What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustments for 2007.

jayman

Juniors
i dont agree in giving players 5-6 games to prove themselves..

u need to stick with your young kids.. like elliot said.. theres no quick fix option.. stick with ure youngsters and they develop.. u need to give them 50 odd games to really develop.. sounds long but timmys only played 30 odd games.. he needs another year or so under his belt.. same with ben smith..

u cant expect every player we throw into first grade to play like smith and hayne did in there first years.. thats just complete luck..

from what ive seen with hagan.. he generally sticks with the same sort of team week in week out.. stablity will be key next year..

i just hope parra fans dont jump onto finch , smith , or even hayne if they arent preforming early on...

Kornstar

Coach
Blake Green is a 5/8th in imo, he may have been a halfback years ago but he has turned himself into a 5/8th. This year he was started at halfback alot and Mateo at 5/8th and then Green would switch to 5/8th and Mateo to the backrow and that is when Green turned it on.

The man who should be under the most pressure to keep his spot next year should be Finch!!!!! Green needs to be on the bench next year to ease his way in (like Bellamy did with Cronk last year) he is a freak who deserves a shot!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
This is just my opinion. I want some serious debate here. (Its nothing personal) :)

1. Hayne to play fullback, Burt to never see that jumper again. He is OK on the wing though.

2. Ben Smith to vacate the centre position. He is too slow and his agility is poor for a centre. Inu to be groomed in his position.

3. Finch to be the obvious 5/8th. Tim Smith to start at halfback and be given about 5 games to perform. If not then give Blake or that new boy Moloney a go.

4. Stop the PJ at no 14 crap. We are a much better side with him at dummy half. He is simply too good to start from the bench.

5. Start Mateo on the bench.

1 yep! but don't rule out Joel Reddy.

2 Inu must improve his Defense to be considered at this stage.

3 Finch will add a great deal depth to our attack.

4 PJ is at his most effective at 14 and shouldn't be shifted unless it's absolutely neccesary.

shiftysmith

Juniors
cannings is still around next year? if so if injury free himself,vella,cayless moi moi and cordoba is not a bad forward back to work with..

Stagger eel

Staff member
shiftysmith said:
cannings is still around next year? if so if injury free himself,vella,cayless moi moi and cordoba is not a bad forward back to work with..

yes he is.

whats with the calls for Reddy at FB, wanting Hayne to 'mature' longer. Hayne now has more FG exp than Reddy, and had more of an impact.

Hayne to FB, and Reddy to wing would be a better option imo. Hayne needs to be as involved as possible. Id love to see him as a bowen/hodgson 3rd playmaker kind of role.

Stagger eel

Staff member
eeelectroshooting? said:
whats with the calls for Reddy at FB, wanting Hayne to 'mature' longer. Hayne now has more FG exp than Reddy, and had more of an impact.

Hayne to FB, and Reddy to wing would be a better option imo. Hayne needs to be as involved as possible. Id love to see him as a bowen/hodgson 3rd playmaker kind of role.

steady on..great young footballer and terrific athlete but has shown no signs of any playmaking ability even in his junior days. he'll still be a great fullback no doubt.

fish eel

Immortal
In my mind, the guys under pressure next season to perfom are Ben Smith, Tim Smith and....Mark Riddell.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Riddell Fishy

I think PJ is one of our better players, so why have him play from the bench

He is certainly better than Riddell atm

fish eel

Immortal
I think we've looked our sharpest with PJ Marsh at dummy half.

The more time he spends on the field, the better we seem to go.

True EEL

Bench
Riddell when playing well start the game off with good intensity, but i agree that PJ Marsh needs more time on the field and Hagan is a different coach who like to use a dummy-half for the entire game - ala Buderus

so maybe next year PJ does start and Pig plays off the bench as a running forward more than anything or even 2nd Row or lock (starting)??

i used to think Burt was bets at fullback and although he had a good game there yesterday, i just don't know - add to that i was happy to let Hayne stay on the wing, however he has shown a willingness through his own initiative to get involved and try and make things happen, meaning he is probably wasted on the wing.....i see fullback or centre...

what is the story with Joel Reddy, has he been playing well in PL?

