What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL 2006 - Round 8

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Bad luck, lads... Carlton smashed by the Saints today!

Stunning scoreline to the extent that Carlton could only get four goals for the match, and all of them came from Fevola. Fabulous game from Reiwoldt, who was back to the form he was in when robbed blind of the Brownlow in 2004. 9 goals to the big CHF meant that he comfortably defeated Carlton on his own.

What i thought was most impressive, was that not all of his delivery was actually any good at all.

Some of the marks he took were sensational. Great game by Nick today.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
You think he had a good game today?

Did you genuinely watch the game?

Didn't have the best game but hardly the worst game in the world Tiger. He was well contained but did set up quite a lot of WC'S go forward. Didn't have the same impact as he did in the few weeks prior. Credit has to be given to his opponents!

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Didn't have the best game but hardly the worst game in the world Tiger. He was well contained but did set up quite a lot of WC'S go forward. Didn't have the same impact as he did in the few weeks prior. Credit has to be given to his opponents!

You mean because Essendon weren't stupid enough to play loose and let this outside mid run free all game?

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
You mean because Essendon weren't stupid enough to play loose and let this outside mid run free all game?

No becuase as s..t as we are we have got reasonable taggers. It is just that we have no actual mids in our team that can win matches! Congratulations to Chris Judd who has played one of the best first 100 games in league history! The great man will continue to gain status as one of the all-time greats of our game!

incomparable

Juniors
Do we finally have a real candidate this year for a coach to be sacked mid-season. Port Adelaide look to be in real trouble after Sunday's performance and maybe a Williams sacking could be the only way that they will improve.

lockyno1

Post Whore
incomparable said:
Do we finally have a real candidate this year for a coach to be sacked mid-season. Port Adelaide look to be in real trouble after Sunday's performance and maybe a Williams sacking could be the only way that they will improve.

What about Geelong or the Roos for that matter! Talk about rabble- I know essendon are rubbish but the Roos are dead ordinary as well! Geelong are awful considering their list!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant beleive how bad the Cats have been playing, from early premiership favourites to contenders for the spoon

chileman

Coach
Jarrad McVeigh, the most underrated Swans player had another blinder......things are looking good for the Swannies to make the top 4 and threaten to go back to back :)

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
OK, I will admit I took licence, what I read was getting beaten by midfielders, not last week.

It happened once, against Polo, on his first game back, and even then he still could've kicked 3-4. In his other 3 games for Box Hill this season he's kicked 6, 4 & 4 respectively. Should be back in the top grade this week, unless suspended.

meltiger said:
Dowler's fit? That's good news, I've never had a problem with Dowler. But Lance is injured again eh? Hmmm at what point do we start bagging the kid off the way Richie got slandered by all and sundry last year?

Dowler looked real deal to me, even though he can do with a few extra kilos. Lacks the more physical style of Kennedy and the extra height of Clark, but of the five main talls from the last draft, appears to read the play the best and make best position. Clark will be excellent I'm sure, but having watched the Crash Bandicoot (as raw as he is) in action, I feel more relieved at overlloking the big West Aussie. I'd be surprised if the Bandicoot didn't get a Hawthorn HFF gig before the year is out.

I thought far too much was read into Tambling's hamstring problems last year.

meltiger said:
*sigh* Mitchell Clarke again ... Some teams Kev, don't feel they need to spend almost every draft pick on KPP. At this stage, we have Cleve, Jay, Adam & Will who all will make it. We also have young Limbach and McGuane at Coburg who are starting to have an impact. Will they both make it? Possibly not, but they have made great strides since Terry came on board.

Its not about spending "every" draft pick on a KPP, its about realising that a) your club doesn't have enough of them (in quality terms); b) recognising that almost invariably, you need to get them with early picks to get the quality options; and c) understanding that Clark was the best option available fullstop by pick 8 (with the possible exception of Hurn).

I think Cleve & Jay will get there, Pattison is unlikely (and won't be a first choice top option) and Thursfield remains just a possibility at this point. Even in the unlikely event that all 6 would make it, you would still be 1 short (in the imediate term) and 3 down in the medium term (with Richo & Gaspar having limited shelf lives ahead).

Overlooking Clark for JON was inadvisable at pick 8, and the Tigers were exceedingly lucky that the Bulldogs and Geelong (the latter were particularly daft) overlooked Hughes, mitigating the Tiger error.

meltiger said:
With Adam at CHF, he possibly won't make it there, although you as well as anyone knows KPP don't come through until their 3rd year at best usually.

Yes, but the signs are almost always there earlier. If a player's reaction time and below the knee work is well off at this stage, it will almost certainly remain off.

meltiger said:
I would have thought long term, Adam would most likely play as a ruckmen as you say. Why TW touts him as a CHF I do not know, but then again, we are not the ones paid the big bucks to develop/coach the club. He may know something we don't.

