What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL 2006 - Round 8

aqua_duck

Coach
hopefully the eagles have found a FF in Quentin Lynch and CHF in Hansen, I;ve nalways thought Lynch had potential but lacked the basic skills like marking and kicking, his hands were great against Fletcher and his kicking wasn't bad either.

CyberKev

Staff member
incomparable said:
Do we finally have a real candidate this year for a coach to be sacked mid-season. Port Adelaide look to be in real trouble after Sunday's performance and maybe a Williams sacking could be the only way that they will improve.

I'm not a big fan of axeing coaches mid-season.

I don't think Williams has a long coaching shelf life left, but Port do have considerable structural problems.

Who gets the head job if he goes?

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
I'm not a big fan of axeing coaches mid-season.

I don't think Williams has a long coaching shelf life left, but Port do have considerable structural problems.

Who gets the head job if he goes?

There's a assistant coach down at Freo that is pretty damn good- his name is MARK HARVEY!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
There's a assistant coach down at Freo that is pretty damn good- his name is MARK HARVEY!

We all know that he's keener than most to get a head job, but how good is he really?!

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Yes, but you can't read anything concrete into that game, given the objective was to squeeze any life out of the contest for a quick one-off win.

With attack not the objective, Richo became largely irrelevant, hence the reason he was playing in defence during the second half.

Not the first time the great man has played in defence this year.

Point though was we still won a game without Matty kicking a goal!

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
We all know that he's keener than most to get a head job, but how good is he really?!

Surely he has to be a certainly for the Shockers gig next season or 2008 at the latest?

I think Incomparable has a point ... They would be getting might feral down Alberton way right now ...

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
You got that right.

Been to the 'new' G yet Kev?

It has reached a new level of excellence.

Other stadiums in this country are just pretenders to the crown...

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Been to the 'new' G yet Kev?

It has reached a new level of excellence.

Other stadiums in this country are just pretenders to the crown...

Unfortunately not.

Worst thing about living in the capital, can no longer take the fortnightly train trip to Melbourne to go to the G.

It was the best place in Australia before the renovations, so I'd still expect it to be so.

On a side note, do you know the cutoff date for club memberships?

Living in the ACT I don't rush to get my membership because I don't attend games live, but obviously I want to buy it before the cutoff.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
On a side note, do you know the cutoff date for club memberships?

Living in the ACT I don't rush to get my membership because I don't attend games live, but obviously I want to buy it before the cutoff.

Well to be counted in the official numbers and be elegible for September, I always though beginning of June.

Not sure how much relevance that will have after Friday's performance :eek:

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Well to be counted in the official numbers and be elegible for September, I always though beginning of June.

Not sure how much relevance that will have after Friday's performance :eek:

Zero minus ten and counting...

September isn't part of my thinking.

I just like to label myself 'hardcore' for buying my membership when everything's going to hell in a handbasket :cool:

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:

Very good. He is very attacking and lets the players do their thing. Much like Eade does at the Bulldogs. Any side would dream to get Harvey!

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
Telstra Dome suck donkeys balls.

Give me the MCG :thumn any day!

I liked the ground though- atmosphere was great and a good quality footy game!

meltiger

First Grade
Kev I had to email Richmond membership to RSVP for a function so I asked the question while I was at it for you ...

She didn't give me a precise date though!

The cut off date to purchase a membership and still have the opportunity to gain access to finals tickets through clubs is up until mid June. Supporters are more than welcome to purchase memberships after this date, but will not be able to get finals tickets through the football club

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Kev I had to email Richmond membership to RSVP for a function so I asked the question while I was at it for you ...

She didn't give me a precise date though!

That's alright, I'm planning to make the purchase on May 31 (next payday) so its all good.

Thanks for that.

camsmith

Juniors
meltiger said:
Meh,

Nothing compares to the atmosphere of a packed MCG

Not even close. I actually dont think the atmosphere at TD is good at all considering a roof should help create a better one.

Just think mate, we only have 2 more games at Telstra Dump. So its not all bad, although most of the other games are anywhere but Melbourne. :(

Just comparing Judd to Hodge.. and whilst i still think Judd is the best player in the AFL at the moment and a match winner, and also that stats dont mean too much these days.. my view of Hodge has gone up a touch with looking at this; http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?seasonID=&SelectedPlayers=386,528,&Compare=Go

CyberKev

Staff member
Stats are only part of the picture.

I get accused (unfairly) of being rabidly anti-Judd on this site, when in reality, I am rabidly against the unfair advantage he gets over other players due to his heightened media profile. That's not his fault, of course, but there's no doubting he gets more softly marked than other players, predominantly because the media has taken a huge shine to his running, line-breaking playing style (as they did with Tim Watson in the eighties).

Judd is also helped at this point by playing in a far better side with far greater support, but he is also allowed to play a game style in which his high points are more readily accentuated. West Coast, with its well documented forward woes, instruct their midfielders to run the ball more and like to get Judd with the ball inside 50 shooting at goal, because midfield goals compensate for their lack of forward firepower. As Judd doesn't have an accurate long disposal, running with the ball tends to suit him better as well.

Hawthorn also has forward deficiencies, but prefer to have their midfielders kicking predominantly to forwards, as they are trying to nurture and develop a capable forward structure that will be a genuine premiership force at some point in the future. Most of Hodge's goals tend to be long running goals from about 60m, and while I'd like to see him have his head to kick more of these, I can understand the bigger picture. That said, at this point our forwards are generally not at a sufficient developmental point to fully exploit a lot of Hodge's delivery. As the Hawthorn forward structure improves, I'd expect Hodge's stock to go up further.

Its true that Judd gleans more contested possession out of the centre than Hodge does. This reality, however, is also obscured somewhat by the different capabilities of each player and the different needs of each team.

At West Coast, Judd is preferred for getting midfield contested possession as his pace and power proves invaluable for breaking the lines and if he can't break the line, he can get a handball away to the more skilled ball users like Kerr & Cousins.

At Hawthorn, Mitchell is the preferred first-up centre player, as he knows how to get the pill, but his disposal skills are not the best on offer. Its better then, to have Hodge just off the play and uncluttered, so that Mitchell can get the ball to him and he can then use his creative kicking to effect.

That said, when Mitchell went down last year, and Hodge was called upon to do more grunt work in the centre, his contested possession rate rose markedly.

Ironically, it is a player like Judd with his pace and line-breaking that would most improve our midfield at this point. That said, I'm more than happy to supplement our midfield with skilled & pacy young outside types, as I maintain that there is no way that Judd would be able to service a quality forward structure in the same way that a player like Hodge could.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
LOL. I love your maths.

Simmonds is on $300k-$350k per season and Ottens is on $500k-$550k.

Hmmm,

there is talk on BF of Simmo being on 200k per year, pretty much what I thought he was on.

Looks like I wasn't the only one.

Based on that, my figures still stand and it totally changes your argument about which club ended up better off when we have Simmo on almost 1/3 of what Brad the coward wanted & Simmo is giving us more along with the fact we picked up Danny & Adam out of the deal, along with offloading Muppet Arms to St Kilda.

Especially given the strong rumour within Richmond circles is that Troy's contract is front-loaded.