What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjustments for 2007.

Fathead

Bench
I know one thing and that is Hayne has already expressed his 'opinion' regarding the wing position to Hagan and the Club in relation to extending his contract.
He wants to play fullback, just like Tahu wanted to play Centre.

yy_cheng

Coach
On the wing, Hayne can't really make use if his footwork. Playing from Fullback in broken play or kick returns or just in support, he has the chance to make use of his footwork.

So Hayne for #1.

I reckon the # metres that he will gain from kick returns will beat Wade and that's saying volumes. He will also beat the first man too as he is game and confident enough to back himself.

I hate it when Burt returns a kick and runs sideways, stops like there's nowhere to go, and then runs the other way. He makes 10m sideways but no metres forward. If Burt is to be fullback, he has to learn to use his wingers on kick returns. I remember Belcher, a brilliant runner himself, but would always makes use of his wingers if they are in a better position.

I feel for Reddy. It is a shame that he can't excel at Centre or Wing or he would've had his opportunities ages ago. For mine, the Wade/Burt thing this year will become a Hayne/Reddy thing for next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw:

6. Mateo
7. Finch
9. PJ

From newcastle teams, go forward with no fancy stuff type forwards is what Hagan likes. You gotta get the forwards to make room for the backs.

Riddell will be a starting 2nd rower or 5/8th.

1. Hayne
2. Burt/Inu/Reddy
3. Smith
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Mateo
7. Finch
8. Caylo
9. PJ
10.FFMM
11.Hindy
12.Riddell
13.Wagon

14. Chad
15. Tsoulous/Vella
16. Cannings/Cordoba/Vella/iHindy
17. Lowrie.

I hope fluffy comes back and rips into PL.

Sean7

Juniors
I don't want to see Burt a fullback again. His cleaning up at the back is okay (I don't mean defense), but he looks petrified to run the ball with any kind of force. Hayne's running game from our own half has been great of late. I'd love to see him given a shot at fullback. Burt just puts us under pressure every time he touches the ball because he's so indecisive and always gets dominated. Burt really does do absolutely nothing in attack unless someone puts a kick through for him. That's the extent of his involvement basically.

fish eel

Immortal
ppl like eela probably saw more, but I'm sure he played a bit of centre earlier in the year in premier league....didnt do poorly, but didnt exel either from what I saw.

Avenger

Immortal
fish eel said:
ppl like eela probably saw more, but I'm sure he played a bit of centre earlier in the year in premier league....didnt do poorly, but didnt exel either from what I saw.

He has played centre. His defence would be as good as Ben Smith's. He is however faster and more agile then Benny.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Reddy is an option in the centres but I think Ben has an edge on him there, tbh I think Joel would struggle to play centre in NRL.

Redback71

First Grade
2. Ben Smith to vacate the centre position. He is too slow and his agility is poor for a centre. Inu to be groomed in his position.

dont forget hes still getting over his knee injury and is not 100% remember last year when fully fit how often he crossed the line.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
Then Reddy must hit the weights and play 2nd row like his dad. :D

looks can be decieving, he has a very powerful upper body despite the fact the he looks like a straw, you notice when players try and tackle above his waist, they struggle to halt his progress.

I'd like to see a bit more speed in him.

fish eel

Immortal
If I was picking a side for round 1, I'd go with

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Tahu
4. Smith (give him a full off season, but will need to start well to keep his spot)
5. Grothe
6. Finch
7. Smith
13. Ian Hindmarsh/Daniel Wagon.
12. Todd Lowrie
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Nathan Cayless
9. PJ Marsh
8. Fui Fui Moi Moi

14. Mark Riddell
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Chad Robinson
17. Josh Cordoba

The Engineers Room

First Grade
fish eel said:
If I was picking a side for round 1, I'd go with

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Tahu
4. Smith (give him a full off season, but will need to start well to keep his spot)
5. Grothe
6. Finch
7. Smith
13. Ian Hindmarsh/Daniel Wagon.
12. Todd Lowrie
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
10. Nathan Cayless
9. PJ Marsh
8. Fui Fui Moi Moi

14. Mark Riddell
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Chad Robinson
17. Josh Cordoba

If we are doing sides:

1. Burt
2. Hayne
3. Tahu
4. B.Smith
5. Grothe
6. Finch
7. T.Smith
8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Moi Moi
11. N.Hindmarsh
12. I.Hindmarsh
13. Robinson

14. Marsh
15. Mateo
16. Cordoba
17. Vella

18. Wagon

fish eel

Immortal
Avenger said:
I reckon Ian Hindmarsh will start from the bench.

A swap with him and Chad?

I think to a certain extent, Hagan will start with who and what he knows, hence the two Smiths will have a chance to cement their spots...and that's why I also think Todd Lowrie will start.

Avenger

Immortal
fish eel said:
A swap with him and Chad?

I think to a certain extent, Hagan will start with who and what he knows, hence the two Smiths will have a chance to cement their spots...and that's why I also think Todd Lowrie will start.

Don't forget Hagan opted to re-sign him for another 2 years. I do not think its from the bench.

Chad is a much improved player. Too good for the bench.

Avenger

Immortal
I look at the sides that people have picked and I reckon we need to buy another forward. We look a little stale in the forwards. An enforcer or a player that can take plenty of work from Hindmarsh and Cayless. Fui is the only type of player like this that we have.

O'Donnell and Gallen would be nice.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Avenger said:
I look at the sides that people have picked and I reckon we need to buy another forward. We look a little stale in the forwards. An enforcer or a player that can take plenty of work from Hindmarsh and Cayless. Fui is the only type of player like this that we have.

O'Donnell and Gallen would be nice.

we have canning coming back plus tai who can play that type of roll

eels_fan_01

Bench
Avenger said:
This is just my opinion. I want some serious debate here. (Its nothing personal) :)

1. Hayne to play fullback, Burt to never see that jumper again. He is OK on the wing though.

2. Ben Smith to vacate the centre position. He is too slow and his agility is poor for a centre. Inu to be groomed in his position.

3. Finch to be the obvious 5/8th. Tim Smith to start at halfback and be given about 5 games to perform. If not then give Blake or that new boy Moloney a go.

4. Stop the PJ at no 14 crap. We are a much better side with him at dummy half. He is simply too good to start from the bench.

5. Start Mateo on the bench.

1.Agreed

2.Agreed

3.Finch in to play half and Blake to play 5/8 for me. Tim Smith is sh*t.

4.No way, Riddell and Marsh are both good players but i dont think one is better than the other they both havent different styles and they work well.

5.Who the f*cks that?