Ben Smith - i know he was just back from injury, but i don't know about him either - his defence is great in the centres, but i still come back to my orginal impression of him when i first saw him in first grade in late 2004 in that i think he does lack a certain level of spark and mobility to play in the centres and doesn't often create enough opportunities for himself or his winger?? i could certainly see him being moved into the second row, but could be also proved wrong about his future in the centres....

Question: do people think Mateo is mobile enough to play in the centres?

Tim Smith - tough situation for him the last couple of weeks, however it has worried me that he is showing some "Micheal Witt" signs of being good early or in patches and then fading badly late in games or in other patches, but i think next year will be his year - i still have faith - this year was atrocious for him on many levels, cut him some slack

however, glad we have Green, Mateo and Perenara in the wings and this Maloney

overall, i could see the backline looking several ways:

Burt, Hayne, Tahu, Smith, Grothe, Finch, Smith......or

Reddy, Burt, Hayne, Tahu, Grothe, Finch, Smith.....or

Hayne, Burt, Tahu, Smith (or someone else), Grothe, Finch, Smith

but the again Hagan may go in many different directions also....???

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
however, glad we have Green, Mateo and Perenara in the wings and this Maloney

it appears that Perenara won't be with us next year as he's likely to take a break from the game. Hodgkinson and Keathing are 2 halves that could be very useful.

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
Question: do people think Mateo is mobile enough to play in the centres?

it's not beyond him, very effective on the fringes and could do some real damage but another benefit is his passing game which in resent times has been outstanding.

True EEL

Bench
eelavation said:
it appears that Perenara won't be with us next year as he's likely to take a break from the game. Hodgkinson and Keathing are 2 halves that could be very useful.

thanks for the info eelavation....

as i wrote that i realised i wasn't certain about his future at the club and yes i am aware of the other two young havles

do you know much about the guy playing in the centres in PL the last few weeks, his initials are TT (like Timana) but he has a wierd name....??

Freak2

Juniors
OK - Let's start again.

Anyone who has not named Luke Burt at fullback and Ian Hindmarsh at least off the bench report to the headmasters office.

2 absolute certainties!

Stagger eel

Staff member
True EEL said:
thanks for the info eelavation....

as i wrote that i realised i wasn't certain about his future at the club and yes i am aware of the other two young havles

do you know much about the guy playing in the centres in PL the last few weeks, his initials are TT (like Timana) but he has a wierd name....??

Taulima Tautai.

He's a young centre who basicaly played the first half of the season in SG Ball, he's medeoric rise to pl has come because of several injuries however he's been very impressive against his more fancied opponents, he knows how to hit a hole and score a try but clearly still wet behind the ears, last week against Norths he was put in the clear by Aaron Wood and was heading around the post when young halfback Trent Hodgkinson called for the ball to score his first try in PL, now it obviously didn't effect the result but coach Culnane was heard to say that if he does again he won't be playing in his side ever again.

He was relatively quiet last Saturday but handled his opposing centre well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So far Im probably gonna go with:

Burt
Hayne
B Smith
Tahu
Grothe
Finch
T Smith
Cayless [c]
Riddell
Moi Moi
Hindmarsh
Robinson
Wagon

Marsh
Mateo
Cordoba
I Hindmarsh

I think the bench looks pretty good.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i think its hard to make these decisions now but:
1. Hayne would look good in the number #1.. however i think Reddy would have a case to answer
2. Ben Smith has been ordinary... i can see him gaining form with a good off season.
3. Finch and T Smith should be our halves and if there is something not going well switch it up...
4. PJ does look good at hooker for 80 however riddell does some great things there
5. No harm in giving mateo a shot but he needs to work for it in the off season