper again. He is OK on the wing though.

2. Ben Smith to vacate the centre position. He is too slow and his agility is poor for a centre. Inu to be groomed in his position.

3. Finch to be the obvious 5/8th. Tim Smith to start at halfback and be given about 5 games to perform. If not then give Blake or that new boy Moloney a go.

4. Stop the PJ at no 14 crap. We are a much better side with him at dummy half. He is simply too good to start from the bench.

5. Start Mateo on the bench.

1. agree, either Hayne or Reddy to fullback, Burt wouldnt make my top 17

2. Inu to centre

3. agree, Finch should be 5/8th, and whoever performs best in the off season out of Blake Green & Tim Smith should be halfback

4. Marsh should start every game in the #9 jersey, Riddell to bench, i hope 07 is Riddells last season at the club

5. Mateo is good enough to be in the starting 13

D

Deleted member 10972

Next year for the Eels:

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Ben Smith/Kris Inu
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe
6. Brett Finch
7. Tim Smith
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Mark Riddell
10. Michael Vella/Justin Tsoulos
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Daniel Wagon
13. Chad Robinson

14. PJ Marsh
15. Josh Cordoba
16. Feleti Mateo
17. *Edit: Fuifui Moimoi

caylo

Bench
numberuno... you forgot fui!!
i think we will see timmy start halfback, and unless plays terrible will stay there. He does little things that you might not realise. His kicking long range kicking game found the turf alot, and we was able to get the ball wide. he's attacking kicks where a lil off, but he is genrally very good their, every1 has an off day every now and then. timmy didn't dominate, but u no wot neither did cronk, smith, hill, morris, marsh or piggy... it was a game built on defence, and we did very well to match melboure. if we defend like that all year we would have been top 4, not 8th.

parra pete

Referee
mickdo said:
After having broken his collar bone, are you surprised at that? ]

If you can't stand the heat..get out of the kitchen.....

Look I'm not blaming Tim or anyone else..I just don't think he is as good as everyone makes out....

caylo

Bench
oh my team for next year ;)
Hayne
Inu/Burt
Smith
Tahu
Grothe
Finch
Timmy
Cayless
Marsh
Moimoi
Hindmarsh
Robenson
Wagon

Mateo (wide running backrower)
Riddell (running back-rower/Hooker beackup)
Cordoba
Tsulous

PIG

Juniors
parra pete said:
mickdo said:
After having broken his collar bone, are you surprised at that? ]

If you can't stand the heat..get out of the kitchen.....

Look I'm not blaming Tim or anyone else..I just don't think he is as good as everyone makes out....

He's not. Def not at this stage...he's so raw it's not funny.

If he reminds you of a timid dog thats been smacked around what does Burt remind you of. There were times there today he looked scared to run the ball back. It's embarassing.

Burt was put in the side for his kicking game and it was WOEFUL!

Pazza

First Grade
1.Reddy
2.Hayne
3.Smith
4.Tahu
5.Grothe
6.Finch
7.Smith
8.Cayless
9.riddell
10.Moi Moi