I think its called only having certain cattle to play with and hoping like hell. I suspect that Wallace trying to turn Pattison into a CHF is the Richmond equivalent of Clarkson trying to turn Dawson into a FB. The latter is in the better position, if only because FB is technically easier to play than CHF, providing the FB in question has his body right.

meltiger said:
As I said before though, I wouldn't be upset to see Jay take CHF, the kid can play and has been held back by a combination of a bad attitude and injuries. From all reports though, his attitude improved out of sight last year when it became clear Terry wasn't going to play him in seniors until he put the work in. His injury this year - He got cleaned up in a text book Aaron Hammil special. Pure bad luck than anything. By the end of the season, Jay will have cemented his spot in the team.

The jury remains out on Schulz, although I suspect he has more potential for making it than not making it. I'd try him again up forward, although if Richmond persist with the Richo obsession, they'll most likely cruel him again. I think his struggles up forward in the past haven't been helped at all by Richmond directing 95% of through ball to Richo.

meltiger said:
Richmond's KPP stocks are not as bad as people make out. If we pick up another gun this year, then we should be set.... Without Mithcell Clarke.

That's a big "if". You take the talented talls high when they're on offer and you can get them.

meltiger said:
Another later thought, we keep talking about CHF ... Cleve was the U18 CHF, why couldn't he be our long term CHF? Kicked 4 goals today for the Burgers at CHF. McGuane was in the bests too.

Absolutely.

Looks a fine prospect at CHF. the thought of having him out at CHF and Clark working the goal square would definitely get me excited.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
re: Cleve
Looks a fine prospect at CHF. the thought of having him out at CHF and Clark working the goal square would definitely get me excited.

See this is the thing Kev, if Cleve can hold down CHF long term for the club, we do have Limbach waiting in the wings.

From all reports, Limbach has actually shown he can hold down FF, the problem is that when moved further out from goal he's not showing anything at all. If he can develop a little bit in that sense, he should be able to hold down FF long term.

He's only being kept in the Burger Ressies because of Stafford/Cleve atm. Cleve being too talented for Coburg and Staff just being too big.

Why do you think Thirsty won't make it? Has played sensational football in almost every game he's played in seniors.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Overlooking Clark for JON was inadvisable at pick 8, and the Tigers were exceedingly lucky that the Bulldogs and Geelong (the latter were particularly daft) overlooked Hughes, mitigating the Tiger error.

The fact remains ... They did overlook Cleve and we were able to take him.

It wasn't a case of taking JON over Clarke btw ... Clarke was never an option after Millers trip........ I can tell you, I am for one happy they didn't take Clarke.

I've mentioned his attitude problem before ... The club overlooked him for a specific reason. If Kennedy/Dowler had fallen through we would have drafted one of them.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Why do you think Thirsty won't make it? Has played sensational football in almost every game he's played in seniors.

I'm not saying he won't, merely highlighting that he's constantly talked-up as a certainty for fullback despite not having played in the position as yet.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
The fact remains ... They did overlook Cleve and we were able to take him.

That doesn't make the initial Clark overlook any more of a mistake, particularly when both players would have been a fantastic get for the club.

meltiger said:
It wasn't a case of taking JON over Clarke btw ... Clarke was never an option after Millers trip........ I can tell you, I am for one happy they didn't take Clarke.

I've mentioned his attitude problem before ... The club overlooked him for a specific reason. If Kennedy/Dowler had fallen through we would have drafted one of them.

This just shows that Miller got taken in by the prolly gossip.

Only a few months earlier, Miller was talking up Clark as the greatest young prospect in history. You need to be wary of the nonsense Chinese whispers that surround certain players every year.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
You think he had a good game today?

Did you genuinely watch the game?

The problem is, Craig, that its the sort of form that is seen as solid and non-descript for most midfielders, but for Judd its pretty much a guarantee of at least 2 Brownlow votes.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
This just shows that Miller got taken in by the prolly gossip.

Only a few months earlier, Miller was talking up Clark as the greatest young prospect in history. You need to be wary of the nonsense Chinese whispers that surround certain players every year.

He was ... Then a particular trip happened.

Clarke wasn't selected by the Richmond FC for a reason.

At 15 other clubs he might be a success, at Richmond he wouldn't have been.

I'll back Miller to the hilt on not selecting him.

meltiger

First Grade
By the way, I should point out ... You've been ruthless in the past, criticising us for being too Richo reliant ... He didn't kick a goal on Saturday ...

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
The problem is, Craig, that its the sort of form that is seen as solid and non-descript for most midfielders, but for Judd its pretty much a guarantee of at least 2 Brownlow votes.

I was actually thinking along those lines watching the game yesterday.

"If Judd polls in this, youmay as well just re-name the medal to the Chris Judd Medal"

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
By the way, I should point out ... You've been ruthless in the past, criticising us for being too Richo reliant ... He didn't kick a goal on Saturday ...

Yes, but you can't read anything concrete into that game, given the objective was to squeeze any life out of the contest for a quick one-off win.

With attack not the objective, Richo became largely irrelevant, hence the reason he was playing in defence during the second half.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Got to say I just got back from the Dons game (flew back this morning). Great atmosphere. Great to see Chris Judd's 100th game, even though it wasn't his best game by his usually exceptional high standards. But a great game of footy. I love the ground we played at! Credit to monfries and a few others who played damn well for the Dons!