*AEW Chat*

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling' started by The Vaulting Violinist, May 15, 2019.

1. Rhyno

Rhyno First Grade

Britt Baker just became aew’s newest jobber

Got shown on camera at takeover

2. Scott Gourley's Lovechild

Scott Gourley's Lovechild Referee

Showed a mate AEW this weekend. He absolutely hated it. Looked too choreographed and too many flips, not enough wrestling or fighting.

3. The Vaulting Violinist

The Vaulting Violinist Bench

Yeh I can understand that POV. It’s hard for a high spot to stand out when there are 20 per match...sorta kinda defeats the purpose

4. Scott Gourley's Lovechild

Scott Gourley's Lovechild Referee

It’s just too much. Every match seems to have 2-3 tope’s, the same in top rope moves, and something exciting like a 450 splash is just another high spot before a roll-up win. Add in that all their matches seem to last 20 minutes, it’s just repetitive.

Where AEW excels is their promos. Because the talent has freedom to express themselves, most of their interviews come across as truly authentic.

5. Manurewa_Marlins

Manurewa_Marlins Bench

yeah that indyriffic stuff is played out. I wanna see innovative offense sure, but make it make sense in that 'wrestling' way we all want.

And yeah, the promos are really top notch. The Thanksgiving stuff from Jericho was so damn good.

6. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

It's important to be patient with AEW. Meltzer was talking about it on one of his shows, but when Nitro debuted, it took them four months to reach their debut number. What's apparant to me is that they're trying their best to avoid being a vanity show. Instead of starting big and rushing through all their money matches, they're using their established stars like Omega, the Bucks, Cody etc. to make new stars.

They're also booking it more like a variety show so that elements like Joshi, Hardcore, Tag Team, Records, Ranking etc. stand out. I think it's important for them to establish these elements and to see what's worth persisting with long term and what are some aspects fans simply aren't that into.

I agree that certain aspects of the show drag. A lot of the matches that are designed to be great like Omega-PAC get lost in the shuffle because there's all these other matches going through commercials. Again, I'd like to think they're just experimenting and again trying to introduce a lot of characters at once with the view that by February 2020 they'll have 4-6 new stars and will be able to bring in a Marty Scurll or Luke Harper to help boost the product.

There's a lot of things about the show I like. I just hope as time goes on, they can synergise the show and make it flow better.

7. Manurewa_Marlins

Manurewa_Marlins Bench

I do think the flow is improving a lot though.